250 Cafe Racer?

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Ok, so like an idiot I am looking at another (project) bike. This time it is a '69 TR25W Trophy, basically a 250 single. It needs some work done to the iginition, but the guy says it is all there and ready to go (after the igintion) for $2500 - which iskinda steep for the bike. Now up here in Toronto there is a big cafe racer thing going on, and the guys have some pretty sweet looking bikes (Jap, Euro) and I would like to try to do one myself, but would a 250 be too small? I have also found a totally, and I mean every nut and bolt stripped '71 T100C. This is the ultimate project bike, and it would be nice to say I put it together myself. Basically, I am bored, and am looking to have something to work on for a bit. The 2 Trail Blazers are getting more attention, and should be road legal in another month, and the Bonneville mods are just about done, for this year anyways.

So, thoughts, opinions....???

Texas94fs

Hooligan
DO it! a 250 cafe racer will be fine so long as you aren't expecting it to be the fastest thing out there. I've seen a few nicely done smaller cafe bikes, ain't a thing wrong with it

Craigore

TT Racer
Are cafe bikes popular in Toronto? I listed my Bonneville on Buffalo CL and got a few responses from people in Canada.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
As a project to keep you busy, do it. As a bike to do something other than bomb around the neighborhood, it might be a tad small.

Rocker

Two Stroke
A buddy of mine had a Royal Enfield Crusader 250GT back in the 60's that was quick for the day, looked real good too. Never saw any cafed Tiger Cubs, you could set a trend.

drlapo

Hooligan
I "cafed" my B25 back in 1969, low bars, short mega
the BSA "Starfire" and "Barracuda" had a high perfomance engine compared to the Fleetstar C25 or the older C15
it was quick and fun

should I do it to my B50?

Last edited:

strokerlmt

I have thought numerous times that I would like to rebuld a brit single 250, 400 500....something about the singles.......
LMT

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Here's the bike in question. I am going to look at it fri night. Bad news is I found found I need some work done to the roof which will cost about $1500...Stupid roofs!

Attachments

• 42061jb_19.jpg
    42061jb_19.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 0

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
It looks cool, but I wouldn't .

You will do all that work and then wonder why you didn't just get a 650, or at least a 500.

tires, batteries, insurance, misc. parts.. all for a 250???? Nahh...go bigger or you will regret it. Ask me how I know.

strokerlmt

I searched the web and I think the price is high IMHO.......
My search shows about 600-700 less......
My opinion.....if you get it for less F the roof....blue tarp ;-)))
LMT

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
It looks cool, but I wouldn't .

You will do all that work and then wonder why you didn't just get a 650, or at least a 500.

tires, batteries, insurance, misc. parts.. all for a 250???? Nahh...go bigger or you will regret it. Ask me how I know.

Hey Sal, how do you know?

The T100C would be a good project for cheaper, and it would be more rewarding, but like I said everything is in pieces, and although Jap bikes are a dime a dozen, and spare parts are bountiful, I just wouldn't feel right about riding a one. I mean, it wouldn't leak, it would start/stop as it should, lights would work all the time, but, I don't think it would have any character. Dunno...

Craigore

TT Racer
This guy bart molenda was trying to buy my cafe'd bike. was real hot on it for a while. googled the name and email, seems pretty important

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
ok Mark I have an old 250 that is currently living in my garage. Ok, its a decent trainer for friends or relatives who want to learn. But I just put on ( ebay) cast wheels, tires, fork seals, brakes and my son lost a side cover. In addition I put a hole in one of the pipes accidently when i jacked it up. So i will be buying pipes.
dscn1134.jpg

its a great little bike - oh.. and this summer I will have to check the valves. i got it inspected last weekend (passed!), registration and insurance are due. on and on...and I really wish, since I have to maintain this little bike, whenever I work on it - I really wish all the effort and expense was going to something with some balls, something that can cruise on the highway, something useable.

phil

Street Tracker
Ok, so like an idiot I am looking at another (project) bike. This time it is a '69 TR25W Trophy, basically a 250 single. It needs some work done to the iginition, but the guy says it is all there and ready to go (after the igintion) for $2500 - which iskinda steep for the bike. Now up here in Toronto there is a big cafe racer thing going on, and the guys have some pretty sweet looking bikes (Jap, Euro) and I would like to try to do one myself, but would a 250 be too small? I have also found a totally, and I mean every nut and bolt stripped '71 T100C. This is the ultimate project bike, and it would be nice to say I put it together myself. Basically, I am bored, and am looking to have something to work on for a bit. The 2 Trail Blazers are getting more attention, and should be road legal in another month, and the Bonneville mods are just about done, for this year anyways.

So, thoughts, opinions....???

I think a 250 would good for buring around town, My buddie is selling me his kz 650 for the exact same reason, I would like something to work on; when I get kicked out of the house from the wife.