Bonnie's Facelift

Kiwi

Two Stroke
When's part 2 of fitting the new valve shims coming? :popcorn: :D I assume you're waiting for parts to arrive?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
When's part 2 of fitting the new valve shims coming? :popcorn: :D I assume you're waiting for parts to arrive?

I finally got the parts in that freaking took forever but in the meantime I had to get the bike on the road as I need it for second transportation. We sold our car because we are up in the air if we are leaving Japan in a few months or a year from now so I can't really buy a car right now. Long story...I have the parts but had to put fresh amsoil in the old girl. I have three valves that are out by .02 so I am running her on this oil and will do the valves in time with the oil change. This shit costs me too much over here and takes too long to get stuff just to waste the oil but I promise...that actual shim replacement video is on the way! :D

Kiwi

Two Stroke
I can understand the need to get the bike back together and go for a ride. It's frustrating having it in bits when there's riding weather out there which is why I saved my jobs for winter. Today I made the stepped pin that holds the sprung gear on the camshaft together when you remove the camshaft. So I'm good to go if I need to replace the shims. I had a chat to the mechanic at the local Triumph dealer this week too - they have the various shims in stock and will exchange for my existing ones if I need to change them, which I thought was pretty good of them. I've only done 1000km on the oil that's in there now, so I'll drop it out check/replace the shims, and then put it back in again.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I'm not sure what dealers you have close to you but I know for a fact that our shims are exactly the same for the 1979-1983 Honda CB750. That was a lifesaver for me as Honda dealers are a dime a dozen over here...go figure right...:D

Is this your 12,000 mile clearance check?

Kiwi

Two Stroke
The Triumph dealer that I bought the bike from is within walking distance from work, they also do MV Agusta. There's also a Honda/Ducati dealer a bit closer, and a Harley dealer, although the Harley dealer is more of Harley clothing shop with some bikes in there too - I suspect all Harley dealers are like that though :D

Yep, 12,000 mile (20,000km) service. The bike's done 22000km, so near enough.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I would bet a Guinness that your valves will be fine but you never know and good to run the checks per the manual. I bet you will be fine though and won't need to replace shims

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Valve Clearance Worksheet

I will be doing the shims for the creamsicle if the rain ever lets up and will finish up on part 2 of the valve clearance video. I found a pretty good worksheet to keep things organized and thought I would share it with everyone here. I taylored the worksheet to my liking and here is a breakdown on the logic to my madness:

#1. The valves are labeled in the same exact order as how I demonstrated them on my valve clearance video. If you haven't taken a peak at that video then do so and it will make perfect sense.

#2. You will see a small box on inlet and exhaust line on left side of the page that is labeled - "Clearance, Medium, & Existing"...

Clearance are you valve clearance measurements you got by running the shims on each one

Medium is the difference you split so inlet will be 17.5 & exhaust will be 27.5

Existing is the measurement of the shim already in your bike

These identifications follow the equation of A=(B-C)+d - Simply subtract the clearance from the medium and then add to the existing and you will have A...what you have to order. I made this so that you can write down each number in the corresponding valve number, get your number and then use that number to put it in the "Shims to order" box. This way each shim measurement stays organized and you are not wondering if your new shim in hand was for Inlet 1 or Inlet 3...:fight2::cheers:

Let me know if you have any comments on the worksheet and I hope you guys find it useful!!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Thanks guys...I plan on finishing off the shim video along with reverse bleeding my brakes IF the weather plays nice this weekend (we're in the rainy season right now). Have I ever mentioned how much I want a damn garage??!!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Thank you LMT...making these video have helped to keep me busy through these times and is something I am going to keep on doing. I'm glad you guys can get something out of it