Bonnie's Facelift

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Another great video, Matt. Question, Either I missed it or you didn't have to worry yourself much on the crank case breather hose. Is that not an issue on the later year bikes like it was on the earlier models?

The crank case breather hose, according to Triumph's manual, ran up to engine number 221607. Engine numbers 221608 and above does not have it as they re-routed it to the back side. The Haynes manual does not make mention of this and is why I like to have both manuals. To me, it seems the Triumph manual has just a little more information but I like how the Haynes manual is written and it is easy to follow for me.

The crank case breather hose, according to Triumph's manual, ran up to engine number 221607. Engine numbers 221608 and above does not have it as they re-routed it to the back side. The Haynes manual does not make mention of this and is why I like to have both manuals. To me, it seems the Triumph manual has just a little more information but I like how the Haynes manual is written and it is easy to follow for me.

Ah yes, the tube that comes out from the back of the cylinder head. That's right; now that you mention it. :D

I always thought the Triumph manual was a great resource, but I think it's produced with an unwritten understanding that you've already got a comprehensive idea of what's going on and it's more of a high level resource to refer back to, where the Haynes manual is a manual for beginners. At least that's how I view it. ;)

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Ah yes, the tube that comes out from the back of the cylinder head. That's right; now that you mention it. :D

I always thought the Triumph manual was a great resource, but I think it's produced with an unwritten understanding that you've already got a comprehensive idea of what's going on and it's more of a high level resource to refer back to, where the Haynes manual is a manual for beginners. At least that's how I view it. ;)

I agree! If I am well versed on something, then I can fly through the Triumph's manual with ease but if I'm uncertain...then it is really nice to have the Haynes.

For example...when I was putting the clutch cover together: the Triumph manual lists what parts you have, has an exploded illustration (which I really like that style) and goes into the steps. The Haynes manual on the other hand throws up some more photos such as the direction that pushrod has to go into it's sleeve. It's a bullet looking little number that has to be placed back in a specific way...the Triumph manual already assumes you know that. I have always bounced both manuals off of each other when working on the bike.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
**LET'S PLAY B06TANG IS A DUMB FUCKER GAME**

Hint: it is from the range of 21:11 to 22:00 on the video

Looks like I will be popping off my clutch cover today once again! Hopefully that gasket is still moist so I don't lose it when I get the cover off. Oh well...never claimed to one of the sharp tools in the shed!

Talk about karma though...I caught this mistake when I was editing this video to put on youtube. I probably wouldn't have caught this until I went to fire it up.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Well I got the cluth buttoned up again! Damn near had a heat attack though...get this...just from the bike not having the wavy washer on for ONE day (keep in mind the only movement for that bike is about 30 feet backwards and then forwards from the shed) that pin was able to work itself loose enough to where the starter wheel lost it's alignment. I put the wavy washer back, not paying attention as it just slipped on, and then went to put the cover back on and nothing was lining up...

I then ran and grabbed the camera...I figured if it was a learning experience for me, then someone else might want to see it. Humble pie ala mode today! Video coming shortly...

Kiwi

Two Stroke
Hey thanks for doing these videos. I've just watched the valve check and cam cover problem ones. Once you've replaced your shims and put the video up I'll go and check mine too.

I've attached some pics that may answer your questions about the changes Triumph made to the cam cover weeping issue. I took these when I swapped my black cover for a chrome one. The old parts are off a 2009 bike and the new parts were bought at the end of 2011.

Pic 1 is the old gasket
Pic 2 is the new gasket - note 3 ridges instead of 2
Pic 3 The old bolt is at the bottom and the new bolt at the top - note the longer shoulder to put more pressure on the cover when tightening it up.
Pic 4 & 5 Both side of the new washers that came with the kit. I didn't take any pics of the old ones for some reason.

Again, thanks for the vids, keep it up, and I hope the pics are of some help.

