need more power

PieMan

Two Stroke
Got any pics of your ride? Sounds way cool.

Here you go Sweat,

bonnie_special_right.jpg

bonnie_low_front.jpg

People tend to love it or hate it, but it's just what I envisaged and it does what I want it to.

Bone stock with a full tank and correct oil level my bike weighed in at 220Kg. 16 litres of fuel and 4.5 litres of oil weighs 15.7Kg, so dry,it was pretty close to the factory figures of 205Kg. I weighed it two weeks ago and it came in at 201Kg with fuel and oil, less the 15.75Kg takes it about 186Kg and I have since lost another kilo by replacing the sprocket cover.

I didn't weigh everything in the rebuild, but the alternator rotor lost a kilo, along with the sprocket cover, and 4Kg lost on the exhaust system, that's 30% of the total loss. The wheels were lighter, but the forks were the same weight. Fibre glass front mudguard and no rear mudguard, headlight brackets replaced with alloy units and the complete dash has been replaced with a Trail Tech Vapor Stealth unit. The exhaust system is OEM Thruxton with the silencers cut down, gutted, non restrictive silencing installed and then polished alloy end caps installed.

That's 20Kg.

lol yall jap/triumph guys

And where were your OEM Kayaba G10 forks and shocks made?:finger:

Last edited:

MES

750cc
I like it and I really like the cans.
You repaint the frame gloss blk? or is it just that pristine.
what kind of filter is that. Hard to tell but it looks like it might be a big oval.
Custom side covers with front and rear blanked out to enclose the pod/s?

I can see you loosing 40lbs. surprised about the stock tank though.
The sprocket cover is a lump ain't it. :)

mikenva

Rocker
Here you go Sweat,

bonnie_special_right.jpg

bonnie_low_front.jpg

People tend to love it or hate it, but it's just what I envisaged and it does what I want it to.

Bone stock with a full tank and correct oil level my bike weighed in at 220Kg. 16 litres of fuel and 4.5 litres of oil weighs 15.7Kg, so dry,it was pretty close to the factory figures of 205Kg. I weighed it two weeks ago and it came in at 201Kg with fuel and oil, less the 15.75Kg takes it about 186Kg and I have since lost another kilo by replacing the sprocket cover.

I didn't weigh everything in the rebuild, but the alternator rotor lost a kilo, along with the sprocket cover, and 4Kg lost on the exhaust system, that's 30% of the total loss. The wheels were lighter, but the forks were the same weight. Fibre glass front mudguard and no rear mudguard, headlight brackets replaced with alloy units and the complete dash has been replaced with a Trail Tech Vapor Stealth unit. The exhaust system is OEM Thruxton with the silencers cut down, gutted, non restrictive silencing installed and then polished alloy end caps installed.

That's 20Kg.

And where were your OEM Kayaba G10 forks and shocks made?:finger:
lol you got me there.I like what you did mike but loose that front fender that takes away from a pretty bike to me anyway,but its your bike lol
everyone should have theres like they want them.The look these bikes come with stock is why i own one .If it wasnt for that look I would just buy a fast jap bike.but like I say thats just me.I might put custom billet wheels on mine one day but I think the jap wheels hurt the look of the bike but I am a old fart what do I know lol.

PieMan

Two Stroke
bonnie_dash.jpg

It's an excellent unit, the only downside being the idiot lights aren't as bright as the LED's I had in the OEM unit, but they're still brighter than the original bulbs. The air temp gauge reads a bit high on hot days as the thermistor is mounted in the unit and suffers when it's in the sun, but is accurate on cold days. The oil temp gauge is great, I bought the Bonnie EFI sensor mount which fits in the top of the oil cooler, the Trail Tech sensor screws straight in. Don't use the plastic washer they supply with the sensor, it leaks, use a copper washer in it's place. The rev counter is accurate with three turns around an HT lead.

Arkwright

Two Stroke
I have read this thread with interest and thought I'd add my take on the whole 'need more speed' issue for what it's worth.

I bought my Bonnie approximately a month ago after nearly 25 years of non bike ownership. It's a 2004 T100 and apart from the AI removal by the previous owner, it's completely stock.

And you wanna know something? I F***ing love it just the way it is.

I'm having no cravings to go faster... I'm not looking at the bike thinking I don't like the look of this and I don't like the look of that. Indeed, the very reason I bought the bike was because 'I LIKED THE LOOK OF IT.'

I'm no novice rider or a stranger to fast bikes, I spent 15 years of my life racing everything from RD125's to Yamaha 500 power valves in the 1980's, but I didn't buy my Bonnie to replicate those days.

I took her out yesterday for about 4 hours around the country roads of Lincolnshire and the bike performed flawlessly. She was forgiving when I didn't quite get it right round the twisties and not a single vehicle passed me all afternoon. There was more than enough power to get out of trouble when the need arose and I actually quite like the sound it makes with stock exhausts. I got off the bike, put her away in the garage and spent the rest of the day walking around with a stupid grin on my face, the same stupid grin I have every time I finish riding her.

