I need a small, economical car for work

drlapo

Hooligan
I had very good luck with a Ford Focus; 28 mpg and no problems at all
the gear box ratios were a perfect match for the engine

had nothing but problems with Hondas and Acuras

AceT100

Rocker
I'm on my 3rd Hyundai, still have #2 as well...

#1 was a 2000 Accent, traded it in 2004 at 113,000 miles for.....replaced brake pads & 4 tires, original clutch.

#2 2004 Elantra, currently at 129,000, original brake pads...still (lots of freeway miles) its had 6 tires, a thermostat & a battery, still going strong

#3 2009 Elantra Touring (like a little wagon) currently at almost 10,000 with no issues whatsoever.

Literally, rotate the tires & change the oil on all of them, never had an issue, all get 28-33 mpg.

And unlike a Civic or Accord, NOBODY will ever steal them....they are very uncool...

Works for me

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
For the record, my 1995 Nissan Maxima, while it *only* gets 23-24 mpg, is pushing 190,000 miles and going strong. Tires, brakes, the odd belt here and there, a starter motor, bushings needing replacing from the salt and junk, etc. Stuff you'd expect after 16 years of never being parked inside. Runs great. And, yeah, I've changed the oil more than 3 times.

Last edited:
I found a really nice 2007 Honda Fit with just over 40,000 miles on it. The price is right and it's in good shape. The driver has all the records, and has kept a MPG journal since tank #1! It's always returned over 30mpg. I test drove it this morning. LOTS of room, both in the driver's seat and in the back. Damn thing was zippy and fun to drive. I think it's the one. I got the loan approved and I'll probably sign the papers tomorrow.

whyme

TT Racer
Snap it up....Honda's are great for me.....oil changes only and I'm up to 34K miles. And even if you keep it and run it into the 120K plus....someone will always want it.

drlapo

Hooligan
good luck with that
every Honda product I have owned (+Acura) has been crap with the exception of a 1987 XL250
"from the same people who brought you Pearl Harbor"

I drove a fit in Japan for a couple weeks. That thing was the shit. Get it!

The one we rented was metallic pink, though. Try to avoid.

strokerlmt

Sweatmachine...the best 4 banger.....I have ever had was a 1996 Toyota Hylux 4 door pick-up from Japan. Simple engine....I purchased in the Cayman Islands and drove for 70-80k before I sold it when I got the Jetta Comapny Car. I missed it so much i bought it back from the guy for the same price 5 months later. Then I sold it to a friend in Cayman when we left in 03. After the hurricane in 04....the truck was covered in salt water and washed 100 yards into the bush. They needed a bulldozer to pull it out. My friend flushed out the truck and the engine with a auto shop....drenched it in wd40 and he now has 140k and it is still going. It was no speed demon but it won't quit......
LMT

rodburner

Rocker
For the record, my 1995 Nissan Maxima, while it *only* gets 23-24 mpg, is pushing 150,000 miles and going strong. Tires, brakes, the odd belt here and there, a starter motor, bushings needing replacing from the salt and junk, etc. Stuff you'd expect after 16 years of never being parked inside. Runs great. And, yeah, I've changed the oil more than 3 times.

Don't forget to mention that it also has THE hottest passenger seat seat cover that we've ever seen...

normandy

Street Tracker
Love my little Mazda 3, good on gas but with power, tiptronic trans, a real runner and well made. Good price on a 1 or 2 year old.

good luck with that
every Honda product I have owned (+Acura) has been crap with the exception of a 1987 XL250
"from the same people who brought you Pearl Harbor"

my best guess is that since I've been alive my family has had 6-8 honda cars (and 4 motorcycles), and a '93 Acura Integra owned by me while in college, and we've never had any problems with them.

Love my little Mazda 3, good on gas but with power, tiptronic trans, a real runner and well made. Good price on a 1 or 2 year old.

yeah, I read a lot of positive reviews on the Mazda 3. They all said it had great power and was a very good car. A friend of mine has one. I like them but the layout of this Fit, err, fits me better. :D Hell, I could probably fit my Bonnie in the back of the car if it were layed on its side!

here's the Fit I'm probably getting tomorrow:

fit1.jpg

fit2.jpg

fit4-1.jpg

fit3.jpg