"I wasn't gonna let him pass me"

wobblygong

Street Tracker

Chris, thanks for posting this link.
It's certainly attracted some comments on Youtube.
These incidents, like this one and the one posted by Sal, make you wish motorcyclists could be allowed to carry road spikes like the cops have. The rider who overtook the truck appeared to get far enough ahead of the truck that he could have rolled out the spikes, punctured all 4 tyres on the truck then ride off into the sunset, laughing like all fuck. No face to face confrontation with the driver, just the satisfaction that you've fucked up his day......a daydream I know but nice to think about.

cynr1023

TT Racer
Hypothetically speaking, could the first or second rider legally shot that guy, at the stop sign, after he pulled out the wrench/crowbar?

In the Army, we've got "Rules of Engagement" they're pretty specific to your theater of operations, but nothing ever prevents us from defending ourselves and our fellow Soldiers with deadly force if we feel it is justified and can prove that we felt that way. I can legally go from telling a guy to stop to firing killing shots at him because something made me nervous about his behavior.

Should the first rider have just taken off and attempted to "get away" from the nut-job in the truck. What responsibility does the lead rider have to the trail guy? Should riders consider having a contingency plan if something like this were to happen? Similar to larger group riders with trail vehicles, who stops to assist fellow riders and such. essentially, "so if some jack-ass attempts to run one us off the road, we'll get away from him as quickly and safely as possible and meet up or call each other to verify location and safety."

Truthfully I was concerned that the truck driver was going to slam on the brakes, it looked like the guy behind him was pretty close. I was thinking "if I was going to be that much of a douche, I'd have slammed on the brakes and taken out the rear guy then tagged the other jackass when he got to the stop sign" Then again, it didn't appear that he had all that much going on between the ears anyway.

Last edited:
Hypothetically speaking, could the first or second rider legally shot that guy, at the stop sign, after he pulled out the wrench/crowbar?

In Texas, the answer is most likely yes. Deadly force warrants deadly force. If someone comes at me with a deadly weapon (a crowbar, piece of pipe, gun, etc) I am justified in eliminating the threat.

That's what I remember from my CHL class anyway. If he'd ran me off the damn road like that, pulled a pipe/crowbar out threateningly, and walked towards me I do believe I'd eliminate his ass post-haste.

Last edited:

JRMSR

Scooter
That's what I always loved about liven in Texas. Short, sweet and straight to the point. Don't want no crap, don't dont give no crap! Pretty simple.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

Mahart

Two Stroke
In Texas, the answer is most likely yes. Deadly force warrants deadly force. If someone comes at me with a deadly weapon (a crowbar, piece of pipe, gun, etc) I am justified in eliminated the threat.

A vehicle can also be considered a weapon. I seem to recall a story from a few years ago about a woman that ran someone off the road. They came up to the door of her vehicle to confront her shitty driving. She felt threatened so she shot them. Legally she was cleared.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Unfortunately, at the instant you need help most, your only defense will be to run. Unless you can shoot from a moving motorcycle. I say this because it happened to me one time. Once your first instinct to twist the throttle puts you out in front, then you have no other option but ride for your life. I suppose if you got far enough ahead you could pull over and wait for the guy. But waiting for someone on the side of the road and self defense sounds like a contradiction to me.

I think if you can pull in some where , a police station or a truck stop, thats your best move. Then you can get help or defend yourself. If you are out in a rural area like these guys, speed and evasion are your only defense.

Last edited:

JRMSR

Scooter
Well as per Concealed Handgun Laws you can't engage in running battles. I suppose this would also mean in automobiles or in or on any mode transportation.

Cheers
Jeff :motorbike2:

RoyNC

Street Tracker
In Texas, the answer is most likely yes. Deadly force warrants deadly force. If someone comes at me with a deadly weapon (a crowbar, piece of pipe, gun, etc) I am justified in eliminating the threat.

That's what I remember from my CHL class anyway. If he'd ran me off the damn road like that, pulled a pipe/crowbar out threateningly, and walked towards me I do believe I'd eliminate his ass post-haste.

+1 Same here in NC.