Punctures

Anyone got ideas on how to fix punctures out on the road? Given the inner tube the usual repair kits won't work.

You have to pull the wheel/tire, pull the tube, and either patch it or replace it. There's really no getting around it.

Or, you can do like I did and replace the spoked wheels with mags and carry a patch kit and air pump! :D

daleCarlsbad

Scooter
I am packing Slime and CO2 cartridges. It that does not get me to a shop, I have the cell phone with a motorcycle towing guy as back up.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I was out riding with a friend (on a Cross bones) and he got a rear flat. We tried to fill it with a tire repair and inflator. We actually happen to have two cans. Both cans failed. We needed to get a truck and bring it home.

Oxblood

750cc
I use AAA for roadside punctures :D, tried the slime once along time ago to no avail at 3am on a buddies bike in a seedy neighborhood in Vegas.

drlapo

Hooligan
I was out riding with a friend (on a Cross bones) and he got a rear flat. We tried to fill it with a tire repair and inflator. We actually happen to have two cans. Both cans failed. We needed to get a truck and bring it home.

what's a "cross bones"?
does it have tubeless tires?

em_dot

Street Tracker
My temporary solution is to carry a AAA card and a cell phone. The thing with AAA is that you have to upgrade to an RV membership to cover both your bike AND car. Regular AAA membership covers your car only. It's pretty inexpensive. I think it was $14.00 more per year.

I'm still batting the whole Alpina STS thing around as a tubeless solution. It's expensive, but I'd like to try it. I can lace 3x bicycle wheels in my sleep, but I don't know how to tention and true anything bigger. I may call the Ducati dealership this winter and see if they'll do it... or I may just change my mind...

My suspension is just about done with Intimidators installed and Progressive 440s on the way. Brake upgrades are next this fall. Then wheels and tires this winter.

The question is am I going to need a 12 step program to stop the modifications...

em_dot

Street Tracker
A mudflap on your front mudguard stops 95% of all rear flats.

Not sure the exact percentage is all that important if it's an effective method of preventing flats. I've read this in more than one place. If memory servers me, it's a motorcycle courier trick is it not?

Got pics of a tidy application on a Bonnie PieMan? How long should the mudflap be?

drlapo

Hooligan
I 've had a front mudfllap (and rear) on my T140 for 30 years and never had a flat
so it works 100% of the time, so far

What's A "cross Bones"????

Harley's relatively new fake old bike, a variation on the springer softail:

34850643.jpg

em_dot

Street Tracker
Harley's relatively new fake old bike, a variation on the springer softail:

Damn, I was just about to say something similar.

I 've had a front mudfllap (and rear) on my T140 for 30 years and never had a flat so it works 100% of the time, so far

Hey Doc, would you please post a pic? Because in my mind's eye I'm seeing a lot of fringe, and that's not going on my Bonnie.

Damn, I was just about to say something similar.

HA! I beat ya!

No matter how much I want to hate the Crossbones (I'm NOT a Harley Basher, I just don't care for most of the people that ride them slowly in front of me in the twisties with their doo-rags on) I've sat on the bike a few times and it's really comfy with the big sprung-saddle, floorboards, and mini-apes. I'm sure it handles like a slow pig, but I could see cruising around on one, if it didn't cost like 3 bonnies!

koifarm

Hooligan
Toe the line

I've got AMA membership with free MO-Tow for my bike, car, wife's car all for the price of membership....hard to beat that deal. Think I'll try the mudflap thing though, I've got some old asphalt roofing shingles around...hmmmmmm or maybe an old floormat...yah....that's the ticket....:bug::lol: