Babysitting some hairy misfits

Bonafide

NBR founder
We have an additional couple 'kids' at the house for a week or two. Told a friend I'd do some testing and build up training for him on the pups. These are Dutch Shepherds ... or Dutch Malinois. To me they're Belgium Malinois with a brindle coat - but our Police K9 world label them as a Dutch Shepherd aka Dutchie. Not seen much here in the US. I've tried to remember ever seeing one that was not a Police K9 and I'm having a hard time thinking of someone just buying one as a pet. To say they're "revvved up" would be an understatement. Typical 'Mal-a-gators' ... they've already ripped two shirts of mine and we've only had them here for 2 days. It's extremely hard to photograph them ... as they never stand still for more than a second.

psst: if you're interested in owning one, PM me - they are for sale. I'll put you in touch with the owner - who does ship dogs back/forth cross country quite often.

Attachments

• dutch_1.jpg
    dutch_1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 0
cool looking dogs Dude.

Question: how do you keep a revved-up dog from tearing shit up? My 8 mo old Airedale is a destructive fucker. I try to wear his ass out everyday by walking or playing fetch but he still wrecks the house. He mostly knocks stuff off the countertops and chews it up.

ps: I weighed him at Petsmart last weekend and he's up to 75lbs!

T-boy

Rocker
Bonafide: Those "Dutchies" are pretty weird looking...kinda cool, though. Definitely have a mischievous, we're badasses look about them.

Sweat: It takes some dogs 1 1/2 to 2 years to outgrow that destructive shit. You might have to wait him out...or cage his ass while no one is home. Maybe you could teach him a lesson by chewing up some of his favorite toys.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Question: how do you keep a revved-up dog from tearing shit up? My 8 mo old Airedale is a destructive fucker. I try to wear his ass out everyday by walking or playing fetch but he still wrecks the house. He mostly knocks stuff off the countertops and chews it up.

When is he knocking stuff off the counter and chewing it? When you're there or when you're gone? Where is the dog during the day when you're not around? Is he allowed to roam free and that gives him the power to do what he wants when he wants? If so, kennel his ass in a crate - kinda hard for them to tear shit up if they're not allowed access. If the dog is tearing shit up while you're standing there watching him? That's your fault for not correcting him in a reasonable manner that shows he's doing something 'right now' that's not allowed. If he doesnt stop .. roll him - alpha roll - cause he doesnt think you're in charge.

I assume you just let the dog be a dog? If so - I cant fix the problem. The problem is you.

Bonafide

NBR founder
A video of a grown working Dutch ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16q8pAnVPKY

Here's what they'll look like when grown ...

index.8.jpg

dutchShepherd25nov2004048.JPG

D9

Vendor
Looking at that video... pretty intense... would a fully trained dog release the suspect at the handler's command, or would the handler have to physically remove the dog from the suspect? Say the suspect is down... does the dog stop and assume some kind of guarding stance or hang on?

Bonafide

NBR founder
Seth - most of the time - it's a Handler's personal decision - but some agencies do have policies that say, 'you will do it this way or that'. You have consider the factors - Is it safe for the handler to go and in remove the dog (called a choke off) or should he keep a safe distance and call the dog off the bite? ... then should the dog either go into RF (reasonable force) guarding the suspect or return to the handler. A popular technique is called a Bark/Hold. If you stand still - the dog will sit at your feet and bark in your face. If you move ... you get bit.

My certification requires showing I can call my dog 'out' off the bite on 3 scenarios and without re-biting. On the street - I rarely call the dog to out the bite. Reason? Suspect will ALWAYS do something incredibly stupid as the dog lets go - inciting the dog to re-bite (causing more damage). It lowers the chance that the dog will release the suspect - and then bite a LEO as he goes in to handcuff the suspect. It lets the dog think - no matter what - he won this fight.

jphickory

Banned
Sweat -
13 years ago a puppy named Shane moved in with me. He is a Gordon Setter (Springset variety) bird dog. At the time I was living in a small mobile home and single. This dog was bred to hunt birds along side men on horses. He was dripping with desire and energy; his entire body would tremble at the sight of a bird. He was a terrible roomate in the beginning - he chewed up the stock of my prized dbl barrel shotgun, chewed several fishing rods in half, shredded magazines, dump trash etc.. I thought it would never end and I wondered silently if I had made a big mistake. I tried my best to stop his bad behavior but to no avail. I am pretty goods with dogs but this one had me flustered.
Now he is 13 years old and I look at him and marvel about how things have changed. At about 18 months the indoor antics pretty much ended. He became the best hunting partner I have ever had. His early pattern of mischief was simply a misdirected extension of his work ethic and desire to be hunting. The lesson is to be patient, firm and consistent in your correction of him. Eventually it all comes together and it makes you a better person for having stuck out when times were rough. Good luck - from your previous posts I can tell your heart is in it.

Hedge

American Infidel
When is he knocking stuff off the counter and chewing it? When you're there or when you're gone? Where is the dog during the day when you're not around? Is he allowed to roam free and that gives him the power to do what he wants when he wants? If so, kennel his ass in a crate - kinda hard for them to tear shit up if they're not allowed access. If the dog is tearing shit up while you're standing there watching him? That's your fault for not correcting him in a reasonable manner that shows he's doing something 'right now' that's not allowed. If he doesnt stop .. roll him - alpha roll - cause he doesnt think you're in charge.

