Bonnie or T100

Motley

750cc
I'm giving serious consideration to getting rid of my Yamaha FZ09, next spring, and getting either a Bonnie, or a T100. I'm thinking Bonnie, but would there be any advantage to the T100?

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Assuming you are talking new bikes, it comes down to spokes vs. mags...get the one that has the wheels you like. The T100 is clearly the vintage looking choice...

strokerlmt

I like the T100. Never warmed up to the stock mag wheels. It might be fun to pick up a carbed model and mod a little. Good luck...
LMT

Motley

750cc
I've already got the '05 Thruxton so I'm not really looking for vintage, or carbs. I like the idea of the 17" front wheel, it might mean a greater choice of tyres. I'm just looking for something more relaxed than the Thruxton, although I intend to keep the Thruxton too. The Yamaha, on the other hand, has got to go!

strokerlmt

Motley.......why not change bars to MBARS, use risers, football grips and put Bonne stock footrests on your Thruxton ?
LMT

Motley

750cc
Motley.......why not change bars to MBARS, use risers, football grips and put Bonne stock footrests on your Thruxton ?
LMT

Blasphemy!

But then I wouldn't have a Thruxton. I like my Thrux...I just want something more suitable for two-up, light touring, and running errands.

Mark

750cc
Get the FJ09 which is the best bang for the buck out there ....it's priced really well and is a better bike than your naked. I wouldn't tour on my T100.

Motley

750cc
Get the FJ09 which is the best bang for the buck out there ....it's priced really well and is a better bike than your naked. I wouldn't tour on my T100.

Mark, I wouldn't take another Yamaha if they were giving them away. Cheap junk.

Motley

750cc
really, never heard that before, never having owned one myself all I can say is I've never heard bad things about the bike and your FZ was picked as standard of the year. All bikes should carry the warning "Your Experience May Vary".

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/07/2...cle-world-ten-best-bikes-2015/?src=SOC&dom=tw

But as they used to say in the old Packard commercial "talk to the man who owns one"

You get what you pay for Mark, and these are a relatively inexpensive machine. I was at a multi brand dealer just this morning looking at a leftover '14 blue/white, mag wheel, Bonnie and mentioned that I had ridden in on an FZ09. The salesman said "you kinda get what you pay for, huh?" Magazine journalists won't honestly criticize bikes, otherwise they won't get another to review. That's why I stopped buying moto mags.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
I've already got the '05 Thruxton so I'm not really looking for vintage, or carbs. I like the idea of the 17" front wheel, it might mean a greater choice of tyres. I'm just looking for something more relaxed than the Thruxton, although I intend to keep the Thruxton too. The Yamaha, on the other hand, has got to go!

The handling on the mag wheel machine will be markedly better than the T100. But don't count on a tonne of more tire choices with the mag wheel machines...the rims are too narrow to take advantage of most of the sport bike rubber out there. This was one of the reasons I went from bonnie mag wheels to F3 wheels on my thruxton (yeah, I know...blasphemy!!) - the rubber available for the 3.5" wide front/5" wide rear combination is immense.

Cheers,

--Rich

Motley

750cc
Good to know Rich. Although, as long as I don't have fewer choices, than I've had on the Thruxton, I'll be happy enough.

Man these mag wheeled basic Bonnies are tiny, and very light, in comparison to the '05 Thruxton. They really are a much different bike.

Mark

750cc
Good to know Rich. Although, as long as I don't have fewer choices, than I've had on the Thruxton, I'll be happy enough.

Man these mag wheeled basic Bonnies are tiny, and very light, in comparison to the '05 Thruxton. They really are a much different bike.

around here they are referred to as a girls bike, no offense intended to anyone who owns one, friend of mine had one and quite enjoyed the handling as well as not cleaning the spoke wheels

Motley

750cc
I went and looked at a nice low-mileage 2012 T100 last night. I sat there in the seller's driveway, like an idiot, not knowing how to start the bike. Since when did they require the clutch to be disengaged to get the bike to start?

The ride around the block was very telling. The newer bikes are definitely not like the earlier modern classics. The T100 was a completely different feeling bike from my '05 Thruxton. I want one more than ever now.

Mark

750cc
I believe that my Street Triple needed the clutch in to start also. The T100 is a nice bike, plenty of grunt around 4k, runs out of revs pretty quick but smooth as butter.

mtnbandit

Scooter
T-100

I have a 2012 T100 and really enjoy riding this motorcycle. It is the 110 year celebration model with spokes wheels and a green and silver paint.
The only problem with these bikes are the tube tires you are forced to use and whenever you stop several people of my age want to tell you about the 1960's Bonneville they owned back when they were young. That is rather fun though, as after they are finished I tell them this is a new bike with FI. They are really surprised as they thought it was a vintage model.
I waited 49 years to get a Bonneville T100. Don't do the same as I did.
Get one and you won't regret it.

Brent

I do at least 40 miles a day, all weathers on my 2013 T100. Suspension is not great, is a bit snatchy on the throttle, brakes not that good but I absolutely love it.
Its like riding one of my old motocross bikes from the 1970's, easy to chuck about in traffic and always gives me a grin. Added to that loads of mods are available to make it your own.
As Brent said 'get one and you wont regret it'.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Since when did they require the clutch to be disengaged to get the bike to start?

My '04 Thruxton had the clutch interlock to start in gear and the neutral interlock to start in neutral. Both were removed when I simplified the wiring harness.

Doesn't your '05 behave in the same manner?

Regards,

--Rich

Motley

750cc
My '04 Thruxton had the clutch interlock to start in gear and the neutral interlock to start in neutral. Both were removed when I simplified the wiring harness.

Doesn't your '05 behave in the same manner?

Regards,

--Rich

Yeah, it does Rich, but this Bonneville was in neutral and the sidestand was up. I was sitting there like a complete n00b, repeatedly stabbing at the starter button, and nothing was happening. :d The owner pulled the clutch lever and it fired right up.:shrug: