"see through" Bonneville farme

rodburner

Rocker
Sounds cool LMT! So did you cut the subframe section behind the upper shock mounts off? Ill buy that from you if its been cut.

Hey,I have a complete,straight Bonnie frame sitting in my shed.I was gonna swap it with my chopped up frame,but that project has been shelved in favor of a custom framed mini bike.I'll sell you the whole frame OR cut off whatever you want and send it to you.

rodburner

Rocker
..I will put a simple on off switch for the headlite for start up....then once riding turn on the headlight......
Lach,I'm using a simple 3 position key switch with the power/starter button in the first position,then another click to #2 for all the lights.Easy and works good. I even mounted it up front in my leather "fuse box".:eeek:

Picture1550.jpg

Rodburner, does your extra frame have a title?

Depending on a few things I may be looking for a titled frame in the next 2-3 months.

I'm thinking about buying a salvage Bonnie motor, building it up to 1087cc, then swapping it into my Bonnie. Then, pick up a frame to slap my motor into, and build another custom Bonnie to either keep or sell. I don't want to deal with title issues, but it seems that's the way it goes.

nohawk

Rocker
Hey,I have a complete,straight Bonnie frame sitting in my shed.I was gonna swap it with my chopped up frame,but that project has been shelved in favor of a custom framed mini bike.I'll sell you the whole frame OR cut off whatever you want and send it to you.

Damn Steve if you dont mind hacking off the rear part of the subframe that would rule. I wouldnt want you to go chopping up a good frame unless you really dont have any plans for it. Ive come to the conclusion that I cant be buying anything for a long while no matter what kinda deals i find on used bikes so I need to make the bonnie a twoseater again.

rodburner

Rocker
If Jeff doesn't want it for his project,then sure,I'll hack off some for you. Check with him to make sure though. No idea how hard it is to license a bike in Texas with a bill of sale..

you guys have your fun. If I need a frame later on down the line I'll look for one. I'm not sure what my next project will be. Thanks for thinking of me Steve. Again.

strokerlmt

Got the frame back. The big square frame piece weighed 2.8lbs...the new piece was 1.2.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
do you think that will be as strong as stock? I don't see how it could be.

I get what you're doing and it will look great, but I'd hate for you to build a flexy-flyer.

strokerlmt

do you think that will be as strong as stock? I don't see how it could be.

I get what you're doing and it will look great, but I'd hate for you to build a flexy-flyer.

Jeff....IMO it is just as strong as stock. I also think it is stronger than the street and dirt trackers that have eliminated 33% of the frame altogether.
LMT

There is no way it's as stong as the stock frame. You have eliminated the most integral motor mount on the main frame loop and placed it at a weaker point of the frame.

Will it matter?
I don't know, but it definitely isn't as strong as it was before.

all of the force from the shocks/engine/swingarm/etc is going directly to this point where the seat part of the frame attaches to the backbone, instead of going directly to the backbone as the stock frame:

framemod.jpg

I would have your pro welder beef up this area with some big gussets. The small surface weld there now is not designed to handle the force you will put on it as you have the frame now.

nohawk

Rocker
LMT,what process did the guy use to weld it? Any info on that and a close-up pic of the weld would be cool. I agree more stress is going to focused there, I dont know about a big HP engine or track days with it but it might just be fine for cruising and it will look real good.

strokerlmt

all of the force from the shocks/engine/swingarm/etc is going directly to this point where the seat part of the frame attaches to the backbone, instead of going directly to the backbone as the stock frame:

framemod.jpg

I would have your pro welder beef up this area with some big gussets. The small surface weld there now is not designed to handle the force you will put on it as you have the frame now.

Jeff....good point. He closed off the square frame. I think gussets there and beef up the frame straight back towards the upper rear shock mounts would be in order.
LMT

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Rodburner, does your extra frame have a title?

Depending on a few things I may be looking for a titled frame in the next 2-3 months.

Sweat, When you get ready, let me know. I have a '08 T100 frame with a salvage title. The bike was totaled due to all the cosmetic damage, the frame is undamaged.

Cell phone photo.. could be better.

Frame.jpg

Thanks Chris! If and when, I'll let you know. I appreciate it. Out of curiousity, what did you want to get for it? Feel free to PM me.

strokerlmt

Damn Steve if you dont mind hacking off the rear part of the subframe that would rule. I wouldnt want you to go chopping up a good frame unless you really dont have any plans for it. Ive come to the conclusion that I cant be buying anything for a long while no matter what kinda deals i find on used bikes so I need to make the bonnie a twoseater again.

Hey...sorry I forgot about this.
Rodburner.....up to you...but nohawk you are more than welcome to have the rear peg muffler bars. You will need to do some welding ;-))
Write me on [email protected] and we can get the address organized.
LMT