need more power

Boy I kinda got slamed by some of the members. But I want to thank you. This is great advise and information. I guess I like going fast. I am young and eager. I have out grown the power of this bike, and I think the triple would be an exellent choice. I dont want to alter this bike a bunch and I feel it wouldnt be cost efective. I do want a sportbike. Yes speed kills, but I'll bet when you guys were younger you sometimes opened it up with a big grin on your face too. So in the spring I will put my beloved bonnie up for sale and start looking at triumph triples. I bought the wrong bike for my ridding style and age. I think triumph builds a good machine.

Nah, I don't think anyone was slamming you mate, just pointing out that it this point in your life, the Bonnie is not the right bike for you. Like you said yourself, you've outgrown the power.

Chances are, when you are older and have done the "i wanna go ballisticly fast" thing, then you might find yourself looking back wistfully at the Bonnie.

Probably if you talk to some of the older hands on this forum, their riding experience was probably something like dirtbikes for starters, then older (cheaper) streetbikes or classics, sportsbikes then the Triumph twin they have now and maybe something else in the garage. I know that applies to me, plus a 4 or 5 year phase on H-Ds in the late 80's/early 90's. That's the beauty of riding - not one size fits all but there is pretty much a choice out there for everyone.

Let us know what you end up with, ride safe & enjoy it. :D

Cheers,

Pikey.

Got a Tiger 1050 in the garage keeping company with the Bonnie. There are faster, but the Tiger is very comfortable, capable and fast enough (well into triple digits in the wink of the eye) for me.

Easier than hot rodding the Bonnie. Still love riding the Bonnie too though...

R2R, I ride regularly with a mate who's got a 1050 Tiger. He loves it and can eat huge miles day after day and still get off fresh. He's got a Thunderbikes end can and other bling on it and it is a beauty. You are indeed a fortunate man to have that and the Bonnie in your garage.

IMG_0049Medium.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Boy I kinda got slamed by some of the members. But I want to thank you. This is great advise and information. I guess I like going fast. I am young and eager. I have out grown the power of this bike, and I think the triple would be an exellent choice. I dont want to alter this bike a bunch and I feel it wouldnt be cost efective. I do want a sportbike. Yes speed kills, but I'll bet when you guys were younger you sometimes opened it up with a big grin on your face too. So in the spring I will put my beloved bonnie up for sale and start looking at triumph triples. I bought the wrong bike for my ridding style and age. I think triumph builds a good machine.
I think comments made were on the money and in particular Pikey who has owned them all makes the most sense. You do want a faster bike and I agree with your comments Evil which doesn't line up with some here even. I do believe in buying versus making the bike you like as you say because it isn't cost effective. That said, all the mods I have made to my bike are starting to add up. :)...haven't had the engine apart yet tho...but may at some point because the power is close to what I need Evil so in my case no need to buy a faster bike. Sounds like you want a bunch more which I understand. I only hope and I mean this sincerely...that you as a rider are up to the task of riding a superbike safely. I'll bet that half that own them for the rush aren't. I realy don't see having owned a lot of bikes including those faster than my bonnie why you need more power than the bonnie on the street. Go ahead and sow your wild oates but I only hope you do so safely. As Frank taught us in the other thread,
motorcycling is the worst if you don't ride safe. 1 liter sport bike performance on the street is hard to use IMHO without losing your license. Being top gun has a price.

Last edited:

Pete R

Banned
Evil - for what it's worth - if you really love speed (and most of us worship it's God) get yourself a quickish bike you like, join a club and go roadracing...on a track.

You'll have so much fun and learn heaps - about your bike and it's preparation, about riding and racecraft and most of all about yourself. Everybody's going the same way, there's no cars, no oncoming traffic and if something is wrong around a blind corner there's someone standing there waving a flag to let you know.

At club level no matter how fast or how slow you go there's always somebody to dice with. Racing not to be last is as much fun as racing to be first. And like most sports doing your best and improving is what it's about - coming last is totally cool if you've knocked a few tenths if your best laptime!

I know guys who ride at idiot speed on the road but wont go on a track "because it's too dangerous". They are the idiots. Don't be like them, check out a club in your area and go to a club day as a spectator...see what you think.

I've had lots of fun filled years on the track and been to too many funerals for friends lost on the roads. Stay with us mate.

mikenva

Rocker
evil go your own way there is no bike as much fun as a fast bonnie and yes you cam make them fast if you want to pay the cost.yea you can buy a sport bike allready fast but with a fast bonnie you can have the feel and looks of a bonnie with the power you want.Most that will slam you for wanting a fast bonnie have never had one .I have one that should make 115hp and around 80ft/lbs on the rear wheel .Out of tune it made 103.85 rwhp and 80 ft/lbs thats around a 675 hp and 40 more ft/lbs and that was on a 98deg f day.One ride on a 1087 bonnie would change alot of peoples minds the torque would scare the shit out of most of them it still scares me lol.Ever brake the rear tire loose in 3rd gear ?

evil knievel

Scooter
researching

I've hit the books, and internet, reading all I can on the triumph triples. I'm like a kid in a candy store. So many choices and colors . I'll let you know what I come up with. I think this will take a little while. I am exited. My dad even took an interest in the Thunderbird while I was researching. He is to big for the Bonnie, he looks like a elephant sitting on a foot ball. " his own words" lol.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
evil go your own way there is no bike as much fun as a fast bonnie and yes you cam make them fast if you want to pay the cost.yea you can buy a sport bike allready fast but with a fast bonnie you can have the feel and looks of a bonnie with the power you want.Most that will slam you for wanting a fast bonnie have never had one .I have one that should make 115hp and around 80ft/lbs on the rear wheel .Out of tune it made 103.85 rwhp and 80 ft/lbs thats around a 675 hp and 40 more ft/lbs and that was on a 98deg f day.One ride on a 1087 bonnie would change alot of peoples minds the torque would scare the shit out of most of them it still scares me lol.Ever brake the rear tire loose in 3rd gear ?
You beat the drum a lot for your bike which is cool. But never lose sight of the fact you are in the vast minority of motorcyclists Mike. Virtually all...would say 99% that ride would never invest as much as you have to build one of the fastest bikes of its kind. Why?
Three reasons:
1. Cost: You have literally doubled the price of your bike and that doesn't even include the price of upgrading brakes and suspension to harness the power increase. How much do you have in your engine Mike? $7-8K?
2. Time: Many don't have the time for the transformation.
3. Talent: Simple fact is, you are in the minority of people capable of complete engine dismantlement and rebuild.

