need more power

evil knievel

Scooter
Well I got whooped yesterday by a Kawasaki vulcan 800cc I havent beat anybody since I got this bike.And I do know how to ride.I rode my dirt bike alot. Is there some way to get more power out of my bike? Would different pipes work. It seems like you have to ring its neck and rev the crap out of it to make it go. I thought a 900 would have tons more power. My uncles old 1970"s kawasaki 900 would kill me! I love my bike, and love riding it but I'm getting beet by every body.I relize its not a crotch rocket or a race bike, but I sure would like some more power.Can any body point me in the right direction please!

MES

750cc
There is absolutely no way to get any more power out out your bike. You are doomed to be beaten off the line by everybody including the girl scout on a pink K-Mart bicycle with training wheels.
My 3 legged turtle laughs at you.
where do these people come from?
Mars?

78gold

Two Stroke
Faster

On ebay Australia is a Turbo for the 865 motor, might fit yours.
Certainly give you more power.

you saw that to lol
was not sure whether fits a bon as was on a speed master. But guess it would. To be beated by a vulcan surprises me tho?

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Evil,
Stock to stock a bonnie will smoke a Vulcan 800. In the motorcycle kingdom however, a bonnie is middle of pack in speed....lots of faster and lots of slower bikes.
As mentioned, open your airbox and add pipes and tune it to make it faster. 1 grand gets you more compression and cam timing...what these bikes need to go faster.
The leading dem on these bikes are older guys that have owned faster bikes including sport bikes. We get it that speed isn't the be all. If you are a young gun that likes to race and by the way I enjoy using all the bonnie's power but don't yearn for a lot more...than buy a Speed 3 or similar...can pick up a nice one for $6-7K. Those bikes aren't as comfortable to me as a bonnie with more cramped riding position and of course don't have the old school charm...but they are very cool and most important to some are very fast.

Lastly, a comment about speed and youth. I keep my bike in town in storage because I live on a dirt road. I should probably just own a Scrambler instead but I like the T100. :) There are three twenty year olds that hang out when done riding where I keep my bike and we have become friends and talk motorcycles. They dig my bonnie and I have sat on their bikes etc. Their riding positions are very aggressive...two 600 and one 1 liter sport bike. They can smoke me easily and we talk about it. All of them have said they have hit 165 mph on their bikes. I told them that my bike may hit 115 with a strong tailwind. :) There is no comparison in speed. I don't want to go any faster...or maybe much faster...I may warm up the motor on my bike at some point but more as a fun project and not a high priority. It wouldn't change how fast I ride out on the street as I ride too fast now IMHO. I actually am concerned about these kids who I believe ride much too fast on the public roads. We would probably ride together more but honestly they ride too fast for me...hit 100-120 routinely on public roads and try to outride one another constantly. In my experience that story generally doesn't end well. They are great kids and I was just like them once and probably more luck than skill that I have gotten to the age I have.
Ride safe.
PS: by contrast Harley riders ride too slow for me. I routinely pass them. :)

Last edited:

msc66

Two Stroke
Well I got whooped yesterday by a Kawasaki vulcan 800cc I havent beat anybody since I got this bike.And I do know how to ride.I rode my dirt bike alot. Is there some way to get more power out of my bike? Would different pipes work. It seems like you have to ring its neck and rev the crap out of it to make it go. I thought a 900 would have tons more power. My uncles old 1970"s kawasaki 900 would kill me! I love my bike, and love riding it but I'm getting beet by every body.I relize its not a crotch rocket or a race bike, but I sure would like some more power.Can any body point me in the right direction please!

Anything can be made to go faster. Like already mentioned, different pipes and lose or mod the airbox and rejet the carbs. After that its inside the motor you go. Spend some time on this site searching and reading. I've only been here for a few months and I've learned a ton.

strokerlmt

+ one Speed3chris......not trying to lecture but speed is for the track, with training and experience not the public roads. This country is littered with broken bikes and bits of plastic from young guys doing stupid shit. And most end up hurt or dead.
ride safe.....
LMT

RumRunner

Street Tracker
ANYTHING can be made faster… Speed costs, so how much is it worth to you. If you’re just looking at off the line performance, then opening up the air box, and exhaust, and a quick change of your gearing will help that situation. Build what works for you. Remember though as you make anything more powerful it will cost you more to maintain it.

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
Much more fun to ride a slow bike fast that a fast bike slow. But smoked by a 900 Kawa?
Something not right there. Ridden several of them that were traded in-and none of them were close to fast.

One reason I like the Bonnie is that it's not too fast. It's fast enough to do most of what I need to do in traffic, and maneuverable enough to have fun with it. To a degree, the lack of high speed keeps me out of trouble.

The last time I rode a fast(er) bike, I was riding home from work at night, thought I was going about 70mph, felt good, looked at the speedometer: 103 :eek::nono:.

One reason I like the Bonnie is that it's not too fast. It's fast enough to do most of what I need to do in traffic, and maneuverable enough to have fun with it. To a degree, the lack of high speed keeps me out of trouble.

The last time I rode a fast(er) bike, I was riding home from work at night, thought I was going about 70mph, felt good, looked at the speedometer: 103 :eek::nono:.

+1 on that BB - you definitely "feel the speed" on a Bonnie and after 30 years and multiple different style bikes, my Bonnie is definitely a keeper.

Like others have said, if you want more power, choose a different bike or be prepared to spend $$$ - how fast can you afford to go? :rock:

Cheers,

Pikey.

mikenva

Rocker
Much more fun to ride a slow bike fast that a fast bike slow. But smoked by a 900 Kawa?
Something not right there. Ridden several of them that were traded in-and none of them were close to fast.
You better not put money on beating a 70s 900 kaw you will loose your money.they ran in 12s in 1/4

Kirkus51

Hooligan
The bonnies have what I call useable power. They're fun to carve a canyon with and have enough oomph to go down the hiway at 70-80 all day long. They do what they're designed to do, keep the fun factor up.

Now if you're into drag racing etc. you'll have to get another bike, but be prepared when all of a sudden you've discovered you're not having as much fun as you used to on the Bonnie.

Wrong tool for the wrong job.

That's why I have Dayonta 675 that sees mostly track and my Bonnie that sees everything else but track.

There's an old saying around seasoned track day riders and racers when it comes to getting more out of your bike:....its probably not the bike...its probably you.