Bonny Rival Kawasaki W800 is Real

mark66

TT Racer
I wonder about all the people complaining about the rear drum on that website. Have they ever ridden a bike with a rear drum? It's about as effective as a rear disc, in my experience, maybe even better sometimes.
My old Yamahas all have drum brakes, front and rear, and I will admit a front disc is much better, but the rear disc on every bike I have owned have no feel to them. A drum brake with a rod actuater will give you a bit more feedback, and is just as effective.

+1 on the rear drum. I've quickly locked up the rear in a skid several times on my old BSA's. The front.......well that's another story.

I agree with what dschief said "A drum brake with a rod actuater will give you a bit more feedback" I like trail braking into corners and as the swinging arm loads and unloads you can feel it on your foot with slight pedal rise and fall.
I disagree a bit with mark66 about the front TLS on the 70 BSA, if set up properly they can lock the front wheel and have good feel all of the way to that point. Having said that you have to work at it to get it that good, discs just work without any effort. I'm not familiar with the later conical brake on the 72.

mark66

TT Racer
Otherwise, I'm sure your right about the front brakes. Mine probably are not set up to their maximum capabilities as I never really ride the bikes much harder than a "Sunday drive". I was kind of thinking of how the front disc seems to grab easily with a lot less pull on the brake lever. I probably need to work on my riding skills more instead of taking "Sunday drives".

I never really ride the bikes much harder than a "Sunday drive"

And rightly so. My 69 TR6R has the same front TLS as your 70 A65T and these days I treat the old girl with the same Sunday drive respect as you give yours. My comments about brake capabilities really refer back to a time when my old girl and this old bloke were both fresh.

dschief

750cc
A TLS front brake can approach the stopping power of a disc, my 74 250 has a really good front TLS drum. It all comes down to set up and shoe material. Sadly, my 71 R5 has a terrible TLS drum, owing mostly to the lack of good quality shoes available for replacement. Vesrah will never be my first choice for brake shoes or pads, but they are the only company making the shoes anymore, at least that I can find. The OEM shoes on the 250 are really good, but no longer available.
A big plus of drum brakes, no brake fluid required!

mark66

TT Racer
You guys have reminded me that this winter I'll be replacing the front shoes on the '70 and the rears on the '72. And yeah, no brake fluid! Cables, linkage and rods, no air bubbles!;)

When you replace the front shoes, make sure you file down the two leading edges and put plenty of hacksaw cuts across the shoes to about half the depth of the shoe thickness to collect worn material, then clean them out frequently.

Boofhead

Banned
kawasakiw650-1.jpg

Kawasaki-W800.jpg

I do think it's great how they can take pictures years apart and line up the bikes at almost the exact same angle....

plans for the bike might be real. The picture is questionable.

Looks like a disk on the rear of the W800

mark66

TT Racer
When you replace the front shoes, make sure you file down the two leading edges and put plenty of hacksaw cuts across the shoes to about half the depth of the shoe thickness to collect worn material, then clean them out frequently.

Great tip, thanks, did the rears on the '70 last winter when I had the wheel respoked but never thought of that. Thanks again.

KingBear

Hooligan
Not much room for ambiguity. The brochure has a very clear picture of the rear brake, plus the rationale "160mm rear drum brake complements the simple, uncluttered design of the W800's rear end." I like it.

oldmanjob

Scooter
V7 Club Man Racer with about 50hp. That is rather disappointing. Anyone for a slow race?

Don't fool your self, the 750 small block is not a slouch. I have a V7Classic, and it is a faster, nimbler bike than the 06 Bonnie I totaled with all the mods. I believe if you test ride especially the V7cafe model you would be surprised at the power coming from a 750 small block.