Attachments

• P1010567a.JPG
    P1010567a.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010568a.JPG
    P1010568a.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010570a.JPG
    P1010570a.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010573a.JPG
    P1010573a.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010574a.JPG
    P1010574a.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 1

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Hey Kiwi...this is freaking awesome! Do you mind if I steal these photos from you and incorporate them into a follow up video I am doing about this issue. Thanks for sharing this!:cheers:

Kiwi

Two Stroke
Hey Kiwi...this is freaking awesome! Do you mind if I steal these photos from you and incorporate them into a follow up video I am doing about this issue. Thanks for sharing this!:cheers:
Go for it. I'm happy to help, that's one of the great things with this site - all the information sharing that goes on.

klem

Scooter
Top learning this stuff mechanics is completely foreign to me and getting a first hand visual helps to get the mind around these jobs. Also the need to be careful and correct in the way things are done.
Well done guys.
Cheers K Kadiddlehoppa

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Hey thanks for doing these videos. I've just watched the valve check and cam cover problem ones. Once you've replaced your shims and put the video up I'll go and check mine too.

I've attached some pics that may answer your questions about the changes Triumph made to the cam cover weeping issue. I took these when I swapped my black cover for a chrome one. The old parts are off a 2009 bike and the new parts were bought at the end of 2011.

Pic 1 is the old gasket
Pic 2 is the new gasket - note 3 ridges instead of 2
Pic 3 The old bolt is at the bottom and the new bolt at the top - note the longer shoulder to put more pressure on the cover when tightening it up.
Pic 4 & 5 Both side of the new washers that came with the kit. I didn't take any pics of the old ones for some reason.

Again, thanks for the vids, keep it up, and I hope the pics are of some help.

Do you have a set of the washers in your shop? I am curious of the thickness of them and wondering if you could throw a measurement on them for me. The old washers are at 4.3mm.

Kiwi

Two Stroke
Do you have a set of the washers in your shop? I am curious of the thickness of them and wondering if you could throw a measurement on them for me. The old washers are at 4.3mm.
No, all I've got off the bike are the old ones. The new ones that came with the new cam cover are currently on the bike doing their job. I can only assume that I didn't photograph the old and new ones together because there was no change and they were both the same. I took the photo's at the time to show a mate, who has a carbed Thruxton, what the changes were. I remember I also measured the differences in the bolts and let him know, but this was around 16 months ago now and I don't have that info lying about anymore.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
No worries...thanks for checking. I have some of the new ones on order and will run a measurement to do a comparison. I am definitely curious now

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Here is the newest video on the starter drive. A good example how things can escalate if one thing is overlooked such as a simple thing like a wavy washer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSoWMJbxPWw

I think I would be investing in a 3x3 aluminium shed that you get in kit form and throw it up. I buy second hand ones for about $80 to store parts, one is set up as a painting shed but that size would be just enough to work on your bike and include a bench and the beauty of it is you can off load them quickly, plus if you dont want to put down cement just use the plywood. The videos are appreciated by many members but when I went to do my clutches I thought about doing it and realised it distracted me too much from my concentration and if I fucked anything up was anybody else going to chip in for the repairs? I think I would be just doing the job and maybe just doing a summary of any possible problems that may occur or hints on what to do to make something easier. Sorry about all the "I think quotes!!"

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Here is the newest video on the starter drive. A good example how things can escalate if one thing is overlooked such as a simple thing like a wavy washer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSoWMJbxPWw

When putting covers and gaskets on always when possible (a straight line fit use guide pins, go to a bolt shop and buy some bolts the same size and thread pitch as the cover bolts but about 6-8 inches in length, the length can be cut if needed and cut the heads off grinding on a slight taper, insert these and they will help hold on the gasket and guide the cover on and also put a bit of thin adhesive durex / cellophane tape around your shifter spline and plenty of rubber grease as this will help prevent from damaging the seal.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I have the allowable limit on the shed situation. The other one is for snow blower and mowers. The base will not allow anymore in a backyard and pouring a cement slab down was not allowed either. What you see is what I got for the next year. I like doing the videos and talking through it kind of helps. If it is a job I am not well versed in, then I will dry run it a couple of times which in the end makes me even more versed in the operation. I am not making these with the mindset of someone owing me something...just trying to hook some Bonnie riders up hopefully and have a little fun in the process.

That is a good process you mention with creating guide bolts by cutting off the bolt heads. I haven't had a problem with just using the four guide posts that are already provided and with a little touch of oil..she sticks just fine. I think what is key though is the ability to do a task several different ways and that is how all the "nifty" tricks and techniqes are shared so keep them coming! :cheers:

Last edited: