yeah ... a bit of progress on my CB750

Bonneville09er

Street Tracker
yup .. from 1982 thru 1993 Ford produced a Special Service Pkg Mustang. There's still departments today using the new Mustangs and even the Camaro as pursuit/traffic units.

042_2.jpg

police_mustang.jpg

very cool

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Dude,
In the late 70's, Chrysler produced this 2 door coupe and badged it as a Valiant Charger.
800px-Valiantcharger.jpg

It was fitted with a Hemi 6 motor (same engine used in the later Jeep Cherokee), a 4 speed manual transmission and a slippery diff. Everything else, suspension etc was pretty much straight off the family sedan.
The New South Wales Police Dept. put them into service as "high speed pursuit" vehicles in what was previously call the Special Traffic Patrol STP and become known in late 70's as the Highway Patrol.
The car was a DOG. Would not handle. Underpowered to buggery and extremely light in the rear.
This link shows what the NSW Police are using now.

http://www.nswpolicevehicles.fotopic.net/

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Dude,
That Charger looks awsome!! AND it has 4 doors.
We found 2 doors extremely awkward when trying to inject a violent offender into the vehicle. :fight:
No OC spray or Tazers in the 70's or 80's....just bullshit and good luck!

A bit off topic I know, but why the beefy front end bars?

Here, we call them Bull Bars to protect the front end from impact with Kangaroos etc.

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
A bit off topic I know, but why the beefy front end bars?

Here, we call them Bull Bars to protect the front end from impact with Kangaroos etc.

We call them push bars. The center bars are for pushing cars off the roadway - ya know, clear the road so it wont jam the roads up worse. The side bars are optional and are usually used as a dual purpose - deflecting deer and imposing a PIT maneuver without causing serious damage to the patrol unit.

Bonafide

NBR founder
ok ... so here's why I sold the CB ... and my 93 Mustang coupe (police car).

Attachments

• 1968_GT_feb22_2010.jpg
    1968_GT_feb22_2010.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 0

Bonafide

NBR founder
yeah, it's a 302 .. nothing fancy. 4V carb, headers, dress up kit.

Story I got, the car was restored by a guy who spent 7 yrs on it, but died before he had a chance to enjoy it. It had 0 miles on the restoration. It looks like a brand new car, but has a couple short comings that need to be addressed; Note the Goodyear Eagle STs .. they dont make them any more .. and these are flat spotted to hell - which made the 100 something mile ride home enjoyable. ;)

Speedo clicks ... and the brake pedal goes DEEP towards the floor, but the brakes do work great.

Attachments

• 68_engine_2010.jpg
    68_engine_2010.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 68_interior_2010.jpg
    68_interior_2010.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
nice car Dude. A buddy of mine had a '68 GT fastback in high school. Built 302, 4 spd, posi, original interior and paint (in great shape too), but he sold it because he wanted an RX7. I STILL give him shit for that.

Bonafide

NBR founder
One last shot from last night when I brought it home. The 17 yr old Goodyear Eagle STs that had never been driven on were replaced today with some BFGs. The STs had NO dryrot .. but they werent round - more octagon in shape from the flat spots of sitting for so long.

Weather has turned crappy again ... so I'll get some more pictures when it turns spring time.

Attachments

• feb2010_68.jpg
    feb2010_68.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0

Bonafide

NBR founder
did the tires fix the handling?

Some of it ... the steering wheel still has some slop/play/loose. I'm betting it's going to need a new rack. Power steering is great for a parking lot - but sucks at speed .. and it's a Ford - so it has a leak. I did get to inspect the entire front end while it was up on the lift at the tire shop. Appears the front sway bar hardware is old and worn and the shocks are pretty old - bushing at mounts are cracked/worn in them too. All getting replaced.

bdavanza

Street Tracker
Can modern progressive power steering be adapted, you know where it assists at slow speeds but feels stiffer at 20+ mph? Well I'm sure a new urethane bushing kit will do wonders regardless.