How do you use your bike?

wobblygong

Street Tracker
You guys should get together and have a foursome!

Ahhh Mike, now you're getting the idea. You're settling into this forum very nicely my friend.

As for riding, I ride when and wherever the need takes me. But in saying this, I find the naked Bonneville great for 1-2 day trips but I shy away from anything longer.

I'm an old fart anyway and what I used to do all night, now takes me all night to do......if you get my drift.

strokerlmt

wobb....I thought about ridin West one time......but I was a little depressed at the time and had second thoughts as the rpm'ssss rose......
How the hell are u ?????
LMT

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I ride mine when the weather is nice and when the mood strikes me. I originally bought it as sort of my decompression chamber when things started to overwhelm me. I'm sure most of you guys have had that sort of feeling. A good ride of and hour or so and I'm feeling OK again.

slobinski

Scooter
I don't commute on mine (got the company pickup for that), so it's strictly for fun. Day trips exploring rural two-lane roads, forest roads, small towns, sometimes just an afternoon romp. It's been a great bike to take camping, too. I've done lots of overnight trips on it and one week long tour.

DandyDoug

750cc
I am trying to use the Bonneville more and for various chores every week. I have placed my other bike in a shop on consignment and plan to just have one bike now so it will get a lot of use.

About the only thing I am not able to do is pick up the wifes dry cleaning with it. Stuffing her freshly dry cleand clothes in the saddle bags or tank bag did not go over very well at home, if you get my drift. LOL

T-boy

Rocker
Only when there is a 20% chance of rain or less....commuting to work, errands, and 20 - 30 mile treks in the country on weekends. I really enjoy early morning rides when the fields are still wet with dew and there's very few other vehicles on the road. Usually stop at one of the 2 parks in the area and have a smoke or two while watching people admire the Bonnie. Isn't life great!!!

jhillier71

Street Tracker
when it isnt snowing or raining I drive it to work after dropping my son off at daycare with the truck (2 1/2 yr olds don't balance well on the tank.....joking)

In the past 2 months I have put over 1300 km on it and taking the thrux out for an all day run next Sunday with a buddy.

my neighboor is also a H-D guy, and he already knows he wont keep up when we head out for the first time :)

He told his wife when he was turning 5-0 she had a choice 'cause he was getting either a Harley or a girlfriend. He got the bike.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
The other day I had a neighbor give me grief because I said I rarely go on pleasure rides on my bike. I commute, run errands, pretty much anything I can do on my bike I do. I might incorporate a short ride into an errand but I think I've only gone on 3 rides where I rode with other bikes just to ride in 2 years.

So what about you guys?

Good for you.... Me too. I like to think a motorcycle is still legitimate transportation, a vehicle. And I use it as such. Errands, commuting to work, joy rides, and a few long trips in the mountains for fun. About 7,000 miles a year...

My HD buddy's have about 2500 miles total on their bikes. I have no time to stand around all day staring with those groups.... . just grab my helmet and ... go!

phil

Street Tracker
The day I saw him I was getting on my bike after getting my hair cut and he pulled up on his Harley and asked when we were going riding. I said I rarely have the time to ride just for the sake of riding and he scoffed, "why do you have it then?" I said what are you doing now? let's go and he said he had to drop something off at the office and couldn't. HA!

On the other hand I know guys who only ride on planned outings so I was just wondering.

yeah! theres guy with harleys around here to that only go to the coffee shop and back. And they like to bug me that I ride mine everyday to work and back, One guy at city Hall were I work calls me the "IRON MAN" I told him rain or snow the bonnie will go. lol . I like to take my bike any chance I get. cheers guys

koifarm

Hooligan
Harley drivers are skeered to ride for distances without some other Harley drivers nearby, a ride captain, tail sweep, support truck, intersection guards,clothing monitors, advance bar scouts and a wrecker/flatbed truck.
And heaven forbid you don't use the proper hand signals!

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I live on an island accessed by a ferry. I ride my bike locally a little bit, but on most trips off of the island when I don't need to carry much. Most of those trips are total of 60 to 100 miles. During busy weekends, the ferry line can be as long as two hours, but bikes go and pass a couple of miles of stop and go and get on the first boat. I have been doing that since the mid 60s.

Nick Morey

Rocker
Harley drivers are skeered to ride for distances without some other Harley drivers nearby, a ride captain, tail sweep, support truck, intersection guards,clothing monitors, advance bar scouts and a wrecker/flatbed truck.
And heaven forbid you don't use the proper hand signals!

Ha! :lol3: Very well said, koi.

I was riding behind a pack of them, on the way home from work this week, trudging along at 50-55, at one point one of 'em was doing the bird (like from the movie "Easyrider"). At one point, I can take one of 2 roads home... I was thinking, ok, which way are these guys going so I can go the other way!!! (they took the good road, dammit)

Last edited:
Camp grounds like Morro Bay State park:

DSCF0309.jpg

One of my favorite campsites on the coast. I'll spend hours at the "rock", watching the surf when I'm there. Something about the surf and beach that puts the right perspectives in life.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I just had this conversation on Saturday while getting my bike inspected. The mech is an old time rider who gave it up because he "had no time" . I told him when I have no time I just use my bike instead of my car, for errands. But he like so many guys, got into the $20k Harleys and he felt he had to justify all that cash by touring. For less $$ , you can let it sit, or jut run a few errands but once you spend 20 large, there is pressure . I have heard this before. Makes a good case for adopting some craigslist refugee like my Suzuki and fixing it up. If its worth nothing, you never have to sell it or justify it.

GuyM

Street Tracker
I do all sorts of riding with the Scrambler. Running around town, bike-nights, short & longer trips, an occasional tour, even a fair amount of exploring on our local dirt roads. I like to ride to my favorite fly fishing waters, park the Scrambler, and see if I can entice a trout to rise. My favorite is riding a country road at a modest pace, two-up, with my wife. Next best is exploring the back roads, paved and unpaved, with some good friends, or my son now that he's starting to ride.

Winter is tough for riding here. I do a little, on rare afternoons when the roads are dry and ice-free, but mostly the Triumph stays tucked securely in the garage while I'm skiing. Too much ice and snow for this fellow to ride much here in winter.