need more power

MES

750cc
May I add a little to your fine description... Fast is when you're screaming through a corner, scraping parts with the rear tire just about wanting to step out, and you can't give it anymore throttle or lean angle and then.... a guy comes sliding around you ;)
yep, that fast alright.

A friend of mine who is by no means slow was at a track day when Pridmore came flying around him on the outside going 2 up. He said that it stung his pride more than a just a bit.
There always somebody who is faster.

strokerlmt

We were coming from the Central Valley Cali up through the state park to Ventura CA on the coast. That is a twisty road that the sporties like. Hell I was hanging on "going up" the east side. We stopped at a nice spot for some water and a look half way from the top which was 4300 feet. We could hear the bikes coming down. Around the corner came the first of 8 bikes. All had full leathers high end speedsters dragging knees. We were at a perfect angle to see how far over and fast they were going. The 4th guy was passing the 3rd guy on the corner he was rt on the center line....we made eye contact and he lifted up his hand and waved at me......they were going reallyyyyy fast.
LMT

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
We were coming from the Central Valley Cali up through the state park to Ventura CA on the coast. That is a twisty road that the sporties like. Hell I was hanging on "going up" the east side. We stopped at a nice spot for some water and a look half way from the top which was 4300 feet. We could hear the bikes coming down. Around the corner came the first of 8 bikes. All had full leathers high end speedsters dragging knees. We were at a perfect angle to see how far over and fast they were going. The 4th guy was passing the 3rd guy on the corner he was rt on the center line....we made eye contact and he lifted up his hand and waved at me......they were going reallyyyyy fast.
LMT
+1
There are levels and there are levels to be sure. And within those levels there are varying degrees of risk. Faster you go, higher the risk.
I am middle of the pack which is more by choice. I can't stand to ride behind most Harley guys but I let the squids who have something to prove, go prove something. There are some fantastic riders out there to be sure...but on the street with all the sand and gravel, knee dragging at warp speed sometimes comes at a high price.

Last edited:

evil knievel

Scooter
now your talking

Evil, needs to meet Mert. Wring her neck, get ya feet up and slide! The wankers on their Battlestar Galacticas won't know where ya went...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e92nOzQc7o8&feature=related

:cheers:

EDIT - and no brakes Bro!

I would love to race on a track like that and go those speeds. I am alot better rider than most of you have given me credit for. Remember, I started out racing dirt bikes! I would challenge any who think they could keep up my pace on equal bikes. Smaller tighter roads dont make your bike faster...its just an illusion with lots of G forces.You still need the power in the straight-aways to get ahead of your apponent.

Pete R

Banned
I would love to race on a track like that and go those speeds. I am alot better rider than most of you have given me credit for. Remember, I started out racing dirt bikes! I would challenge any who think they could keep up my pace on equal bikes. Smaller tighter roads dont make your bike faster...its just an illusion with lots of G forces.You still need the power in the straight-aways to get ahead of your apponent.

You can race on a track like that and at those speeds. You just have to want to do it.

Ever noticed the lap times between big race bikes and little race bikes? Not that much in it when you consider the massive power advantages the big guys have. Ain't no illusion man.
Smaller bikes (or bikes with less horsepower) usually don't need the fat rubber the big guys need to hook up. And here's the catch - for any given corner speed a bike with skinny tyres won't have to lean over as far as a bike with fatter tyres - so the skinnier tyred bike can carry more corner speed (even ride around the big fellas in some cases). The higher the corner speed the quicker you get to top speed down the straight.

Do a search on track days/ride days here and you'll see guys commenting on how sometimes the big bikes were holding them up in corners.

This is why we used to have 'Formula' classes. From memory F2 used to be 250 two strokes, 650 4 stroke fours and unlimited twins. Big power variations but the lap speeds were similar. Dunno what it is now, haven't raced for over 10 years.

As has been said before (I think) It's easier to ride a slow bike fast. You can crank 'em and get on the juice without as much worry about the thing snapping sideways and sending you over the longdrop. The easier it is to ride, the faster you will ride. Have more fun too.

Any one can ride a rocketship fast in a straight line. I guess the question is do you want to be anyone?

Last edited:

mikenva

Rocker
not anyone and ride that fast in a stright line thats not true strange things happen at very high speed not everyone has the balls to do it.See how fast you want to stay on a naked bike you might change your mind.Dont take it as i mean to talk down road raceing that takes skill and balls to .hanging onto a drag bike or a salt bike takes skill to.To me fast is when you cant hear the motor running and the wind pins your shield to your nose,no feeling on earth like it.You know your ass is on the line then if you mess up you die.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
You can race on a track like that and at those speeds. You just have to want to do it.

Ever noticed the lap times between big race bikes and little race bikes? Not that much in it when you consider the massive power advantages the big guys have. Ain't no illusion man.
Smaller bikes (or bikes with less horsepower) usually don't need the fat rubber the big guys need to hook up. And here's the catch - for any given corner speed a bike with skinny tyres won't have to lean over as far as a bike with fatter tyres - so the skinnier tyred bike can carry more corner speed (even ride around the big fellas in some cases). The higher the corner speed the quicker you get to top speed down the straight.

