Bonnie's Facelift

Roger

Street Tracker
Finally got around to finishing the videos for valve clearances/shim replacement.

Hinckley Bonnie Shims Part 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtO3PJw4L3o

Thanks for all your vids B06 or should I say, Bonnie ville. Can you repost your worksheet. The link is not working any more.

This winter, I want to gather up all the bits to prep for next spring. That worksheet would be handy to have. Some of the things I am hoping to do are new tires, change to 2 into 1 exhaust, carb rework, engine maintenance and some paint work. My T100 has been leaking oil all summer long. Time to figure out where it's coming from.
Thanks

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Thanks for all your vids B06 or should I say, Bonnie ville. Can you repost your worksheet. The link is not working any more.

This winter, I want to gather up all the bits to prep for next spring. That worksheet would be handy to have. Some of the things I am hoping to do are new tires, change to 2 into 1 exhaust, carb rework, engine maintenance and some paint work. My T100 has been leaking oil all summer long. Time to figure out where it's coming from.
Thanks

You are welcome and glad that you find them useful. What is it that is leaking on your Bonnie? My mind first goes to the cam cover when I hear about that with these bikes. Fairly common but good news is that it is an easy fix. Here is the link to the worksheet that I put up in the description section of the video. Let me know if this doesn't work and I will send it to you personally. I am new using this skydrive thing and hopefully I'm not having problems with it.

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=6BCD6D0C1B52B77A&resid=6BCD6D0C1B52B77A!931&app=WordPdf

Roger

Street Tracker
What is it that is leaking on your Bonnie?

:woot: Thanks. That link works. Probably went screwy on the YouTube side during copy / paste.

I know it's not the valve cover. There is nothing on the cylinders or on top of the engine case. It is seepage that only shows on the very bottom. I'm not worried about it. It only made a mess on a patio slab I set up just to park the bike on. Like you, I don't have a garage and doing work on the bike outdoors is a challenge here because it always seems to be windy. Also, our temps here are between 0C and 15C this time of year, so, the weather is getting miserable. If the weather gets much cooler here, I think I will just prep the bike for winter and stuff it into the shed. Lots of room in there for the bike but really not enough room to jack it up and work on it.

koifarm

Hooligan
:woot: Thanks. That link works. Probably went screwy on the YouTube side during copy / paste.

I know it's not the valve cover. There is nothing on the cylinders or on top of the engine case. It is seepage that only shows on the very bottom. I'm not worried about it. It only made a mess on a patio slab I set up just to park the bike on. Like you, I don't have a garage and doing work on the bike outdoors is a challenge here because it always seems to be windy. Also, our temps here are between 0C and 15C this time of year, so, the weather is getting miserable. If the weather gets much cooler here, I think I will just prep the bike for winter and stuff it into the shed. Lots of room in there for the bike but really not enough room to jack it up and work on it.

The leak comes from the factory....since the recent re manufacture of the "classic" Bonnevilles, it is believed to add to the character of the machine, similar to those older Triumphs that constantly dripped, by simulating an oil leak....the leak is harmless and supplied by a small device similar to a chain oiler...difficult to spot but there non the less....you can find directions in the service manual on removing the device should you not be one of the old farts who grew up with leaky Bonnevilles and miss the leaking....:sidecar:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
The leak comes from the factory....since the recent re manufacture of the "classic" Bonnevilles, it is believed to add to the character of the machine, similar to those older Triumphs that constantly dripped, by simulating an oil leak....the leak is harmless and supplied by a small device similar to a chain oiler...difficult to spot but there non the less....you can find directions in the service manual on removing the device should you not be one of the old farts who grew up with leaky Bonnevilles and miss the leaking....:sidecar:

I have been informed from both Coventry & Meriden Triumph owners that their bikes never leaked and in fact it was the highly advanced "external lubrication" system that was hard at work :D

Roger

Street Tracker
This isn't a fix-it video...just a great ride I went on put to a good tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2aIvXvHWpI

Yes, this is a fix-it video that I should forward to the city roads department to show them what our roads should look like here in Edmonton. Our roads here are potholes on potholes, ripples and folds all over the place. Not many corners where you don't need to be looking ahead for a surprise hidden by bright sun or shade. Enough bitchin'......

Loved watching you rip through those narrow roads. Very little traffic you have to contend with. Looks like you cracked that throttle a few times too. Thanks for another ride vid B06.

Roger

Street Tracker
What is it that is leaking on your Bonnie?

All your responses to my leak problem have helped immensely. I will look at getting that 'external oiler' rebuilt. :pick:

Was out riding the other day and took a closer look at the bottom of the engine. Sump is okay, typical seepage around the gasket. Found the airbox drain tube, it's got some crusty buildup around the end but it's dry. Found a lot of grease / oil getting slung out from under the sprocket cover but that seems to be typical. That's not it. Looked at the alternator cover and both the pickup and the stator rubbers are weeping a lot. The bike is a 2003, so ten years on those rubber parts. I will look at it again over the winter and figure out what I can do to seal those up again.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Definitely could be a good time to take off your alternator cover on your next oil change. Check the gap on your coil and put in new rubber grommets if you need to. Your girl is ten years old now and probably could use the TLC a little bit. Also, I use 3Bond 1194 to help seat that rubber grommet where the coil runs through and that does a really good job.

As far as the gunk you are describing...do you use some kind of Teflon lube on your chain? I used this in the past and didn't like it because it acted as a glue to all the road scum that I rolled over. I finally dropped the ducks and bought a scottoiler system and hooking it up now. These work awesome and really keeps the life of your chain as well as keeping the other areas clean too. Might something to consider if that is the case with you as well

I'm glad you liked the riding video and yes...I was getting on the throttle just a little :D The riding over here really is great especially when you venture out and get away from the base and civilization. A lot of country up here in northern Japan and wide open riding. Too bad the season is so short because of the amount of snow this place gets.

Roger

Street Tracker
I will be pulling that alternator cover off to do the gap for sure and those rubbers are definitely leaking. The pickup gap is probably still factory but the bike has been running perfectly other than these crappy CVKs not wanting to start in the cold. Going to also yank the clutch cover and build up that starter idler shaft boss. I don't want that getting punched off by a misfire on starting the bike.

The sludge under the sprocket cover is probably from my liberal use of oil on the chain. The dealer suckered me into buying some shitty wax lube for the chain. For the wax to work, it has to be warm and in general, it's pretty cool here. The wax suspension never seemed to want to flow. I used it twice and now it sits on the shelf. I used to always use oil on my chains and never had problems. As for a Scottoiler, probably a very good idea but not my thing. I prefer getting in there and having a look around. The chain is one of the parts on the bike that sees a lot of stress.

Roger

Street Tracker
OH MY FREAKING GAWD! Those things are loud. @ 11:30 in the vid. No wonder you had the evil laugh going on. That was too funny.
I hope you were wearing ear plugs doing that. I have been looking at changing the horn on my bike too.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
OH MY FREAKING GAWD! Those things are loud. @ 11:30 in the vid. No wonder you had the evil laugh going on. That was too funny.
I hope you were wearing ear plugs doing that. I have been looking at changing the horn on my bike too.

I got smacked by a car a few years ago. Luckily I walked away from it but it totaled my bike so I guess I decided to go a liiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit over the top on the new horns :D

horns.....?? "Loud pipes save Lives !".....lmao...

Now I am going to have both!!! :playin::lol:

One of the neighbors from about four houses down came out of his house to check if everything was alright after I got done testing those mamma jammas! It was loud in the video but they are FUCKING loud live!!! If you listen in the video you will hear an echo that reverberated throughout the neighborhood :pick::c:woot::lol3:

strokerlmt

Hey BO......best to you your wife and boys. Have a great thanksgiving.

Btw thx for the info.......I gapped the stator put on a new gasket. Easy as can be.

Eat well........lmt

fender

Street Tracker
Great Video! Love Social D had a chance to see them live two years ago. They put on a great show.