2005 Bonneville Winter Mods

Nick Morey

Rocker
very interesting thread arctic, well put together. Looking forward to seeing the progress unfold. Thanks for info on the LED bulbs.

Last edited:
Some more progress, nothing too exciting, but necessary.

I finally received the final piece to my new set of body parts. The tank was really difficult to find but I eventually scored a Thrux tank on ebay.

4356594703_d704c2d115_b.jpg

Now to keep prepping the pieces for paint. They should be painted by mid-March.

I also removed the front directionals in preparation for the installation of the painted Fly Screen.

4356593991_7e5599a740.jpg
4357341094_7b9d3b0c6a.jpg

Simple stuff, yes, but getting closer.

Filled some problem areas with glaze and primed the side covers. Started sanding the fender and fly screen. Pics of that process coming.

4376600507_b8f2727a25.jpg

So I know these updates are kind of lame, in that it's just typical bodywork garbage, but it's helping me stay motivated to catalogue the work as it goes on. Just bear with me till the wrenching starts.

It's also been really fun to learn as the process goes on.

Painting will be cool too, I guess.

Here's some more pics of body work. My friend Kris was once again my helper and camera man. Good guy, he is.

I've finished the side covers and fly screen and tomorrow I'll be doing the new fender and seat cowl. Then it's the gas tank, which I might try to get soda blasted or something. I'll know better once I do more research on the best method of stripping a tank. I really am sick of sanding this shit.

Filling the imperfections with some goop.
4379687375_644a8edd9a.jpg

Letting goop dry.
4380444044_b544fa8ff9.jpg

Sanding goop till flush with surrounding areas.
4379688773_1d62f0ee62.jpg

Hey I'm not doing too bad, for a first time!

Last edited:
I have used sandblasting to remove paint, but needs to be sealed and primed right away, rust forms just from the moisture in the air. We have a 72 Nova we built and the previous owner had the firewall sandblasted, whenever I turn on the defroster sand shoots out of the defrost vents! For years it has been doing this! Not a problem on a tank if openings are masked off first. Back then soda blast wasn't available. Prep is the most important process in a paint job. Basecoat/Clearcoat paint is very dependable to apply if you follow the directions on the can.
Good job.

So I know these updates are kind of lame, in that it's just typical bodywork garbage, but it's helping me stay motivated to catalogue the work as it goes on. Just bear with me till the wrenching starts.

Hey I'm not doing too bad, for a first time!

Not "lame" at all. It's always appreciated when people take the time and trouble to make posts like yours to give others like me inspiration and ideas. Thanks.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Another quick bolt on part. Got a Bella Corse rear fender and LED brake/running light.

Not too bad to put on, but not as simple as they'd have you believe.

4411203557_3145fa076a.jpg

I took apart the old light and used the harness with some splicing of the old wires to the new light.

4411970534_29df3c2baa.jpg

Here's the wiring. I need to cut it down and tie it all off, but I'm waiting for the directionals to do that.

4411970222_89438cb77b.jpg

Here's the final product. Running light. The brakes are very bright.

4411969968_1e9e2c66d4.jpg

EDIT: I wanted to thank Pikey for some good help on this. Turns out the problem was a bad fuse, but even so he took a good amount of time to troubleshoot for me. THANKS PIKEY!

Last edited:
Looks good - gonna be awesome to see the whole bike once it's finished. No probs for helping you out mate. When I am at my shop, I sit on my arse doing nothing for about 75% of the time so a little bit of research on your behalf was a pleasure!

Cheers & keep it coming.

Pikey.

Here's the final product. Running light. The brakes are very bright.

4411969968_1e9e2c66d4.jpg

QUOTE]

I'd be curious to see how well that worked in conjunction with a dresser bar. I've been looking to switch out to a fender eliminator kit, but not at the cost of sacrificing my dresser bar.

What's the total height of the light itself? I'm wondering if it would still be visible within the gap between the bottom of the seat and the top of the dresser bar.

Woops, didn't see the question. Total height is maybe 1 1/4 inch. I'll get a really accurate measurement when I get out to the garage.

Last edited:
My friend and I put on some signals tonight. Kuryakyn things with horrible brackets that didn't work at all. The brackets were a waste of $49. Oh well. Ended up rigging some plastic spacers to my rear fender.

Here's some pics.

4461624874_67e3529cde.jpg

Here I am drilling some spacers for the lights. Note I'm using a hammer drill with a masonry bit.... I guess you just make due with what you got : P
4461624408_f6bdd78822.jpg

Worked though!
4460846603_3f1af1e1e8.jpg

Here the hardware is fitted, but not yet wired.
4461623782_0b71571edd.jpg

All wired up and tidied with zip ties.
4461623558_3e4242c5cd.jpg

Lighted. Holy shit it worked.
4461623310_18f4d6e738.jpg

Kuryakyn detail. These things are pretty sweet.
4460841525_cc72886db9.jpg

Now I have to get going on the front signals.

Adios.

rodburner

Rocker
Nice job. I see your bullets have 3 wires. Dual function right? My fronts are like that. I wanted to run them as running lights and blinkers,but because there is only 1 set of LEDs,they were either/or,not true dual function.I ended up just using them as blinkers.I have the other Module to make them running/blinker,but would have had to hide that module up front somewhere,down stream from the diode junction that allows both blinkers to activate the factory blinker LED in the speedo. Too much hassle.

Hey rod,

Yeah I couldn't see an easy way to make them run as running lights, and my brake light functions as a running light, so I said to hell with it.

I was looking at the headlight bucket and it seems like that's going to be a miserable time. Do I have to fit a second load equalizer in the bucket??

rodburner

Rocker
You might be able to fit it under the tank instead. I use the 4710 module [run/turn/brake] so all the LED loads were built in.

Alright so I've fitted the BC performance package and it's awesome. I'll post some pics of that soon.

I have a question though. I'm ready to paint this thing and I'm going with red and white scheme. I want to use the Triumph colors and I know their red is "Tornado Red", the paint code to which I've found from Dupont.

What color should I go with for the white? I know Triumph has a lot of different whites, "Crystal", "Fusion", "New England", etc.

I'm thinking fusion? I'm just unsure. I want a brilliant white. Anyone know which is which?