I assume you just let the dog be a dog? If so - I cant fix the problem. The problem is you.

The Dude is correct here! Crating a dog is not cruel, as a mater of fact they like it if it is not an unreasonable amount of time. Cyrus's is in his crate at night, he freely walks right into it when I snap off all the lights at 11pm every night. His Crate is the largest one made and it is in my office which is directly across from our bedroom. So he can look out of the front door and see our bedroom with the door open and hear us sleeping (or snoring) whatever! :). At 6am I get up and get dressed and take him out of the crate and into the backyard which is now fenced off. He "Gets Busy" real quick because he then knows he will hear "Breakfast Time" and he bullets for the back door! I feed him a half log of Bravo raw food which is 1lb and add in some grated carrots and a squirt of Alaskan Salmon oil. Sometimes I give him a fresh cracked egg with shell and all and sometimes I give him a scoop of low fat cottage cheese. Then it is time for the dog park. WE pile into the SUV and go on a 2 mile walk every morning on some deep woods trails where at the end we are in an open field and I rotate fetch on alternate days between a squeaky ball and a 2.5 lbs dumbbell. he then goes home, has a nice drink of clean water and back into the crate while m wife and I go to work. My wife works 5 min from home so she goes home every day and lets him out for an hour at lunchtime for a romp around the backyard and his daily vitamin and then back in the crate until 4pmish when she returns home from work. She plays with him and feeds him dinner. I get home around 6pmish and take over all night duties with him until it is bed time. We go for a few night time Ninja walks and always end up on the front porch with him sitting down between my legs and looking at into the night just listening while I massage his neck! Not a bad life at all if you ask me! :)
He now has his stitches out from crashing through the plate glass window and the "Cone of Humiliation" is now off! He is now 5 months old and just over 50lbs and a real good dog! His paperwork finally came in from Germany and it turns out that he is the Grandson of Tom van't Leefdaalhof, a world famous Schutzhund SchH 3 and that his entire bloodline is SchH 3 so he has a pretty decent gene pool swimming inside him!
Cyrus-20091115-5monthsold-03.jpg

Cyrus-20091115-5monthsold-01.jpg

The first thing he wanted to do after the cone came off was go for a walk -
Timeformywalkplease.jpg

A quick shout-out to my brother's dog Felina who is a breeder for "The Guiding Eyes for the Blind"
Felina-20091115-02.jpg

A little background info: The first few months after I got the pup I was unemployed, so I was with him pretty much all day every day. I started my new job about 5 weeks ago and that's when he started acting up. He's ok while I'm home but when he's left alone during the day he tears shit up. I built a little fence to keep him penned up in the kitchen. I'm gone varying hours during the day, could be 2-3 hours or it could be 14 hours. I don't want to have him in a crate for that long.

If he does something wrong in front of me he gets disciplined.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
All these amazing dogs in this forum. I'm not surprised though. As you know I have a couple of small ones in my household. I guess I'm in favor of lap dogs. My latest one was bailed out of doggie prison. Glad I did it even if she's cost me a ton of buckage to get her healthy.

The distressing thing for me is that when I got her there was this one dog in there that was a retriever type, pink nose, floppy ears, red & white coat and sooo friendly. It's always haunted me, because I don't know the fate of that dog. I hope the right person was able to adopt that particular dog.

My delinquent..Maximus
P1000441.jpg

My year long project..Kiddo..(she's a bit better looking now)
baldkiddo6-9.jpg

Hedge

American Infidel
A little background info: The first few months after I got the pup I was unemployed, so I was with him pretty much all day every day. I started my new job about 5 weeks ago and that's when he started acting up. He's ok while I'm home but when he's left alone during the day he tears shit up. I built a little fence to keep him penned up in the kitchen. I'm gone varying hours during the day, could be 2-3 hours or it could be 14 hours. I don't want to have him in a crate for that long.

If he does something wrong in front of me he gets disciplined.
That's a tough situation Jeff - he has gone from being with you all the time to seeing you at different times. He is not very happy about this! They hate schedule changes and often this leads to frustration with the dog. The frustration can manifest itself in many different forms. Destroying shit is one of them, if you had a back yard and left him out there I bet he would be a Vietnamese tunnel digger like my dog is, he could get over excited when you return and pee on the floor or bite you playfully but too much, he could chase his tail compulsively like my dog does until he is so tired he collapse and goes to sleep. At least he is not eating his own shit! I heard of many dogs that will do that.:eeek:

Bonafide

NBR founder
I'm gone varying hours during the day, could be 2-3 hours or it could be 14 hours. I don't want to have him in a crate for that long.

Why? Cause you think he'd be suffering? Ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as Hedge feeding his dog all that gourmet breakfast stuff - but still ridiculous. I figured you were the dog's problem ... cant fix you.

BTW - your dog is suffering from separation anxiety. Acting out due to the stress of you leaving without him. You created it and allowed it to build into a fester.

:shrug:

Hedge

American Infidel
Why? Cause you think he'd be suffering? Ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as Hedge feeding his dog all that gourmet breakfast stuff - but still ridiculous. I figured you were the dog's problem ... cant fix you.

BTW - your dog is suffering from separation anxiety. Acting out due to the stress of you leaving without him. You created it and allowed it to build into a fester.

:shrug:
The Dude is 100% correct again! Your dog is pissed off at you!