I'm not having a go at all the Bonnie owners across the globe who have chosen to mod their rides, it's a free world thank goodness and you're all welcome to do exactly what you want. I just wanted to flag up the good old stock Bonnie and suggest it's not quite as bad as others would have us believe. In fact, I'm thinking that my Bonnie may be pretty unique and that without any modifications whatsoever, it might be the only one like it in the world :woot:

I love looking at all the pics of what you've all done with your Bonnie and can appreciate the time and effort that has gone into making them truly original, but if it's ok with the forum members, I think I'll stick with what I've got and love it for what it is...

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Arkwright,
You post a fair counterpoint. As it turns out, I am dead in the middle which is also how I ride...not slow and not over the top. I too am struck with reading this forum...just how diverse bonnie owners are. Guys like Pie, Sweat, Rodburner, Lach and Mike with his extensive engine mods etc and many others that basically reinvent the bonnie…change virtually every part versus those that support the factory design and don’t change anything like you have…or very little.
I have changed a few things but pretty much kept the original bonnie design intact. I think the lighting is poor functionally and cosmetically and the bike needs some subtle tweaks. I hate the stock exhaust and therefore have gone to Tors but don’t want anything louder on this bike which has a docile nature. When I see Pieman’s bike, I think of another bike that Triumph already makes…see below. Pieman is one of the smartest tuners we have here who obviously loves the Bonneville platform because it is such a blank canvas and basically has created his version of the Street Triple albeit short of power, handling and weight…all areas he has improved upon but IMHO don't match the fantastic factory bike. Flipside of this approach is Gretsch just traded his bonnie for one and maybe he will weigh in if he sees this. I also believe in buying the bike you want.

That said, for many building bikes is fun. I believe it is a large reason why many do it versus pay a team of guys aka buy a factory bike closer to one's interpretation of what a motorcycle should be. The fiscal side runs counter to logic as well with plausible explanation there that the emotion of making something entirely your own is a powerful drug for many. What makes the world go round. Different guys who share the same passion for the same activity and yet choose a different approach. Its all good. When I ride my bonnie close to redline through the twisties, I never think it is down on power. I am more concerned about slowing it down to make the curve. I don’t want to 2 wheel drift it from one lane to the other as mentioned earlier. I also like the fact I can wind on the throttle and not worry about wheel slippage exiting a corner. The bike is flat easy to ride fast on the street if you want. No it isn't a good track bike nor meant to be. A Daytona is better. Others want more. No surprise that the company mantra of go your own way really underscores the theme here.

bonnie_special_right.jpg

Street3side.jpg

Last edited:
Err, I'd say Pieman has created a unique "Cafe Flat Tracker" and see no resemblance to a Street Triple whatsoever apart from the name on the tank.

Not having a pop at you S3Chris, just saying....

Love those pipes BTW!

Cheers,

Pikey.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I do see the cafe flat tracker influence you mention...cafe and tracker together in the unusual combination of rearsets plus high handlebar on what I presume is a street bike.
How about the digital instruments? Flat tracker or cafe? ;)

Last edited:
I do see the cafe flat tracker influence you mention...cafe and tracker together in the unusual combination of rearsets plus high handlebar on what I presume is a street bike.
How about the digital instruments? Flat tracker or cafe? ;)

Hmmm, not sure - I associate the Trail Tech unit with hi-tech but neither flat track or cafe are particularly hi-tech. If I had to choose, I'd say FT as cafe definitely implies a set of Smiths Chronos to me.

TBH, whilst I appreciate what Pieman has done and at the end of the day, it's his bike, the look doesn't sit quite right with me.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Hmmm, not sure - I associate the Trail Tech unit with hi-tech but neither flat track or cafe are particularly hi-tech. If I had to choose, I'd say FT as cafe definitely implies a set of Smiths Chronos to me.

TBH, whilst I appreciate what Pieman has done and at the end of the day, it's his bike, the look doesn't sit quite right with me.

Cheers,

Pikey.
Was kidding Pikey about the Trail tech...it obviously doesn't fit either category and hence the emoticon.
Pieman's bike is his own which no doubt is exactly his intent. He knows more about these bikes than most and my sense is he uses the raised redline he has created with his clever reprogramming of the ignitors he sells. :) I by contrast only lightly kiss off of the stock rev limiter which is fine for my riding style. :)
Bikes fit the personality of each rider is the larger point of this thread...from Arkwright's stock bike to my lightly modded bike to all the extensively modded bikes like Pieman's and others mentioned.

Last edited:
Was kidding Pikey about the Trail tech...it obviously doesn't fit either category and hence the emoticon.
Pieman's bike is his own which no doubt is exactly his intent. He know more about these bikes than most and my sense is he uses the raised redline he has created with his clever reprogramming of the ignitors he sells. :) I by contrast only lightly kiss off of the stock rev limiter which is fine for my riding style. :)
Bikes fit the personality of each rider is the larger point of this thread...from Arkwright's stock bike to my lightly modded bike to all the extensively modded bikes like Pieman's and others mentioned.

Sorry, missed your humour there mate. Never mind.

Indeed, that is the beauty of the Bonnie - it lends itself to so many interpretations of personal taste and performance. Much like the rider/owners.

