"see through" Bonneville farme

strokerlmt

I have a salvage frame that I have attacked with a grinder and sander plus a little professional welding. The idea is to have the real thing "see through" vintage look frame. I also have a salvage seat pan and wiring harness which is opened up. The battery box is gone along with a lot of little chunks. The idea is to run all the wiring into the back of the seat pan along with the battery. They would be hidden by a seat cowl with easy access. The frame has been modified to loose the rear part of the top/tank square frame bar. A professional has welded 2 arms on to pick up the back engine connection point thus removing everything behind the carbs so you see daylight. I pick up the frame tomorrow and will post a picture asap. Thx for looking.
LMT

I added the stock frame for comparison

Got the frame back....couple of pics

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

nohawk

Rocker
Sounds cool LMT! So did you cut the subframe section behind the upper shock mounts off? Ill buy that from you if its been cut.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
LMT,

Would it be possible to install the A123 batteries in the downtubes instead of as a "bundle" under the seat? The positive and negative leads could be accessible at the top of each hollow tube.

The actual size of each cell is 1 1/8" x 2 7/8". So four of them would be about 1 ft. and six would be about 18" in length.

Attachments

• A123 Battery Packs.JPG
    A123 Battery Packs.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

strokerlmt

LMT,

Would it be possible to install the A123 batteries in the downtubes instead of as a "bundle" under the seat? The positive and negative leads could be accessible at the top of each hollow tube.

What is the actual size of one of those cells? I estimated 1.2" diameter x 4" long.

The down tubes are 1 inch and are you saying cut them then put the cells inside then weld back on ?????????
LMT

PS I found a flat 1 inch thick lay down battery I am going to put under the cowl......I will put a simple on off switch for the headlite for start up....then once riding turn on the headlight......

Last edited:

ggRAT

Street Tracker
The down tubes are 1 inch and are you saying cut them then put the cells inside then weld back on ?????????
LMT...

LMT, If the downtubes have an inside diameter that can accomodate the cells stacked vertically, then that seems like an ideal place to store them. Encase them much like you would in a flashlight. Granted this would require some fabrication to the top of the downtubes.

I'm just thinking out loud. This is probably not feasible without building an entirely new frame. But placing these cells either in the downtubes or in the backbone seems like the ideal use of "dead" space. It might also minimize some of the wiring harness.

GREG

Attachments

• A123 Battery Packs.JPG
    A123 Battery Packs.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

strokerlmt

LMT, If the downtubes have an inside diameter that can accomodate the cells stacked vertically, then that seems like an ideal place to store them. Encase them much like you would in a flashlight. Granted this would require some fabrication to the top of the downtubes.

I'm just thinking out loud. This is probably not feasible without building an entirely new frame. But placing these cells either in the downtubes or in the backbone seems like the ideal use of "dead" space. It might also minimize some of the wiring harness.

GREG

from what I can see the internal is toooo little. so u would have to replace the downtubes with a larger diameter. plus the existing downtubes have the muffler brackets actually piercing into the interior of the down tubes so u wouldn't have a clear drop.
LMT

nohawk

Rocker
Bonnevillesubframe.jpg

This part behind the two shock mounts, 1'' pipes with the plate across the rear with the two fender bolt holes. I re-read your post and I think you are keeping it intact. All that was cut off before I bought my bike.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
This part behind the two shock mounts, 1'' pipes with the plate across the rear with the two fender bolt holes. I re-read your post and I think you are keeping it intact. All that was cut off before I bought my bike.

Ask Rodburner to create a new seat frame area using 1.5" tubing and slide the A123 batteries in there! That's another place these little buggers could be stored and yet still be accessible.

Attachments

• A123 in frame.JPG
    A123 in frame.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 0

Texas94fs

Hooligan
LMT when you get it figured out please send me the info on the battery system you go with, I'm planning on going see through as well just without cutting parts off the frame minus the side cover brackets.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
LMT that frame mod will be bad ass! :headbang2: I have always thought the square frame tube was the worst part of the "see thru" bonnie

strokerlmt

LMT when you get it figured out please send me the info on the battery system you go with, I'm planning on going see through as well just without cutting parts off the frame minus the side cover brackets.

Will send as soon as I'm done. The mock up has everything easily fitting under the stock seat cowling.
LMT

strokerlmt

LMT that frame mod will be bad ass! :headbang2: I have always thought the square frame tube was the worst part of the "see thru" bonnie

The square frame tube is ugly. That is why I started messing with the slavage frame. When you move the battery and batt box, all the wiring, fuse box etc, then the side covers are gone and it looks great EXCEPT for the big ugly square frame ....
LMT