67 t120 value?

aleonet100

Two Stroke
Hopefully this week I'm going to have a chance to look at a 67' T120. Just spoke to the owner, the one an only owner about it. An 88 year old guy who thinks he's a bit too old to ride any more. He's used it as his daily rider all these years. The speedometer’s been changed several times over the years so he's not sure about mileage, 75,000 maybe. I’ve also spoken to one of the mechanics who has maintained the bike over the years and it is a no leak, one kick start, no smoke bike. He's really kept it up. Not a show piece but mechanically in very good shape for its age. All original except for the speedometer, carbs (replaced with Mikuni's) and pipes.

Any thoughts off the tops of your heads for the value of such a bike? Value of course is subject to just how much you want something. I just don’t have a clue where to begin though.

The idea of having it sitting in the garage while I spend years making every bolt shine like new is so tempting. This could be that dreamt about find. We’ll see. Just don't want to insult the dude if I were to make an offer.

Thanks.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Like Dandy said, those earlier bikes can fetch a mint. But, the market seems to have stalled for (classic?) bikes. A quick look at ebay, walnecks http://www.walnecks.com/find/search-results/Make-Triumph/Year-1900,1995/Sort-Year:ASC/?sort=1 , british cycle supply http://www.britishcycle.com/Bikes/bikes_for_sale.htm etc are showing bikes that are NOT meeting their reserve which is far below $10,000.

So what's the bike worth to you? How much are you willing, and want to spend. Is it for sale to others, or are you the only one looking at it?

If I wanted the bike, I would be looking to spend anywhere from $5000 to $7000. That would be a fair price range, and what the market is currently floating around.

Good luck and take some pics.

mark66

TT Racer
I know around here that '67 bonneville could go from anywhere around $4000 to over $10,000 depending on condition. Hell guys want $2000 for complete junks with rusted parts all over them and motors that won't turn over. Sounds like the one your looking at is in pretty good condition and would probably bring around $4500 to $6500 here, you know depending on paint, chrome, seat condition and engine. Make him an offer you can afford, (what its worth to you) you can always go up but if you make him a high offer you really can't lower it. Good Luck you'll love it if you get it!

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Crap! now I gotta check craigslist for something similar....

I found three older Bonnies. Ranging from $4k for a good looking runner to $9.5 k for one that looks better and is a bit older. It's a real crapshoot IMHO so as far as I'm concerned you pays yer money and takes yer chances.

Last edited:

aleonet100

Two Stroke
So I finally got a chance to check out the 67’ T120 tonight and all I can say is wow! Maybe you guys can temper my enthusiasm a bit after seeing some of these photos but for a 43 year old vehicle I’m amazed at the shape it’s in.

To get the bad out of the way, it’s been idle for a couple years now. It had been serviced regularly up until then but he can’t ride any more. Tires were deflated and battery is very dead. If I had known I would have brought my charger. (Dude is 88 and may have mis-stated some things in our first phone conversation. Giving him the benefit of the doubt.) Not sure it’ll even hold a charge though as there is some corrosion on the battery. And some of that corrosion has seeped down the left side panel. That side panel is dented and had a small crack near the top. Right header pipe is dented and has some corrosion on the bottom but not cracked or perforated. Seat cover and pad are shot but the seat pan is in very good shape. Other wear items could be replaced. Rubber on pegs, kick starter, grips, etc. Paint on tank is pretty solid but definitely faded and blotchy. Chrome strip on tank is missing. One spoke on rear wheel is missing. Fork gators are shot.

The good news is that mechanically it seems all there. (Really wish I could have started it of course.) Kick start felt solid and engine turned over easily. Everything that moves, moves well and functioned. Clicked through the gears and all felt smooth and precise. (Again, this is while sitting still.) Much of the bike will come back to life with a thorough detail. Chrome and frame paint is in exceptional condition. You can see what my thumb and a little spit did for the rear wheel and front fender.

The owner was very excited to know I live near the mechanic that used to service the bike. Went on and on about what a great mechanic he is and claims that he’d have it road worthy in no time. Also claimed that until the battery went dead all electronics functioned.

I wish I wasn’t just going on what someone was claiming. But sometimes you know when you can take a man’s word and when you can’t. Feel good about him.

Funny thing is he bought the bike new when he was my age. Kinda makes you go hmm…

Again, all and any input is welcome regarding condition and value.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0774 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0774 smaller.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0791 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0791 smaller.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0784 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0784 smaller.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0781 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0781 smaller.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0778 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0778 smaller.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0777 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0777 smaller.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0776 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0776 smaller.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0775 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0775 smaller.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

aleonet100

Two Stroke
And a few more photos...