Cheers,

Pikey.

PieMan

Two Stroke
lol Its not a Flat tracker or cafe its a mikey bikey lol

Nice one Mike. :lol:

I understand your comments about buying a Speed/Street Triple or Daytona and you're most probably right, either would suit my riding style more so than a Bonnie. But I love the style of a Bonnie and I adore the Triumph twin engine! (also those low bars would screw with my back and neck)

Originally, I fully intended to keep spokes wheels, and just use the cartridge fork inners with the Bonnie sliders, but the light weight of cast wheels, the use of good tubeless radial rubber and twin discs up front tipped me over the edge and there was no going back.

In a month or so, she will look very different as her winter clothes are put on, as I ride throughout the winter (but not in snow or ice). She will look more stock with an OEM full rear mudguard (in lightweight fibreglass) along with light and number plate. Believe it or not, when I was building the forks and before they were powder coated, I drilled and tapped the sliders on the inside face so they can take an OEM Bonnie style front mudguard with the mudguard stays. I just haven't got round to having a full 17" mudguard made yet, and the stays will need to be shortened and re-chromed.

Last edited:

strokerlmt

pieman......I really like your bike. The side covers with the screen are cool. Also like the mufflers. I have never warmed to that front fender but hey its you. Nice ride....
LMT

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Nice one Mike. :lol:

I understand your comments about buying a Speed/Street Triple or Daytona and you're most probably right, either would suit my riding style more so than a Bonnie. But I love the style of a Bonnie and I adore the Triumph twin engine! (also those low bars would screw with my back and neck)

Originally, I fully intended to keep spokes wheels, and just use the cartridge fork inners with the Bonnie sliders, but the light weight of cast wheels, the use of good tubeless radial rubber and twin discs up front tipped me over the edge and there was no going back.

In a month or so, she will look very different as her winter clothes are put on, as I ride throughout the winter (but not in snow or ice). She will look more stock with an OEM full rear mudguard (in lightweight fibreglass) along with light and number plate. Believe it or not, when I was building the forks and before they were powder coated, I drilled and tapped the sliders on the inside face so they can take an OEM Bonnie style front mudguard with the mudguard stays. I just haven't got round to having a full 17" mudguard made yet, and the stays will need to be shortened and re-chromed.
Good stuff. If you go with another mudflap and modified T100 stays, please post with what you come up with. I don't see a simple workaround to shortening the stays, in lieu of cut and rewelding stay flat ends with holes back on for attachment to the forks.
I may go with a 18" front wheel if I go alloys on my T100 and would be interested in what you come up with as a fender option.
Cheers.
PS: as far as your overall bike proportion...I personally would lower the headlight which is easy to accomplish with your custom headlight bracket...and lose the visor...and probably powdercoat the whole light black to match the paint scheme of the bike...if not do what Sweat did and go with a smaller bucket and sink it deeper into the forks. Reason is....visually the headlight is more pronounced since you have gone with the digital display which incidentally I like. Factory clocks distract the eye away from the headlight a bit.
And as a fellow back and neck sufferer...I get the higher handlebar. Makes a world of difference and why I too ride with a stock bonneville handlebar.

Below is Johny's T100 with 18" thruxton front wheel with T100 mudflap.
He reduced fender gap by using spacers on the "outside" of the fender, maintaining stock upper and lower stays. This looks pretty good but not nearly as elegant as re-making new stays to proper length as you propose which is a lot more work. Also...spacers won't work going to a 17" wheel in front even with a custom smaller radii mudflap...1 inch radius reduction is too much gap to overcome as you know so shortening the stays is the way to go.

Attachments

• JohnyC Thrux wheel on T100.jpg
    JohnyC Thrux wheel on T100.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Flaco

750cc
I weighed my stock wheels (with tires, rotors, etc, no bullshit) and also weighed the sv650 wheels (with tires, rotors, etc, no bullshit) and the sv650 wheels (with tires, rotors, etc, no bullshit) were 20lbs lighter in total.

That is all unsprung weight too=Better handling!

What we all strive for in a motorcycle...
(O.K., power and looks too)

Caliper, floating disk are going on mine this weelkend. Rims when I can afford them... Lighter than stock and will maintain my look and theme...

(I'd love to ride a Bonnie with CB / F3 front end. Must be nice...)

mikenva

Rocker
There is a set of Carrozzeria on ebay now wish i had the extra cash look like they come with every thing needed to put them on .bid is less than $1500 so far.

PieMan

Two Stroke
Well I got whooped yesterday by a Kawasaki vulcan 800cc I havent beat anybody since I got this bike.And I do know how to ride.I rode my dirt bike alot. Is there some way to get more power out of my bike? Would different pipes work. It seems like you have to ring its neck and rev the crap out of it to make it go. I thought a 900 would have tons more power. My uncles old 1970"s kawasaki 900 would kill me! I love my bike, and love riding it but I'm getting beet by every body.I relize its not a crotch rocket or a race bike, but I sure would like some more power.Can any body point me in the right direction please!

Evil Knievel, sorry your thread has been hi-jacked, it just sort of evolved. :wave: