Bonnie or T100

Motley

750cc
After getting the bike Satrurday morning I was able to get out on it for a bit in the afternoon, although it was kinda cold at about 5 celsius.

My first impression is that I freakin' love this thing!!! Much, much better than the Yamaha FZ09 it's replacing.

It rides beautifully, very smooth transmission, and has more than enough get-up-and-go for my riding style. At this point I have no intentions of upgrading the intake or exhaust, I'll leave those pretty much stock, well other than a K&N filter. The suspension will definitely need some improvement, maybe some Ikons, or Hagons, and Ricor Intiminators up front. I wonder if stock Thruxton shocks might make much of a difference.

The SAI will have to go, for sure. Can't even see the plugs for all that plumbing.

This bike will complement nicely the Thruxton in the garage. I think I'm done...well, maybe a Scrambler would round things off, but don't tell my missus.

Motley

750cc
Had the bike out for a couple of hours today, runnin' around with a couple of Ninja's.

The suspension has got to be replaced, jeezus my back is killin' me tonight. It's been a few years but I don't recall the stock Thruxton shocks being this bad. I think I'm gonna try them first, before buying aftermarket items.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
the thruxton shocks are just taller. the real difference is the foot position, and how bumps are translated to your body. On the thruxton most excess shock goes through the legs, not directly onto your spine because of the seating position. You are leaning more forward onto your thighs vs sitting more on your arse.

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
On the thruxton most excess shock goes through the legs, not directly onto your spine because of the seating position. You are leaning more forward onto your thighs vs sitting more on your arse.

He's right, and I thought the same about mine. I'm 5'6'' height, so I solved it flexing my elbows, getting my upper body at a position similar as if I was riding a Thruxton. It worked for me.

strokerlmt

My thought with the Bonne get after market shocks. Something adjustable. I threw away the stock shocks and have had 3 or 4 kinds of after market and have been overly impressed with all. Perhaps get some emulators for the front as well.
Best
LMT

Motley

750cc
the thruxton shocks are just taller. the real difference is the foot position, and how bumps are translated to your body. On the thruxton most excess shock goes through the legs, not directly onto your spine because of the seating position. You are leaning more forward onto your thighs vs sitting more on your arse.

This is exactly what the missus and I were discussing last night. It's like riding a cruiser again 'cause my feet are in front of my arse.

I thought that maybe the longer travel of the Thruxton shocks might prevent bottoming out, if they're even bottoming at all.

It feels like I have to lower the footpegs some too, that or raise the seating position.

Other than this I'm very happy with the bike. I held those Ninjas back pretty good. :D

Texas94fs

Hooligan
This is exactly what the missus and I were discussing last night. It's like riding a cruiser again 'cause my feet are in front of my arse.

I thought that maybe the longer travel of the Thruxton shocks might prevent bottoming out, if they're even bottoming at all.

It feels like I have to lower the footpegs some too, that or raise the seating position.

Other than this I'm very happy with the bike. I held those Ninjas back pretty good. :D

The longer rear shocks will quicken your turn in, which if you hit the twisties pretty often might be nice. I seriously doubt you are bottoming out the shocks. However, the problem with the stockers is just their lack of valving and adjustability, also the single rate spring. I'd recommend a set of mid range hagon or ikon shocks to get the best bang for the buck and just all around better suspension. Some better padding in the seat might help as well.

As for the ninjas. . .well, most of those folks don't actually realize how well these little bikes manage. I'm sure you've heard the old saying, "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow"

Motley

750cc
It seems I have plenty of options. Taller seat, lower pegs, lower handlebars, and better suspension. I'll get 'er dialled in, although with winter fast approaching I may have to wait until next season.

I'm thinking this paint scheme wouldn't really suit the Scrambler. The Scrambler needs something more monotone, out-doorsy, and rugged looking.

Yep, my thoughts as well. The scallops not so much, a single color, matt or gloss, would be much better. I'll put my stock OEM tank and side covers in a box on the shelf and use the other tank to beat around with.

Motley

750cc
Yep, my thoughts as well. The scallops not so much, a single color, matt or gloss, would be much better. I'll put my stock OEM tank and side covers in a box on the shelf and use the other tank to beat around with.

See if you can find a photo of an old Brit scrambles bike (doesn't matter which make) and maybe duplicate that, for the vintage off road look. Trouble is, most of the stuff I recall is in black and white. Where the sixties black and white, or colour? I can't recall.

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
My thought with the Bonne get after market shocks. Something adjustable. I threw away the stock shocks and have had 3 or 4 kinds of after market and have been overly impressed with all. Perhaps get some emulators for the front as well.
Best
LMT

I have decided to give it a try. I found some unexpensive gas shocks. And maybe I could do it myself, it doesn't look so complicated, and it looks like it doesn't need special tools either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQnx-ZbAD7o

http://bonniecafe.com/bonnie-mod-15...ocks-with-adjustable-damping-thruxton-length/.

See if you can find a photo of an old Brit scrambles bike (doesn't matter which make) and maybe duplicate that, for the vintage off road look. Trouble is, most of the stuff I recall is in black and white. Where the sixties black and white, or colour? I can't recall.

As far as paint scheme, I've been considering something like this for a long time now. If not this, then perhaps a flat matt red with triumph script painted in white on the sides.

But I'll also be needing to source a replacement set of side covers in black, then boxing up my matt blue ones to keep the integrity of the OEM set.

Triumph%20Paint%20scheme_zps1biwlkvp.jpg

Last edited:

Motley

750cc

Didn't you just sell a Bonneville in that colour scheme Chris?

Sort of, this one will be a different color red; I really like the blood color red and antique white of this bike, and as the bike ages and gets a natural patina, it think it'll look pretty damn cool. My old bike was a cardinal red and black scheme, but with this one being a Scrambler, I'm not as concerned about keeping it as clean and pristine. This is the reason for the second set of tins. When/if I decide to sell it, I'll have the OEM set, dent and scratch free, to go along with it.

My other thought was to do something similar to my Dad's old BSA A75 Rocket3 that I regret getting rid of. Though I'm not sure the chrome and candy blue would translate as well to a high pipe scrambler.

sc006e277e.jpg

Sorry, Motley. I didn't mean to completely derail your thread. :D