need more power

coopv2

Street Tracker
I have been trying to resist buying either bike below. Honorable mention goes out to the naked 4V 130 hp Ducati Monster ;)

MONSTER? Yes get the monster, get the monster.
I miss the crap out of my old S4R monster. pound for pound the most fun bike I have owned, and did everything so well. Loved the 3/4 throttle power stands every time from the lights, But alas, the temptation to kill myself was too great, and reluctantly gave it up for a safe, practical bonnie. something to be said for surviving 35 years of riding like a nut. and still have all my own limbs,

coopv2

Street Tracker
Well I got whooped Can any body point me in the right direction please!

I will jump in mate.
Get some better unrestricted mufflers, pull your air box out and open it up to remove the restricter plate, to make it breath. then add a Uni Filter, toss the stock snorkle, and open out the intake hole opening. re-jet the carbs.
and If you can afford it,.... a modified igniter, Or ignition module. or A Procom. that will give you a little more RPM, but without cams and 39mm FCR carbs, the extra RPM is a waste. then lastly a port job and 904 big bore kit.
start with the cheap stuff first, keep spending till your broke or happy.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I miss the crap out of my old S4R monster. pound for pound the most fun bike I have owned, and did everything so well. Loved the 3/4 throttle power stands every time from the lights, But alas, the temptation to kill myself was too great, and reluctantly gave it up for a safe, practical bonnie. something to be said for surviving 35 years of riding like a nut. and still have all my own limbs,
An amazing bike. Funny about the comments here relative to bikes other than the bonneville. Intolerance runs both ways it seems.
Harley guys that think everything else sucks. Many here think Harleys suck and I am not much of a fan of them either but don't think they suck...just most are slow, heavy bikes with 50's technology. If you hang out on Ducati sites, most don't believe in the retro thing at all and believe nostalgia bikes, replete if not masking yesterday's bad habits, are for sentimental old fools. Some even mock Ducati's own retro efforts including the Duc GT1000 which is basically a sports bike wrapped in retro garb. Most think a bonneville is a toad with bad brakes and suspension. I don't get the discrimination thing really and believe there is a reason why a loyal following exists for all different kinds of bikes.
As a talented fabricator like yourself Coop, I know you get it.

Last edited:

coopv2

Street Tracker
Yes, i get it, even i turn away the older harleys, having owned and worked on then since 1982, I have had enough of the old piles of junk. and yet I have a 1973 shovel head engine awaiting rebuild in my personal stash. Ha, idiot that I am.
I have found that motorcycles are an extension of our persona, they reflect were we are at in our life, slow and plodding or fast, and dangerous.
I still remember back in 82, sitting on the grass outside the Scarborough Beach Hotel. W.A. on about my 6th drink, and someone passing the joint around. then a cream 1980 FLH pulled up and I said to my mate "look at that large turd of a bike, who could enjoy riding that big lump?" and 8 years later I was on a similar bike, doh.
maybe it was the smoke that damaged my brain cells, I have learnt alot over the years but still not any smarter.
I have to admit i am hanging out to chop up a Ducati monster and make something off tap. was looking for this to show you,
0605_15_z+custom_ducati_techno_bobber+front_side.jpg

and found this too.
motocreations_2005.jpg

Like them both.

coopv2

Street Tracker
Ah crap now, I have to look for a bonnie engine.
Hey Chris what do you think about this frame with the pivot for the swingarm just forward of the back bone and a mono shock up the back bone tube, with a canter lever link coming up from underneath, semi hidden, and fuel in frame of course.
trumpster.jpg

Last edited:

dschief

750cc
Here's my $.02.
You can't beat a Kawasaki Vulcan 800, and you think you need a faster bike? I think you need to learn how to ride the one you have!
I have ridden my "not stock-midly modified" 790 Bonneville with Yamaha, Honda, and Harley cruiser riders. Not one, I repeat, not one of them has beat me. I'm not talking out and out racing, as if that would make a difference. I'm talking riding the back roads with curves, and waiting at the stop signs for them to catch up. They do not have the ground clearence to keep up in the curves, and they weigh a good 150 to 200 pounds more.
Like someone else already said, learn to ride a slow bike fast before you kill yourself on a fast one. You can take a Bonneville on a track day, they do allow it.

