Bonny Rival Kawasaki W800 is Real

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2010/august/aug2710-kawasaki-w800-is-real/

W800.jpg

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I see a few bits off of it that I'd like to see on the bonnie as standard, the finned connections for the headers, the cylinder head/cam cover looks more retro, but the way the bike creates a U shape just seems off for it, plus it just annoys the piss out of me that they just want some of the market and have essentially created the exact same bike as the bonneville. Make your own fucking bike.

Gretsch

Rocker
If they price it right it could take some market share away from Triumph. I think that's the biggest reason Enfield is still around. If it's in the same $ ballpark as a Bonneville then why not get the original?

Last edited:

mark66

TT Racer
Is it just me or am I seeing a bevel drive on that motor? Thats not something I've seen on a Triumph. It may be a copy but I like the way it looks. They did the same thing in the 60's/70's so would anyone expect anything different now?

Is it just me or am I seeing a bevel drive on that motor? Thats not something I've seen on a Triumph. It may be a copy but I like the way it looks. They did the same thing in the 60's/70's so would anyone expect anything different now?

Kawasaki have used bevel driven cams in the past. Most recently on the w650 but on some older bikes as well. It's a good system and easier to maintain/adjust than the shim/bucket setup used on our Bonnies.

koifarm

Hooligan
It's never gonna be a Bonneville, and it's probably designed for a "niche market" but why not!....I always liked the W650's, not that I'd want one but hey, it might be a nice bike for the ladies.
Paint job sucks but that's an easy fix, might be interesting to repaint it to look like the Bonny's and see who catches it, other than the paint it's nice looking...
If they can bring it in far enough below the Triumphs pricing it may fly.
Wait and see kinda thing....

loxpump

Rocker
I suppose it's makes Triumph the one to copy. Didn't they try that back in the 60's? Like the Yamaha XS 650.

Kawasaki is a big company and like the W-650, I don't think it will sell enough units to satisfy the corporate appetite for $$$$$. Still, it has some very good looks to it.

God, I always wanted one of those Ducati 250s. That Old Kawi twin was a 750 and the few people I new that owned them said the motor was very strong. They had a problem with oil seals on the valve covers. Sound familiar????

Kirkus51

Hooligan
It sure doesn't show up on the Kawasaki USA website. Another bike for the world but not us?? Anyway, don't need it. I got my Black and that's that.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
someone should have told them this time the Brits are kickin ass.

I like it okay, but I would rather just have the real thing.Wonder what the price will be?