Do a search on track days/ride days here and you'll see guys commenting on how sometimes the big bikes were holding them up in corners.

This is why we used to have 'Formula' classes. From memory F2 used to be 250 two strokes, 650 4 stroke fours and unlimited twins. Big power variations but the lap speeds were similar. Dunno what it is now, haven't raced for over 10 years.

As has been said before (I think) It's easier to ride a slow bike fast. You can crank 'em and get on the juice without as much worry about the thing snapping sideways and sending you over the longdrop. The easier it is to ride, the faster you will ride. Have more fun too.

Any one can ride a rocketship fast in a straight line. I guess the question is do you want to be anyone?
Boy is that well said Pete...all of it.
Keep in mind Evil, your so called "apponent" on the street at triple digit speeds will get you dead. At the track a fast guy on a 600 will dust a slower guy on a 1 liter bike. Also, a more average rider like many of us here will actually be faster at the track on a slower bike because we can't control or apply the power of a 150 hp bike. Its about the rider more than the bike.

Last edited:

dschief

750cc
There is a guy that sort of invites hinself on some of our rides, has a V-Star 650 cruiser. I honestly don't know why he insists on coming with us as all he does is bitch and complain that we ride too damn fast. I told him it's not the speed, but cornering abilities of our bikes (my Bonnie or Thruxton, the other guys are on a '98 T-Bird and a '96 750 Nighthawk). Well, he changed his rant to "you guys have bigger engines than me".

Next time I ride with those guys, I'm taking my '74 RD250. Now who's got the smallest engine? I bet $100 I'm still waiting for the guy on the 650 at the next stop sign.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
There is a guy that sort of invites hinself on some of our rides, has a V-Star 650 cruiser. I honestly don't know why he insists on coming with us as all he does is bitch and complain that we ride too damn fast. I told him it's not the speed, but cornering abilities of our bikes (my Bonnie or Thruxton, the other guys are on a '98 T-Bird and a '96 750 Nighthawk). Well, he changed his rant to "you guys have bigger engines than me".

Next time I ride with those guys, I'm taking my '74 RD250. Now who's got the smallest engine? I bet $100 I'm still waiting for the guy on the 650 at the next stop sign.
Cruiser guys normally just do that...cruise. But...always that but....there are some freaks out there and see them all the time. Guys who ride their cruisers like sport bikes....scraping and flying. It really is about the rider more than the motorcycle.

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
More power is great, but better suspension and brakes are tits as well. I may be late to this party but if I was gonna do a budget power build (using the term budget loosely, but compared to a big bore stroker cost) and had already done airbox and exhaust it would be a set of 865 high comp pistons, cams, slight headwork (valve job springs, stage 2 street i suppose) and fcr 39 carbs. you don't have to rebore the cylinders, you get the benefit of the 904 kit without the extra CC and its cheaper. A setup that would net you roughly 75-85 horse depending on how deep you go into the headwork and cams and how well you tune it. torque would be around 60-65ft/lbs as well

Last edited:
More power is great, but better suspension and brakes are tits as well. I may be late to this party but if I was gonna do a budget power build (using the term budget loosely, but compared to a big bore stroker cost) and had already done airbox and exhaust it would be a set of 865 high comp pistons, cams, slight headwork (valve job springs, stage 2 street i suppose) and fcr 39 carbs. you don't have to rebore the cylinders, you get the benefit of the 904 kit without the extra CC and its cheaper. A setup that would net you roughly 75-85 horse depending on how deep you go into the headwork and cams and how well you tune it. torque would be around 70ft/lbs as well unless I've completely fucked my numbers.

you're way off dude.

That setup MIGHT get 80hp, but the torque would be in the low-mid 60s.

strokerlmt

I am certainly no pro but I have to agree with the suspension/braking comment. The ricor emulators front with the ricor adjusted properly shocks in the back + beringer front caliper + just cleaned the rear pads and rotor and the handling is noticeably better.
LMT

Kirkus51

Hooligan
The suspension bits are the first thing I did. And so far I haven't had an overwhelming urge to get more power....yet. IMHO handling is across the board and all the time. HP is on occasion.

mikenva

Rocker
The suspension bits are the first thing I did. And so far I haven't had an overwhelming urge to get more power....yet. IMHO handling is across the board and all the time. HP is on occasion.
nope i have both shocks help a bunch but hp you notice way more .You will change your mind if you ever get good hp on your bike. Just a good streetable 904 is a hell of alot more fun to ride and you feel it every ride more so then good forks and shocks .

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I'll say that if you just do intimators and rear shocks with a single disc up front mike is right, however if you go the route I did, it is a completely different bike. Every aspect of being on the road changes, even power delivery. The swap does however make you want more power to go along with the better grip, braking, weight loss, and handling.