need more power

ivar

TT Racer
Evil Knievel, sorry your thread has been hi-jacked, it just sort of evolved. :wave:

As for the original question;

Isn't the Vulcan pretty similar to a bone stock Bonnie in HP and Tq? I believe I've seen HP numbers around 64..?
And I'd think slightly more weight..?
So, from the number, I'd think the Bonneville should have a slight advantage given riders of similar weight and riding ability - but that the difference would not not be huge... Anyone..?

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
As for the original question;

Isn't the Vulcan pretty similar to a bone stock Bonnie in HP and Tq? I believe I've seen HP numbers around 64..?
And I'd think slightly more weight..?
So, from the number, I'd think the Bonneville should have a slight advantage given riders of similar weight and riding ability - but that the difference would not not be huge... Anyone..?
Vulcan has about a hundred power weight penalty compared to the bonnie.
Its a low 14 sec quarter mile bike and a stock bonnie will turn high 13's and low 13's with pipes and some tuning.
Bonneville performance reminds me a lot of muscle cars I built and raced in the 70's in terms of performance. The old adage of 10 lbs/hp applies which used to be a benchmark of high performance. In later years this has been blown out of the water however so it comes down to what kind of performance do you want on the street and still keep your license. :)

Last edited:

Pete R

Banned
not anyone and ride that fast in a stright line thats not true strange things happen at very high speed not everyone has the balls to do it.See how fast you want to stay on a naked bike you might change your mind.Dont take it as i mean to talk down road raceing that takes skill and balls to .hanging onto a drag bike or a salt bike takes skill to.To me fast is when you cant hear the motor running and the wind pins your shield to your nose,no feeling on earth like it.You know your ass is on the line then if you mess up you die.

That ain't what I meant Mike. I was talking about the guys that Evil is riding with. I know what it's like to have too much power, like your brain can simply just not comprehend the acceleration as the world becomes a blur. Also know what happens when things go wrong at warp speed - reminded of it every morning when I try to get out of bed.

It's all good. We all worship at the Temple of the God of Speed - behind the handlebars :D I just reckon it's wonderful that there's this one lovely bike that we can all do whatever we want to and create our own.

I'm really greatful I've got one.

thistle66

Scooter
I would love to race on a track like that and go those speeds. I am alot better rider than most of you have given me credit for. Remember, I started out racing dirt bikes! I would challenge any who think they could keep up my pace on equal bikes. Smaller tighter roads dont make your bike faster...its just an illusion with lots of G forces.You still need the power in the straight-aways to get ahead of your apponent.

Seriously, this is complete squid talk!

Speed3Chris talks a lot of sense in this thread.

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I have read this thread with interest and thought I'd add my take on the whole 'need more speed' issue for what it's worth.

I bought my Bonnie approximately a month ago after nearly 25 years of non bike ownership. It's a 2004 T100 and apart from the AI removal by the previous owner, it's completely stock.

And you wanna know something? I F***ing love it just the way it is.

I'm having no cravings to go faster... I'm not looking at the bike thinking I don't like the look of this and I don't like the look of that. Indeed, the very reason I bought the bike was because 'I LIKED THE LOOK OF IT.'

I'm no novice rider or a stranger to fast bikes, I spent 15 years of my life racing everything from RD125's to Yamaha 500 power valves in the 1980's, but I didn't buy my Bonnie to replicate those days.

I took her out yesterday for about 4 hours around the country roads of Lincolnshire and the bike performed flawlessly. She was forgiving when I didn't quite get it right round the twisties and not a single vehicle passed me all afternoon. There was more than enough power to get out of trouble when the need arose and I actually quite like the sound it makes with stock exhausts. I got off the bike, put her away in the garage and spent the rest of the day walking around with a stupid grin on my face, the same stupid grin I have every time I finish riding her.

I love looking at all the pics of what you've all done with your Bonnie and can appreciate the time and effort that has gone into making them truly original, but if it's ok with the forum members, I think I'll stick with what I've got and love it for what it is...

+1 One thing I find with the Bonneville, its extremely chuckable and friendly on some of our old country roads. There are times when I want to ride around with one knee against the tank, the other hanging off,hunched forward, countersteering and banging the throttle. Not full out crazy,not racing but pitching the bike into the corners and accellerating out like we did when we were kids. That back road style of riding is what many of us grew up on The stock Bonneville can be ridden like that without spitting you off the side of the road. The CG , turn rate, weight and power and gearing must be close to ideal for that barnstoming approach to riding. Too much additional power would change it, IMO maybe not for the better. The school of "its more fun to ride slow bike fast" is true. One reason I really like the open intake sound as well as exhaust sound is because that intake roar really compliments that kind of riding..

And a Vulcan cannot do that. Not like a Bonneville. Without racing, without going nuts,if the average rider just takes a Bonneville, chucks it into the corners and hammers out of them it will just plain run away from a Vulcan.

