Babysitting some hairy misfits

Hedge

American Infidel
Ok another issue: I have the 8 mo. old guy and also the 8 year old female. She doesn't tear anything up and is very well-behaved. One thing that freaks both of them out is to separate them (one outside, one inside, etc). I don't know how well the 8 year old would take to crating, but I definitely couldn't crate one and not the other. If I do this, I'll need some good-sized crates. The pup weighs 75 lbs and the 8 year old female is slightly smaller, probably 65 lbs.

Thoughts on crating an 8 year old dog that doesn't really need it, and has never been crated?
The Skycrate I got was only bought because I saw a K-9 living in it. His name is Agent and he is easily a 100lbs. When I walked into the lady's home I had no idea that the dog was even there. I asked her where is Agent and she said right behind me. I turned around and there was this monster crate and Agent was just siting straight up on his haunches looking directly at me and watching my every move without so much a a chirp! That's when my wife and I knew that that was the crate for Cyrus so we shot the lock off the wallet and spent the $259 and in hindsight we did not waste a single penny!

The crate the Dude is talking about looks great and I'm going to fully research it today.

Bonafide

NBR founder
The crate the Dude is talking about looks great and I'm going to fully research it today.

Like I said ... it's pricey - like 3 times the cost of your skycrate. I dont kennel my partner when I'm out of town (he stays with me 24/7) and I travel to K9 seminars several times a year as well - having a crate this size, that's aluminum, and collapsible .. even though it's still a luxury item - it was a must have for me. If you're truly interested, I'd say call down there and speak with Jennifer Hoover or Laura Albritton. 1-800-277-0869 / 1-850-584-3969

Hedge

American Infidel
Like I said ... it's pricey - like 3 times the cost of your skycrate. I dont kennel my partner when I'm out of town (he stays with me 24/7) and I travel to K9 seminars several times a year as well - having a crate this size, that's aluminum, and collapsible .. even though it's still a luxury item - it was a must have for me. If you're truly interested, I'd say call down there and speak with Jennifer Hoover or Laura Albritton. 1-800-277-0869 / 1-850-584-3969
3 x $259? I'm gonna pass! I just committed $490 on 6 cases of 2lb logs (90 of them which is divided by 2) of Bravo raw dog food which I'll pick up Saturday and store away in my basement freezer. That should last . . . uh well, 90 days exactly! Yes - Cyrus eats 2lbs a day; half a log in the morning & the other half in the evening! I have never seen a dog polish off 1lb of raw dog food mixed with shredded carrots, a scoop of cottage cheese, 1 cracked fresh egg with shell and 1 squirt of Alaskan King Salmon oil in less than 1 minute! Chomp, Chomp, Chomp Chomp - Gone! I'll shoot a video in real time of this over the weekend!Wait until you see his face when he is done and looks up! :)
http://www.bravorawdiet.com/index.html

Bonafide

NBR founder
Ya know Hedge, it's a Dog ... and the pet store will have this stuff called, "Dog Food" that comes in a bag. 40lbs of it is $35 for the premium stuff. All you'll need to do is provide him with two to four scoops a day to meet ALL of his daily nutritional requirements. Carrots? Cottage cheese? Atlantic Salmon oil? Because Pacific Gulf Coast Salmon oil is so Miniature Schnauzer. Do you two get dressed up together in matching outfits and pose for Olan Mills pictures too? No wait ... you get him professional massages, pedicures, facials, hot oil treatments, and he's already scheduled for a doggy summer camp in 2010 ...

Hedge, I feed my pup a 20oz size glass full of Purina One twice a day and he eats that shit faster than I could suck it up with my shop vac. If I say his name while he's eating he'll fling a mouthful of it across the floor!

Hedge

American Infidel
Hedge, I feed my pup a 20oz size glass full of Purina One twice a day and he eats that shit faster than I could suck it up with my shop vac. If I say his name while he's eating he'll fling a mouthful of it across the floor!
Jeff - I think we need video of this experience. I'm gonna make one this weekend. I'm gonna have my wife video the whole thing from while he is watching me prepare his meal, to when I have him sit down and wait while I place the bowl on the floor, then i make him pause for 3 seconds while it sits there and then I say OK and he charges it! It should be quite funny!

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Even my small dogs eat only dry food, plus a bite or two of my dinner. It helps keep teeth in their heads and the poop on the other end is a snap to pick up.

T-boy

Rocker
Dude...you and I are on the same page here regarding caging & dog food. Both my dogs get 2 scoops of dry dog food a day and every now and then a table scrap (not at the table, though). Our vet always remarks at the great shape they are in despite their advanced years. Dogs seem to adapt to pretty much anything you can throw at them given some time, repetition, and discipline.

Carnation

Street Tracker
I feed Orijen to my dogs. It's a dry food made from meat, fruit and veg. There is no wheat or grain in it, which dogs digest badly. this food was recommended to us by other Bedlington Terrier owners. It's not easy to come by in the UK, although there are a couple of retailers.

Since I started this the 13 year old has a much better coat - he has regrown hair on his previously bald ass - and his digestion is vastly improved. When we got him 2 years ago he was about to be put down suffering from chronic liver disease. Now he runs around like a puppy.

The 8 year old also has improved coat and this stuff never makes him puke, which alot of other foods do especially chicken meat.

They both love a bit of fish if we have it for dinner.

Last edited:

Charro

Scooter
Dude, nice Dutchies. We have two in our unit right now. They have been great dogs with many apprehnsions.

Im a GSD man and got this bad boy back in July.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTJk-EtT07A

Have been slowly transfering him from sport to police work. Looks like he is a keeper so far. PS that not me in the video that the former owner in Gemany.

Andy

DIRK

750cc
i feed my rug rats bil jack low fat. mix in a few canned green beans and carrots as a filler. they are mostly trim and think they are gods

KingBear

Hooligan
A retired pet food salesman told me any good name brand or store brand pet food far exceeds the nutritional requirements of your dog, so don't buy into the hype. Also, animals do not naturally crave variety like humans do, they like to get the food they are used to.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Dude, nice Dutchies. We have two in our unit right now. They have been great dogs with many apprehnsions.

Im a GSD man and got this bad boy back in July.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTJk-EtT07A

Have been slowly transfering him from sport to police work. Looks like he is a keeper so far. PS that not me in the video that the former owner in Gemany.

Andy

Very cool Andy ... did you miss my earlier thread about a of K9 Training? Here's my current partner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOQnWpmPDfk

Charro

Scooter
Dude, looks like you got yourself a good one. Arek is my 5th GSD pardner in the last 20 years, hope to retire with him under my belt.

What are the odds of two Triumph nuts being K9 handlers. Small world at both ends huh?

Andy

Bonafide

NBR founder
What are the odds of two Triumph nuts being K9 handlers. Small world at both ends huh?

Andy

For real - I wouldnt a thunk it ...

BTW, Bady is my 3rd partner. Had a Lab (narcotics), single purpose GSD (narcotics), and this guy.