strange startup behaviour

ddwasher

Scooter
so i am new, and i have a 2009 bonnie black. no hiccups till this morning when it did something kinda weird. perhaps one of you more mechanically inclined gents may have an explanation.
so it was about 6-7 degrees celsius when i went out. turned the ignition, heard the usual efi whirring noise, pulled the choke to the first position for the cold start and the bike started up just fine. let it run rich for about 8 seconds and pressed the choke in, it was idling fine. then i geared up while the bike idled for one minute. no problems. then as i was about to take off it sputtered and died. it wasn't a stall or anything, it just made like it was going to go and then died. after that the bike would not start. it would ALMOST start but then sputtered and died. it took me about 8 tries, turning the ignition off each time and waiting 5 seconds between tries. i tried both with and without the choke. when it finally caught i had to give it a bit of throttle to prevent it from dying again. after this it ran fine, and started up again later without issue. tank was full. the bike is not even broken in yet, with less than 1000 kms on the clock.
so what is it in a fuel injected bike that can cause this?

normandy

Street Tracker
Idle too low ? These bikes like to be warm. I usually ride off with the choke still on a little and reach down and close it after a couple miles.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I admit that the bonnie likes a nice warm up. I don't have a fuelie but my carbed Black died on me a couple of times when it wasn't warmed up.

AceT100

Rocker
Full choke, press starter, allow to start & run for 10-15 seconds on full, then push half way back in, ride at least a mile before pushing it all the way in.

They are cold blooded creatures.

DON'T TOUCH THE THROTTLE WHEN STARTING

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
I know most EFI machines are voltage dependant so if you had to crank on the starter more than once while letting it warm up you may of inadvertently discharged just enough to cause a voltage drop and have it do what it did. ONE time, mine did the same thing so I now don't usually start it up before I am ready to ride and like the other fellow said, after I get down the road a bit, I reach down and click off the enrichning device. If you leave it on while letting the bike warm up for to long prepare to purchase some type of BLUE BE GONE to polish your pipes back to chrome as they will yellow on you if the "choke" is on to long.

AceT100

Rocker
If you leave it on while letting the bike warm up for to long prepare to purchase some type of BLUE BE GONE to polish your pipes back to chrome as they will yellow on you if the "choke" is on to long.

Or wear the blue as a badge of honor :finger2:

The EFI bikes might be good candidates for being put on the Battery Tender whenever they're in the garage.

Forget about getting rid of the blue, more trouble than it's worth. It shows that you actually ride it.

strokerlmt

I'm carbed and my bike likes very much to be warm.....it will die easily when first started for the day if not warm nuff....
LMT

ddwasher

Scooter
hmm, the voltage thing seems to make sense. im thrown off by the fact that it was idling just fine while i geared up. and then when i was trying to start it again i tried both with and without choke. the problem hasn't repeated itself so i'll let it be. but i will take everyone's advice and let it run rich for longer.

albo

Scooter
If it's any help I've a 2009 bonnie SE and I never use the 'choke' thingy.Even in cold weather just turn on and press the starter and she settles down straight away at about 1000 revs. I must admit I haven't tried it when frosty 'cause they've invented things called 'cars'!

hs01jowe

Two Stroke
It's not actually a choke on the EFI bikes since the fuel/air mix is auto adjusted.. It just gives the engine a bit more throttle on idle.

My dealer told me to have the first level of the "choke" on when I first started the bike from cold (idle about 1400 rpm), and then to put my gear on. This way it warms up without the owner having to just sit and wait for it :)

koifarm

Hooligan
Am I blue?

I think blue pipes actually make your bike faster, how 'bout you? :rock:

I had a nagging feeling that your idea was valid so I went out and painted my pipes all blue with some heat resistant paint.
I literally had to hang on for dear life the first time I cranked the throttle and top end was somewhere near 150mph or so, it was hard to see the speedo since my eyes were tearing up from wind blast....it's true, it's true!!!:lol3::lol3::lol3::lol3: