Memorial Day

Motley

750cc
"Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 31 in 2010). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in the military service.[1] First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War (it is celebrated near the day of reunification after the Civil War), it was expanded after World War I." - from Wikipedia

Ahhh, the part that says "it is celebrated near the day of reunification after the civil war" was the part I was looking for, now it makes sense to me. I could have Googled it, but thought dialogue was a better way to learn. Obviously the date has lesser meaning to those of us from the Commonwealth, who typically observe November 11th as a time of remembrance.

Motley

750cc
I have to say that my hat is off to this forum, I am glad I signed up. I posted that poem above to show remembrance for Memorial day on the "other" forum and I got one reply from someone that put a political spin on it...completely fucking classless. Thanks folks...this place is great!

I'm sure you've found that most on this forum seem to be supportive of the military.

Nick Morey

Rocker
"Obviously the date has lesser meaning to those of us from the Commonwealth, who typically observe November 11th as a time of remembrance." - Motley

We celebrate Veteran's Day on November 11th, probably for the same reason you folks do. The ending of hostilities and the signing of The Armistice that ended World War I.

Motley

750cc
"Obviously the date has lesser meaning to those of us from the Commonwealth, who typically observe November 11th as a time of remembrance." - Motley

We celebrate Veteran's Day on November 11th, probably for the same reason you folks do. The ending of hostilities and the signing of The Armistice that ended World War I.

That's what always struck me as strange, the fact that you had two acts of remembrance. The reference to your civil war explains a lot. I knew about Veterans day but could never quite figure out Memorial day. You've put it all into perspective for me, thanks.

FWIW, I'm hoping to visit Gettysburg this summer..........I'd like to pay my respects.

strokerlmt

Tang.....you will find with time why we are here on this site. It took me a few weeks but I caught on reallll fast.
i'm a Scot...( The MacTavish Clan fought with William Wallace but there is also some opinions that we flip flopped from Scotland to Britain as the outcomes could be predicted ). Born in Amsterdam Holland of Canadian parents after the war,....then Canadian.....then Caymanian citizen.....and now US of AAAAA.
My father made numerous US Air force fighter pilots during the war and met and respected Chuck Yeger during a test program. They were never borders for my father with pilots and I feel the same....
LMT

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
After spending all my fifteen years so far overseas for the Air Force, I not only appreciate but respect how you and your old man see the world as pertaining to borders. I have learned from my experiences, that we have a hell of a lot more in common at the end of the day than we do differences. My hat is off and my beer is raised to you and your old man!

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Notice that the Brits, Canadians and Aussies are strangely silent in this thread? Can somebody tell us the significance of Memorial Day or it's date?

I know LMT is a Canuck......but he's 'mericanized now.

Motley, in Australia and New Zealand, we commemorate those who have fought and died in the service of their country in all wars and conflicts, on ANZAC Day which falls on April 25 each year.

The acronym ANZAC originated in World War 1 at Gallipoli where many, many Australian and New Zealand troops were killed or injured in a bloody campaign fighting against the Turks. Thousands of Turkish troops were killed or injured as well before the British military generals realised it was a futile campaign and withdrew the ANZAC troops. Basically, it was a shumbles from start to finish, a crushing defeat. The British military of the day basically saw Aussie and Kiwi troops as cannon fodder and mounted this disasterous battle with very little thought or planning. Incredible acts of bravery and heroism were shown by the troops involved and thus the ANZAC traditon was born.

Although the ANZAC tradition started with the Gallipoli campaign, it has continued on through all subsequent wars and conflicts.
On Anzac Day in Australia & New Zealand, returned servicemen and women, as well as their decendants, gather at dawn services in cities and towns across the two countries and later march through the streets wearing their medals and carrying banners depicting their units. People still turn out in their thousands to take part in the rememberance services or to watch the marchers. It is interesting to note that in the big cities like Sydney, Melbourne etc., marchers in the parades include returned servicemen and women from countries once considered our enemies. Of course the numbers decrease every year but their memory will live on in their decendants.

What has become extremely popular in later years is for Aussies and Kiwis to travel to the shores of Gallipoli and take part in dawn services there, where it started.

I have attended many, many Anzac Day dawn services over the years and marched in the parades, either in an official capacity or not and the predominent underlying message at all those services, is to remember ALL servicemen/women of ALL nations who gave their lives in ALL wars. All prayers said at those services end with the words, "LEST WE FORGET".

So I hope this answers your question Motley as to an Aussie's slant on America's Memorial Day. I know the Brits have their own "Memorial Day" and celebrate in their own equally appropriate way.

I know for me, I haven't, until now, commented in this thread as I respect the rights of the US forum members to express their thoughts to their past and serving countrymen and women, in their OWN way, without an outsider's intrusion. IMO it's a personal thing and relevant to ones own country.

Personally, I would like to see a situation where there are no more wars, EVER, that produce returned servicemen and women.

But until then, we will remember them.

Notice that the Brits, Canadians and Aussies are strangely silent in this thread

I noticed at our towns ANZAC Day Dawn Service this year many more young faces in the reverent crowd, some with strange hair styles and facial jewellery but all were choked up like myself as the bugle rang out. Yes we observe a minutes silence at 11.00am on the 11th of November each year but ANZAC Day is special to Australians and those from NZ.

If it's Memorial Day, Armistice Day or ANZAC Day it's all very special. I particularly remember my grandfather on these occasions who was lucky enough to be captured by the Germans at Fromelles Quote "The worst 24 hours in Australian history occurred 90 years ago at Fromelles. The Australians suffered 5,533 casualties in one night. The Australian toll at Fromelles was equivalent to the total Australian casualties in the Boer War, Korean War and Vietnam War put together. It was a staggering disaster".

http://www.awm.gov.au/wartime/36/article.asp

rodburner

Rocker
Just a small note here,but Memorial day is the day we honor those men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country and Veterans day is the day we honor all current and past service men and women. Sorry if I'm repeating something mentioned before,regarding the history.
Steve, 1st/13th Inf,"forty rounds"

Motley

750cc
Tang.....you will find with time why we are here on this site. It took me a few weeks but I caught on reallll fast.
i'm a Scot...( The MacTavish Clan fought with William Wallace but there is also some opinions that we flip flopped from Scotland to Britain as the outcomes could be predicted ). Born in Amsterdam Holland of Canadian parents after the war,....then Canadian.....then Caymanian citizen.....and now US of AAAAA.
My father made numerous US Air force fighter pilots during the war and met and respected Chuck Yeger during a test program. They were never borders for my father with pilots and I feel the same....
LMT

Wow, your family has been around!

You do know what "taking the mick" means, eh? ;)

Motley

750cc
..............So I hope this answers your question Motley as to an Aussie's slant on America's Memorial Day..............

I know for me, I haven't, until now, commented in this thread as I respect the rights of the US forum members to express their thoughts to their past and serving countrymen and women, in their OWN way, without an outsider's intrusion...............

Wobbly, I didn't have any question as to an Aussies slant on Memorial Day.

You seem to have read something into my initial inquiry. There certainly was no "intrusion", I was merely asking for clarification. Judging from the responses from the US guys, they read it that way too.

BTW, being from the UK, I am very aware of the sacrifices made by Aussies and Kiwis, but that wasn't what I was asking about.

KingBear

Hooligan
My ancestors fought in the earliest wars of our nation's history. They were colonizers in the New World and pioneers during the Westward Expansion. Through the ages they have been doctors, lawyers, politicians, builders, soldiers, blacksmiths, farmers, and businessmen of all sorts. They're mostly English, Danish, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, French, Native American, with one revered soul from the Isle of Man.

I honor them all.

loxpump

Rocker
Just a small note here,but Memorial day is the day we honor those men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country and Veterans day is the day we honor all current and past service men and women. Sorry if I'm repeating something mentioned before,regarding the history.
Steve, 1st/13th Inf,"forty rounds"

Thanks Steve for posting this. I always think the same thing and I think most people get the two confused. I'm a veteran but this isn't a day for me. Another thing that has always bothered me is the over use of the word "Hero" The media seems to use it for just about everybody. I hate that because I think it kinds of diminishes the true heros. Just my 2 cents.

AceT100

Rocker
Posted by one of my Road Devil Brothers....ex-military guy

For all that have put on a uniform, my respect
For all those that wear a uniform, my respect
For all those that support those in uniform, my respect

For those that gave some and all...my deepest respect

Just thinking about what memorial day really means

strokerlmt

lox....I agree with you. The media just piss me off about everything. They always sensationalize ALL for ratings. Hero's are hero's.....not everyone is a hero. We should be thankful for all that serve....but we should be able to recognize true hero's. When I went through my fathers trunk with him one day I saw his medals. I asked him about them....and he told me that he was a senior officer and the medals were secondary to him in relation to fellow pilots. I asked why and his explanation was that the less recognized pilots who got up every day and flew against the Germans were the real hero's. He told me giving a medal meant more to him than receiving. I wish the friggin media would get lost sometimes.
LMT

DandyDoug

750cc
I put our flag up at sunrise this morning and have been reflecting back on my years of service all day.
Then I was washing the car and started thinking about my wifes Dad a former Navy and Merchant Marine sailor.
He and I often spoke of our love of country and pride of service, but that's about all he would say. When we buried him a while back my mother in law was getting some old military stuff out to go with us to the Veterans cemetary when I noticed this small ribbon. I knew what it was immediatly, she did not and gave me his discharge papers to look at.
Yep there it was in bold type, awarded the Bronze Star for action off the coast of Africa.
Brought a tear to my eye.

Many thanks to all you veterans out there for your service !!