I'm really getting a kick out of this thread.

I doubt that very much. Unless you just want to drop the wrist on the straightest longest flat piece of road you can find.

Speed:
It's not a number.
It's a sensation. Half scared, half thrilled. The brain near overload as the information and terrain go whizzing by.

You don't need a faster bike son. You need tighter roads.
Search them out. stalk and hunt them down.
Learn them like a womens body. Every curve, every bump, the rise and fall. Learn what makes her work and what works for you.
To feel her as she moves beneath and her beneath you. intertwined, just being, without thinking. The release, how sweet that moment.
Learn to dance the dance of the animals.
Build your skilz.

Now go smoke a cigarette.

no girl likes a three minute man and going fast on the straight takes very little talent.

The great thing about these bikes is that as the road get tighter the liter bikes loose the advantage and their power become a liability. They can't work the throttle. We're sitting on there ass right in the middle of the torque band laughing.
In most cases, sport bikes are capable of a lot more than the person piloting them are. So unless they are capable of putting their head down and making a point of making a point. Your up in their shit like snot on a pigs nose.

Awesome! This should be made a "sticky" :woot:

Cheers,

Pikey.

I have been trying to resist buying either bike below. Honorable mention goes out to the naked 4V 130 hp Ducati Monster ;)

LOL - I can identify with that. A few dents & scars but basically still complete and reasonably functional ;)

I had a Duke ST4s before moving out here and after winding it up to 140mph with my lady on the back, I asked her what she thought. Her words were "it's like riding on the back of a dragon". Damn, I'll never forget those words (or the lady!). Ain't bikes just the fucking best!!!!

Cheers,

Pikey.

MES

750cc
Carlos,
it was good riding with ya on Monday. We really got to do it more often.
You know the deal when it comes to speed.
skills=smooth=fast.

I'll call ya on Saturday.

what's fast?
Fast is when your heeled over with the pegs scraping and the front tire is chirping like a cricket on a hot summer night. That's fast :)

RumRunner

Street Tracker
what's fast?
Fast is when your heeled over with the pegs scraping and the front tire is chirping like a cricket on a hot summer night. That's fast :)

May I add a little to your fine description... Fast is when you're screaming through a corner, scraping parts with the rear tire just about wanting to step out, and you can't give it anymore throttle or lean angle and then.... a guy comes sliding around you ;)

Pete R

Banned
May I add a little to your fine description... Fast is when you're screaming through a corner, scraping parts with the rear tire just about wanting to step out, and you can't give it anymore throttle or lean angle and then.... a guy comes sliding around you ;)

Yeeup, that's how it's done ;)

Do some Flat Track/Speedway and disconnect your brakes. Then y'know wot fast is...

Only way to slow down is to throw her on her side it give it to her ;)

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Ah crap now, I have to look for a bonnie engine.
Hey Chris what do you think about this frame with the pivot for the swingarm just forward of the back bone and a mono shock up the back bone tube, with a canter lever link coming up from underneath, semi hidden, and fuel in frame of course.
trumpster.jpg
All good Coop as you say. Mono shock bikes work and look good.
Hope you continue to share your projects with us in the Project Zone.
Always like to hear what you are working on.
Best.

Last edited:

coopv2

Street Tracker
NO Fast is when you have not been on a date for a year, and she takes off her top. then slides her hand down your pants, and you give her an instant gift. PARTY OVER.

Easy13

Street Tracker
:lol:

Man, this is the best thread ever... And the OP's probably hanging around some Gixxer forum by now.