Last edited:

Oriondk

moped
Here you go Sweat,

bonnie_special_right.jpg

bonnie_low_front.jpg

People tend to love it or hate it, but it's just what I envisaged and it does what I want it to.

Well, I for one, love it. Great looking bike and I love the weight reduction. I'm not it need of a lot of power, but getting the wieght down, that's something I could go for in a bike like this. Weren't original Bonnevilles around 400 lbs.? The one thing that disappointed me when I started looking into getting a Bonny was the weight, though it is about 50 or 60 pounds lighter than my old 1200 Sportster.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Well, I for one, love it. Great looking bike and I love the weight reduction. I'm not it need of a lot of power, but getting the wieght down, that's something I could go for in a bike like this. Weren't original Bonnevilles around 400 lbs.? The one thing that disappointed me when I started looking into getting a Bonny was the weight, though it is about 50 or 60 pounds lighter than my old 1200 Sportster.
I have taken a bit of weight out of mine. There is weight and also perception of weight and the good news is the bonnie feels pretty light to ride with its low CG. The Thruxton feels even lighter and is a bit lighter mostly because of its wheels. Taking meaningful weight out, means changing the wheels, eliminating or reducing fender size, losing the airbox and maybe a few other small things.
Stock exhaust has to go but it usually is the first thing to be replaced. The steel frame on these bikes is kind of heavy and hard to avoid and not designed as load bearing.

As to speed...the subject was underscored yesterday when I went out for a ride with a young buddy on his 1 liter sport bike. I always end up riding too fast when I ride with sport bike guys to keep up. It takes me out of my comfort zone and I really believe it is more dangerous. No I likely won't go off the bike at higher speed...but it seriously shortens the reaction time of cagers around me who are judging my speed....including those pulling out onto the back roads we ride. So I always come away with mixed emotions when I ride with faster guys...exhilarated but knowing I put myself at greater risk. The other thing is, a 1 liter sport bike isn't a little faster than a bonneville...it is a LOT faster. He can hit 130 mph in the time I can 90 from a roll. It ain't even close. Plus, with the wind protection he tells me he has to ride 90 to feel the sensation of speed. Too bad really as I am trying to hang on out in the wind at over 80. I am all for a bit more power for these bikes, but don't see the need really for a lot more power. Even if buying a sport bike, and I may pick one up at some point, a 600 which is still much faster than a bonny makes a lot more sense....still having the advantage of lighter weight, better handling and brakes.
Anyway, I was just reminded yesterday that I still bought the right bike.
Yes, his bike is a rush to ride but if I owned it I would be riding way too fast much too often.
He and his buddies love my bike btw.

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
+1 Chris however I disagree slightly as the power is delivered much differently. Its not just faster, its quite different. That sport bike is turning 12,000 rpms to do that. I am not a big fan of motors which just have peaky top end power, as in many sport bikes, but find it a bit more enjoyable to feel the rush of power at lower rpms too. Thats a very common preference by the way and the reason many ditch those sportbikes after playing with them.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
a non load bearing frame?? really??
That's right...there is no load on the frame at all. It can be safely removed. ;) I failed to insert the word engine. As you may know, in modern aluminum motorcycle frame designs, the engine is an integral part of the frame structure. What this does is shed further weight because the engine acts as part of the frame. The bonneville doesn't have this design and hence it is harder to get the bike weight down.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
+1 Chris however I disagree slightly as the power is delivered much differently. Its not just faster, its quite different. That sport bike is turning 12,000 rpms to do that. I am not a big fan of motors which just have peaky top end power, as in many sport bikes, but find it a bit more enjoyable to feel the rush of power at lower rpms too. Thats a very common preference by the way and the reason many ditch those sportbikes after playing with them.
Sal,
All I have to say, is head on down to your local Suzuki dealer and take one out. The bike is outrageously fast. The high RPM low torque thing doesn't apply here. It literally doesn't care what gear you are in. When I pass a car going 60 on my bonneville, I want to be in the right gear. Not so on this bike. It doesn't matter. It hits 110 in the blink of an eye no matter what gear you are in. 190 hp...just shy of the Busa.
In fact, comparing this bike to a bonnie...its almost hard to call them both motorcycles they are so different. This thing is more of a rocket than a motorcycle. Its like driving a Formula 1 car on the street. I wouldn't own one.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles...x-r1000-25th-anniversary-edition-ar64389.html

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
" The steel frame on these bikes is kind of heavy and hard to avoid and not designed as load bearing."
??????????????????

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
" The steel frame on these bikes is kind of heavy and hard to avoid and not designed as load bearing."
??????????????????
First sentence was an attempt at humor and hence the wink.
I stated it pretty succinctly. Can't help you beyond that...lol.
Have you been drinking this morning?

Last edited: