I need a small, economical car for work

bonZa

Street Tracker
was going to suggest a Honda but I thought you said couldnt stand the fuckers.

good luck with your purchase. I think they are one of the best small cars around

btw, I see some people suggested a corolla.

corollas are the most overated car ever made. I bought one new in 1999 fully imported from japan. the gearbox shit itself at 130,000 kilometers, I was staggered this could happen to such a "reliable" car. the gearbox rebuilder said he had a few to repair ever since Toyota marketed them to a more spirited driver. they usually are bought by slow driving farts who dont give them any stress and so give the impression of being some sort of unbreakable vehicle, of course they wont break down if you dont go over 80 KPH (50MPH)

rodburner

Rocker
Jeff,post a pic of yourself driving that thing,so we will know what a monkey,inside a fucking football, looks like...LOL

ssjones

750cc
Fit is go!
I like those things.

If it doesn't work out, any Toyota dealer should be falling all over themselves to sell you something.

We bought my college-age daughter an '04 Kia Optima. I was pretty surprised at the fit & finish, which would be pretty close to the level in my Accord and Altima. It has some nice features that the Accord/Altima doesn't have (articulated trunk hinges for one). It's prety big inside, Accord sized.

I put 250,000 miles on an '03 Accord and spent $120 on total maintenance.

The CVT tranny failed on my '08 Altima at 60k. I fought with the factory to get it replaced under warranty (600 miles past the powertrain warranty). A few months ago, Nissan upped the CVT warranty coveage to 120k and 10 years. I've had no other issue with the Altima and it now has 125k on it.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Hrmmm I'd say avoid the mazda 3, make sure you test drive the fit at highway speed, I drovev one and it had no guts 80mph was problematic and shaky, but it was an auto.
Nicole has that mazda 3 and it is absolutely GUTLESS. On ramps are a fucking nightmare, other than the power issue it is a nice little car tho, fit and finish is top notch and the car is nice and tight.

normandy

Street Tracker
Hrmmm I'd say avoid the mazda 3, make sure you test drive the fit at highway speed, I drovev one and it had no guts 80mph was problematic and shaky, but it was an auto.
Nicole has that mazda 3 and it is absolutely GUTLESS. On ramps are a fucking nightmare, other than the power issue it is a nice little car tho, fit and finish is top notch and the car is nice and tight.

Must be something wrong with it, mine goes like hell. Mine is an 05 with the larger 4cyl, might have made a change in your year ?

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Must be something wrong with it, mine goes like hell. Mine is an 05 with the larger 4cyl, might have made a change in your year ?

hers is an 08 and it is horribly slow, even the tip tronic semi manual thing wont let you have any fun. I dont know about any motor changes to em though so that may be it

drlapo

Hooligan
my brother had an 06 Honda civic with an auto trans and it was horrible
the gear ratios were all wrong and the poor thing had to rev its balls off to get up any inlcine
45mpg?? maybe in kansas with a tailwind ;closer to 26 mpg at those revs

I'm waiting on my bank to talk to her bank, exchange $$$, Title, etc and I'll probably be able to take possession tomorrow! I hope I can get it tomorrow because I have to drive to La Grange and back and it will save me money vs driving my truck.

Hrmmake sure you test drive the fit at highway speed, I drovev one and it had no guts 80mph was problematic and shaky, but it was an auto.

the Fit is fine at highway speeds. I drove it up to 80ish. I'm not buying it for acceleration though. It is for work; MPGs and storage are my main concerns. They are super light, only like 2300lbs, so that might account for the high speed issues you noticed.

Fit is go. This one is a 5 spd manual. I won't buy anything with an auto-trans. I hate automatics.

henrys

Street Tracker
If you don't mind the dork factor get a kia. Brand new for $14k with a 100k/10yr warranty. Not all that bad looking these days either.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
I started a thread a few weeks back asking about the Dodge Avenger. Well after a couple weeks of driving what was out there in my price range I ended up with a 2010 Mazda 3, with 5 speed/air/cruise/steering wheel radio controls/bluetooth etc etc.

No problems getting up to, or keeping highway speeds. Lots of pep, great seats and transmission, amazing FIT and finish...all around, a great little car.

And for 0% for 5 years with 3 month deferred, no other company would/could even come close. After a Dodge Caliber, he asked what he needed to do to get me in that car..."5 yrs 0%, with 3 months deffered", He looked, snickered and more or less said yeah right. "Mazda has it"...hmmm let me go check....Comes back with 3.9% for 3 years.

Anyways, have fun with, but don't throw, a FIT.

innominate

Street Tracker
I saw a vintage yugo on Lamar that woulda been a good car for ya. But the fit might be more reliable transportation in the long run.

trekr

Scooter
Try the MX5... I paid 16K for this one (2008) 6sp man, Touring edition...

IMG_6909.JPG