Attachments

• DSC_0788 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0788 smaller.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0786 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0786 smaller.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0783 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0783 smaller.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0782 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0782 smaller.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0780 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0780 smaller.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0779 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0779 smaller.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0789 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0789 smaller.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0

Kirkus51

Hooligan
It looks like it's all there, except for the Amals. It's also gonna need a good bath and a ton of polishing out some of the parts. I'd offer no more than 4,000 since right now it might be a pig in a poke. If you haven't already run your hands on the underside of the tank to see what kind of grunge is there, I'd do that. That tank might have leaked at one time or might be a leaky one right now. It's fixable but.....

Depends on what you want the thing for. A resto project or a driver or a cafed piece.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
I agree with Kirk. Start off at 4, and I wouldn't go higher than $5000. Go back WITH a battery, fresh gas, and properly gapped plugs, then kick it over.

We in Australia pay more than what I observe is happening in the US. I'd pay 5 with about 6 as the top, so that probably equates to the advice you have already been given of 4 to 5. It looks like the tank may have already had a sealing treatment, remember mechanical parts are inexpensive and plentiful but tanks and side covers are the opposite.

ssjones

750cc
Unless it starts, I'd first offer $2,500 and go from there. The sludge trap could be completely blocked from sitting so long, you just never know. Good sign that it bumps over easily. Cool find, keep us posted!

mark66

TT Racer
I'm kind of with SS, start at $2500 and go up if it's worth it.

You may have thought of this already, but I'd pull the oil feed to the top end and kick the motor over till I got oil out before trying to start it. Also watch the tank for return flow, and if the oil is really low in the tank could be a wet sump condition after sitting for so long. That shouldn't bother anything but you can over fill the tank if its hiding oil. Just a thought.

My 1972 BSA sat for 27 years in the basement before my son and I got it going 2 years ago. Filled it with gas and oil, and he kicked it about 30 times before it would idle, but it came to life.

Good luck, its a great bike, wish it were mine. As long as it was running when he put it away I'll bet you it will run. Of course thats my optimistic view.:up:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
75,000 miles!!!??? Really?! If so, its sure to need a rebuild....

I like it, because it looks original. Make an offer and dicker with him.... start at $3500...top price is up to you ($4000?) , but in your mind add another $1500 to it for the total cost running ready to go. Unless you can run and ride it, you have to price it like you are paying for the frame , tin and parts...and just say a $500 chance that it will be a runner...

champ7fc

Scooter
In 1967 I owned a 66 Bonnie. This bike is going to need alot of work. If the mileage is correct, plan on an engine overhaul. Consider what you plan to do with it. I am restoring a 1971 Commando, started out as a basket case. The more you take apart the more you need to replace and it is not cheap. If you plan on a restoration, the potential is to spend 5- 10K on this bike. Get the bike for as little as possible . This is only my opinion considering what the photos have revealed. Good Luck.

drlapo

Hooligan
an engine rebuild will cost $2500+ for pistons, bore, bearings, valves, guides and seals
paint is $1500, misc perished rubber parts will go for $300-$500, tires cables etc
you can drop $5000 on a rebuild easily

aleonet100

Two Stroke
First of all, thanks for all the great, honest advice and information. Always appreciated.

My intention is to make it a safe, confident, functioning bike. A weekender/around town bike. Once I get it to that point I would slowly bring the cosmetic bits back to life. I don’t have the time or the budget to make it into a show piece. Just a fun bit of history to have in the garage. “Hey kids, lets go work on the Bonnie for a while” kind of thing. Thankfully my 05’ hasn’t presented too many opportunities for that.

As for the offer, that will be decided on one way or the other very soon.

Thanks again.

DandyDoug

750cc
If you do not want to insult the guy , ask him flat out what it would take to own the bike today. If he waffles at all, I would not spend a penny over $2000.00 before I heard it run and did a compression check. He should either be willing to make it run or sell it as is, for a reasonable number. My reasonablr number is not a penny over $2000.00 and probably less.

I just looked at several bikes both Triumph and Norton in a lot better shape than that one for $3500 -- $5000.00
If you want the name of the guy that has them let me know.

aleonet100

Two Stroke
Well he accepted my offer today on the low end of some of the suggestions. :headbang2: This offer was made only after speaking to one of the last mechanics to work on it. Was planning on renting a trailer and picking it up Sunday. Oops, forgot about nephew's graduation party. Will have to wait until Saturday.

Have to move this thread to the Project Zone someday.