yeah ... a bit of progress on my CB750

Bonafide

NBR founder
Can modern progressive power steering be adapted, you know where it assists at slow speeds but feels stiffer at 20+ mph? Well I'm sure a new urethane bushing kit will do wonders regardless.

Yeah ... they have some new fancy dancy rack/pinions on the market these days, but I'm not going to spend the $2,000 on it. :) - it aint that important to me.

Rich

moped
Some of it ... the steering wheel still has some slop/play/loose. I'm betting it's going to need a new rack. Power steering is great for a parking lot - but sucks at speed .. and it's a Ford - so it has a leak. I did get to inspect the entire front end while it was up on the lift at the tire shop. Appears the front sway bar hardware is old and worn and the shocks are pretty old - bushing at mounts are cracked/worn in them too. All getting replaced.

Your car doesn't have a rack, it has a steering box, and a hydraulic cylinder for power assist. Check your inner and outer tie rod ends. Look at the idler arm, and bracket. Check for cracks in the shock towers, check the strut rod bushings, etc. You'll find something that's not right, or a combination of a bunch of little things. Mustangs weren't built as road racers, the front end came from an econobox Falcon. That's not to say you can't make them handle well without spending bunches of bucks on a new aftermarket front end. I've done them both ways and a rebuilt, properly aligned stock frontend is plenty stable at speed with power assist. Unless you are going autocrossing, or road racing it won't be a problem.

As far as leaks go, it's almost always the power cylinder or the control valve, providing the fittings and hoses are good.

The cool thing about Mustangs is parts are readily available and cheap compared to other marks. If you do the work yourself you won't have 1500 bucks in a complete rebuild, from box to ball joints, and a modern alignment.

Have fun with your new toy.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Rich ....Guess I'm calling that large cylinder a rack? I've only had power steering on one previous 1st gen Mustang. The problem is looking like the steering box. I've tried to adjust the bolt - but it's not really helping - it has a big dead spot. Not as noticeable now with the new tires. The only other worn pieces in front are the sway bar bushing. Looks like everything else was replaced during the rebuild. The story I got was the PO died of cancer just as he was finishing the rebuild (7 yrs). It looks like the front end suspension is the only part of the car that was untouched - but not all of it. Shocks, sway bar bushings, steering box .. all need replacing or rebuilt.

This is my first 1st gen Mustang since 1999 or so, but not my first 1st gen Mustang. Just getting re-familiar with them. Lots more reproduction parts than before - which is nice. Here's a few others I've had thru the years.

Attachments

• 70mustang_91.jpg
    70mustang_91.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1967mustang_1989.jpg
    1967mustang_1989.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1969mustang _1990.jpg
    1969mustang _1990.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 0
  • my66mustang_1986.jpg
    my66mustang_1986.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 0
  • xmas_1987.jpg
    xmas_1987.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Rich ....Guess I'm calling that large cylinder a rack? I've only had power steering on one previous 1st gen Mustang. The problem is looking like the steering box. I've tried to adjust the bolt - but it's not really helping - it has a big dead spot. Not as noticeable now with the new tires. The only other worn pieces in front are the sway bar bushing. Looks like everything else was replaced during the rebuild. The story I got was the PO died of cancer just as he was finishing the rebuild (7 yrs). It looks like the front end suspension is the only part of the car that was untouched - but not all of it. Shocks, sway bar bushings, steering box .. all need replacing or rebuilt.

This is my first 1st gen Mustang since 1999 or so, but not my first 1st gen Mustang. Just getting re-familiar with them. Lots more reproduction parts than before - which is nice. Here's a few others I've had thru the years.
Cool car. Rich had good advice. The cylinder you reference is simply a hydraullic slave cylinder and not integrated into the steering box like recirculating ball power gearboxes were that came just after which preceded rack & pinion common today. If you tightened the bolt...the gear involute is graduated to make the box tighter on center....be careful not to over tighten it to compensate for other worn suspension pieces. This will wick the life out of what is left in the box. Sometimes a sloppy box...I said sloppy box ;) is mistaken for other worn pieces. The pitman arm can be worn...that is the tiller arm coming right off the box. The idler arm as well can be a culprit as well as Rich mentioned. Generally its a combination of things so you will have to sort through it. Here is a last tip and a good one. Wandering front ends are nothing new to older cars with worm and roller or recirculating ball steering boxes from old BMW's to Corvettes. Set the toe of the front suspension to keep some pre-load on old pieces. If the wheels are adjusted straight ahead the car will wander because the lash in the suspension pieces have no pre-load.
Have fun.

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
Well ... she's gone. Got a call this morning from the transport driver. Gave him an easy to get/out location, suited up, and rode the old girl one last time down to the meet up site .. where the driver already had the doors open and load ramp ready to go.

1. All polished up and ready to go.
2. Pulling out the garage for my final ride.
3. Open exhaust and 9k rpms will draw a following ...
4. Going ... going ... gone.

Attachments

• 76_transport_2010.jpg
    76_transport_2010.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 76_transport_2_2010.jpg
    76_transport_2_2010.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
  • final_ride_2010.jpg
    final_ride_2010.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
  • final_day_2010.jpg
    final_day_2010.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0

Bonafide

NBR founder
Bona....that is one fine looking Honda Cafe.....sad to see her go I bet.....
LMT

yeah ... but it gets me excited about building the next one. Already have a tank/tail section being built ... and misc cool parts have been arriving and starting to pile up.

Someone asked me the other day, 'how do you spell delicious?'
I replied, 'T I T T I E S'.

:boob:

Nick Morey

Rocker
Judging by what you did with the old CB, I'm sure the new one is gonna be another winner. Keep looking forward, and not back, right? :ride:

Bonafide

NBR founder
Is there a theme for the new one ????
LMT

I aint in to choppas or rats, or bobbers ... just like them cafe'd. Pretty much a part 2 aka the empire strikes back .. and not far from the theme of this SS that just left the house ... except maybe brighter and shiny-er. :rock:

sneak peek.

Attachments

• Dolphinalloy2.jpg
    Dolphinalloy2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 0