"see through" Bonneville farme

tezza

Street Tracker
I know my opinion does not count for much but i dont believe that its strong enough.looks like that without the backbone connected to the rear engine mount the frame has no strength at the join and will tend to want to bend latterely as the only thing holding it in line is the top engine mount which isnt strong enough.but hey give it a shot ,nothing ventured nothing gained.i guess you will know first ride .let us know how it goes ,cheers Tezza

strokerlmt

I know my opinion does not count for much but i dont believe that its strong enough.looks like that without the backbone connected to the rear engine mount the frame has no strength at the join and will tend to want to bend latterely as the only thing holding it in line is the top engine mount which isnt strong enough.but hey give it a shot ,nothing ventured nothing gained.i guess you will know first ride .let us know how it goes ,cheers Tezza

All opinions are appreciated. I am in new territory here once again. I appreciate yours, Jeff, Steve's and Ivar's input. I believe everyone is correct about the square frame loop completely a circle of strength. I have some ideas after seeing Ivar's post....check later and give me your thoughts.
LMT

Texas94fs

Hooligan
My first thought upon pictures was the featherbed frame and the rounded rear downtubes as was just suggested, would be a cool vintage look and still provide the strength necessary, infact you could use two smaller diameter tubes as the backbone have them welded together and split apart where necessary to give you strength and still be able to use the stock tank etc etc. I would do some paint work but I'm computer retarded.

strokerlmt

I wish I could do the featherbed look but it interferes with the chain big time.
Jeff has a very good point about what I call the circle of strength so I believe the attached is what I will do and try things out and see if the frame holds true.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_5712.jpg
    IMG_5712.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
I think what you have drawn there will look worse than stock. It just looks goofy. I'd just run a piece of 1.25" round tubing from the square backbone to the center of the new engine mount. It will be visible, but look better than the stock square tube.

strokerlmt

I think what you have drawn there will look worse than stock. It just looks goofy. I'd just run a piece of 1.25" round tubing from the square backbone to the center of the new engine mount. It will be visible, but look better than the stock square tube.

Jeff.....I thought about that but using a 1 inch bar. It is hard to imagine because the engine and wheel isn't there but the red bar disappears back with teh rear fender. Having said that I am going to mock up both with PVC pipe and see what it looks like.
LMT

tezza

Street Tracker
how about making a u shape out of tube,run it upside down tying it to the rear engine mount and the top to the frame where its been cut then gusset it together. the u shape could be made to the width that looks best.that way the frame will have strength and it will match the look of the rear engine mount.

strokerlmt

After staring an blue tapping and putting a seat pan on these are my thoughts. The frame is very solid. The square back bone is because the back engine mount is offset. To run a piece from the end of the square frame back would defeat the purpose of complete see through. So I'm going to weld a wishbone from the back of the sq frame to the down struts as per the blue tape in the picture. That should beef up the strength circle. Going to go with that. When I get all this shit done I will give the bike a hard run and see what happens.....
Thx for all your input....much appreciated....
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

After staring an blue tapping and putting a seat pan on these are my thoughts. The frame is very solid. The square back bone is because the back engine mount is offset. To run a piece from the end of the square frame back would defeat the purpose of complete see through. So I'm going to weld a wishbone from the back of the sq frame to the down struts as per the blue tape in the picture. That should beef up the strength circle. Going to go with that. When I get all this shit done I will give the bike a hard run and see what happens.....
Thx for all your input....much appreciated....
LMT

After conferring with some builders here is what I am going to set up.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_5716.jpg
    IMG_5716.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 0

Texas94fs

Hooligan
looks like it will be stout enough to handle whatever you throw at it. I'll trade you frames once you are done ha hah a

what are you going to do about registering/titling this new frame? The VIN number will be different than the frame your bike is registered with.

strokerlmt

I am never going to sell my bike.
LMT

Jeff....I just realized.......the blue tape frame I am messing with is my original frame. So once back on the bike I am whole.
BUT...you have brought up a good point. I do not have any knowledge about the DMV. Maybe someone who does could enlighten us about how to handle salvage bikes, frames, engines etc.
Thx
LMT

you can't just swap your engine, license plate, etc into this new frame and legally ride down the road. If you get pulled over and the cop checks the VIN (which is on the frame neck) your ass is in trouble and your bike could be impounded and possibly declared stolen until you prove otherwise. You'll have to check with the DMV in California to see what's needed to legally run that frame. I hope you have a title or bill of sale for that frame or you're wasting your time.

sportyone

Street Tracker
[QUOTE you can't just swap your engine, license plate, etc into this new frame and legally ride down the road. If you get pulled over and the cop checks the VIN (which is on the frame neck) your ass is in trouble and your bike could be impounded and possibly declared stolen until you prove otherwise. You'll have to check with the DMV in California to see what's needed to legally run that frame. I hope you have a title or bill of sale for that frame or you're wasting your time.[/QUOTE]

wouldn't be a trouble anyway if you were to make it outa that invisable HT aluminium I was telling ya all about ! :headbang2:

strokerlmt

you can't just swap your engine, license plate, etc into this new frame and legally ride down the road. If you get pulled over and the cop checks the VIN (which is on the frame neck) your ass is in trouble and your bike could be impounded and possibly declared stolen until you prove otherwise. You'll have to check with the DMV in California to see what's needed to legally run that frame. I hope you have a title or bill of sale for that frame or you're wasting your time.

Once the blue taped frame is back on my bike I have matching engine and frame again. I have titles for my three frames and the other engine I have. I really hate going to the DMV. In CA its an allllll day project. And when you call them everyone is on a break and you can't speak to anyone.
LMT

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Once the blue taped frame is back on my bike I have matching engine and frame again. I have titles for my three frames and the other engine I have. I really hate going to the DMV. In CA its an allllll day project. And when you call them everyone is on a break and you can't speak to anyone.
LMT

I'm thinking your nearest DMV office is in SLO? That would be rough. I went to school there (Cal Poly), and it was a mess then (30 years ago). Depending on what you need to get done, many things can be handled online now. Up here in the foothills I've not had anything take more than a couple of hours, and that was without an appointment.

strokerlmt

So here is the "see through" frame. I was going to put the battery and wiring in a seat cowl but I take the bike apart so much I have opted to put a 8 inch by 10 inch by 1.5 inches deep electronics tray under the seat. I have a new high tech battery from Harris that is only one inch thick. So in the tray goes battery, rectifier, horn, fuse box, and all the other shit that sits behind the carbs.....more when I can see and on't get dizzy and fall down like "arty"
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_5788.jpg
    IMG_5788.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5790.jpg
    IMG_5790.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0