Bonnie or T100

fender

Street Tracker
Yeah, it does Rich, but this Bonneville was in neutral and the sidestand was up. I was sitting there like a complete n00b, repeatedly stabbing at the starter button, and nothing was happening. :d The owner pulled the clutch lever and it fired right up.:shrug:

I would have been sitting on the bike just like you wondering why it won't start. I've never owned a bike that I've needed to pull the clutch in to start. My '05 Bonneville is the newest bike I've owned.

I'm sure at some point the lawyers got involved and mandated the features to protect us from ourselves.

Motley

750cc
I've got a 2014 Yamaha FZ09 that doesn't have that feature. Maybe it's a Euro design requirement, although I understand the bike was built in Thailand, for the N.A. market.

Anyway...I'm still looking. I found a nice '13 Bonnie Black with only 19km on the clock. Why do people bother?

Mark

750cc
mine was 3 years old with 700kms and nipples on the tires still lol
"seemed like a good idea at the time"

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Yeah, it does Rich, but this Bonneville was in neutral and the sidestand was up. I was sitting there like a complete n00b, repeatedly stabbing at the starter button, and nothing was happening. :d The owner pulled the clutch lever and it fired right up.:shrug:

So it needs the clutch in whether you are in gear or not? That shit would have to go if it were mine. Nothing that grounding a few ignitor inputs won't resolve...

Motley

750cc
Motley.......why not change bars to MBARS, use risers, football grips and put Bonne stock footrests on your Thruxton ?
LMT

Blasphemy!

But then I wouldn't have a Thruxton. I like my Thrux...I just want something more suitable for two-up, light touring, and running errands.

After looking at the specs on the Bonnie, the T100, and the Thruxton I'm thinking perhaps I shouldn't limit my scope. Perhaps LMT is right, I could, with a little financial input, change a Thruxton into a Bonnie. I'd have quicker steering than a T100, a bigger bike than the Bonnie, and just a wee bit more oomph than both. I'd need a seat, and foot controls, and if I go with a post '09 FI model I won't need an upper yoke and risers. I'll bet there are lots of Bonnie owners that would like to swap parts with a Thruxton.

strokerlmt

After looking at the specs on the Bonnie, the T100, and the Thruxton I'm thinking perhaps I shouldn't limit my scope. Perhaps LMT is right, I could, with a little financial input, change a Thruxton into a Bonnie. I'd have quicker steering than a T100, a bigger bike than the Bonnie, and just a wee bit more oomph than both. I'd need a seat, and foot controls, and if I go with a post '09 FI model I won't need an upper yoke and risers. I'll bet there are lots of Bonnie owners that would like to swap parts with a Thruxton.

Motley....I have done the opposite for years. I can go from solo seat, to brat seat, bitwell scram bars to clip ons taking top yoke off/on, to rear sets removing stock rests all in an hour. Then I am racing up the ONE to Big Sur. Then I can go back and do the back roads of Central Cal. It costs less than another bike. Also "once you have the power you never wanna go back" :)
LMT

the HP is the same

There are slight differences. Is it noticeable? I don't know, I've never actually ridden a Thruxton to compare.

2014 Triumph Bonneville: 9.2:1 compression ratio with 68 horsepower @ 7,500 rpm. Maximum torque is 50 ft-lbs @ 5,800 rpm.

2014 Triumph Thruxton: 9.9:1 compression ratio with 69 horsepower @ 7,400 rpm. Maximum torque is 51 ft-lbs @ 5,800 rpm.

Motley

750cc
Not yet Mark. I'm still looking, but I may have to hold off until spring. I've gotta get rid of the Yamaha first 'cause my missus will cut my nuts off if I get another bike. She keeps harping on about kitchens, and bathrooms, and such.

Mark

750cc
Not yet Mark. I'm still looking, but I may have to hold off until spring. I've gotta get rid of the Yamaha first 'cause my missus will cut my nuts off if I get another bike. She keeps harping on about kitchens, and bathrooms, and such.

Happy wife, happy life. Good hunting.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I've never owned a bike that I've needed to pull the clutch in to start. My '05 Bonneville is the newest bike I've owned.

My '07 Bonnie starts without the clutch in, if it's in neutral, no problem. I do it all the time.

Motley

750cc
Well......did you get one

I found a local '13 Thruxton, with all of 1150 km on the clock. I'm gonna go have a look and listen tomorrow evening. The timing isn't right, I've still got an FZ09 to get rid of, but sometimes ya gotta strike while the iron is hot.

1150km!!!

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
I had a 2013 Bonneville SE (totaled), and I have now a 2014 Bonneville T100.
I think the Bonneville handles better than the T100. I use to ride at secondary roads all the time. The Bonneville SE (Mag wheel) performed better than any other bike on this kind of roads, better than my friends' Thruxton and Scrambler. Even the T100 perform better on twisty roads. There is no difference on Highways between these four models. I think maybe on the track, the Thruxton should perform better. Offroad, nor the Bonneville, neither the Thruxton are good (with the original tires). The Scrambler is the best.

In my opinion; turning a Thruxton to a Bonneville could be considered sacrilege. I recommend to get a Bonneville Mag wheel, and then customize it as you wish. I'm sure you will not regret. I hope to do that myself one day.

Addendum: Not a bad bike to travel.
20150512_075031_zpsdww45ttw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Motley

750cc
Motley did you get the low mi Thruxton...???

I'm gonna go look at it tomorrow (Wednesday) evening. I also found a real nice '14 T100 that I'll check out on Saturday, it has 4500km on it which is still very good and it's almost $1000 less.