It is much easier to buy a fast motorcycle. The world is full of them. The reasons why there aren't more bikes like yours are outlined above. Pretty simple really. Oh there are a few big bore kits, flowed heads and cam changes out there. But those don't transform the bike, simply make it a bit faster for $2-4K. Some even question the equation of 20 more hp for $4K-5K.

Evil already said he didn't think it was cost effective to rebuild his bike. He's right. It isn't. Is it the best thing you possibly could have done? Sounds like it. No doubt it is one whale of a machine and you are a talented wrench but consider that very few will choose your path.

Last edited:

mikenva

Rocker
chris there are lots of guys with others bikes that cost way more then I have in mine.Price some of the big harleys .In fact for about the same price these guys pay for a t-bird you could have a pretty fast bonnie.Its not like it use to be no testing is needed any more .TPUSA can build a bolt on 100 hp motor that you could have running on your bike in a days time.Even a good 904 with a good head and cams putting out 85+ hp changes these bikes alot.Motor work blows alot of peoples minds but the same people will upgrade brakes shocks tires and wheels and they can kill you if not done right lol.I have helped a few guys build there motors over the phone that have never had a motor apart before its just nuts and bolts with tpusa setting everything up before you get it.

daleCarlsbad

Scooter
You want fast.....you have to spend the money.

This bad boy has the 904cc kit, 39mm carbs, pipes, airbox, ignition, brakes, gearing, suspension, and to date about $8k in aftermarket parts.

Fully sorted.....yours for $10K :D

IMG_0001-5.jpg

IMG_0003-7.jpg

IMG_0005-4.jpg

Oh ya.........OEM fenders included

2-3.jpg

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
chris there are lots of guys with others bikes that cost way more then I have in mine.Price some of the big harleys .In fact for about the same price these guys pay for a t-bird you could have a pretty fast bonnie.Its not like it use to be no testing is needed any more .TPUSA can build a bolt on 100 hp motor that you could have running on your bike in a days time.Even a good 904 with a good head and cams putting out 85+ hp changes these bikes alot.Motor work blows alot of peoples minds but the same people will upgrade brakes shocks tires and wheels and they can kill you if not done right lol.I have helped a few guys build there motors over the phone that have never had a motor apart before its just nuts and bolts with tpusa setting everything up before you get it.

Was just commenting on why the majority do what they do. Simple and more cost effective to buy versus make hp. No they won't have a unique bike like you do however your bike's uniqueness is why it won't have much resale...although that doesn't matter to you either.

Ocassionally I get the jones for a superbike. If you buy right, both bikes below can be bought for probably less than what you have into your bonnie only instead of having 115 hp at the crank like your bike, these have 160+hp at the crank with brakes, adjustable suspension and a bit of wind deflection to match the speed. BMW also makes the S model with neutral riding position and fairings which makes more sense with big power. You can buy used, ride for a year or two and sell them and meanwhile have a lot of fun in between for not much effort or out of pocket. The reason I resist is because they are more bike than I am rider and I don't want to lose my license or worse. I don't want to use the horsepower they have in other words.

Good to have options and building a bonnie is one but Evil started this thread and I know a lot of young motorcyclists like him. Most of them ride $3K Gixxers or CBR's because that is all they can afford. Evil may be able to scrape together $6K for a loan on a used Speed Triple but sure can't throw $12K at a bonnie that he likely can't build himself.

I have been trying to resist buying either bike below. Honorable mention goes out to the naked 4V 130 hp Ducati Monster ;)

2009-Ducati-1198-6.jpg

BMWK1200R.jpg

Last edited:

MES

750cc
I'm really getting a kick out of this thread.

I have out grown the power of this bike
I doubt that very much. Unless you just want to drop the wrist on the straightest longest flat piece of road you can find.

Speed:
It's not a number.
It's a sensation. Half scared, half thrilled. The brain near overload as the information and terrain go whizzing by.

You don't need a faster bike son. You need tighter roads.
Search them out. stalk and hunt them down.
Learn them like a womens body. Every curve, every bump, the rise and fall. Learn what makes her work and what works for you.
To feel her as she moves beneath and her beneath you. intertwined, just being, without thinking. The release, how sweet that moment.
Learn to dance the dance of the animals.
Build your skilz.

Now go smoke a cigarette.

no girl likes a three minute man and going fast on the straight takes very little talent.

The great thing about these bikes is that as the road get tighter the liter bikes loose the advantage and their power become a liability. They can't work the throttle. We're sitting on there ass right in the middle of the torque band laughing.
In most cases, sport bikes are capable of a lot more than the person piloting them are. So unless they are capable of putting their head down and making a point of making a point. Your up in their shit like snot on a pigs nose.

Easy13

Street Tracker

I doubt that very much. Unless you just want to drop the wrist on the straightest longest flat piece of road you can find.

Speed:
It's not a number.
It's a sensation. Half scared, half thrilled. The brain near overload as the information and terrain go whizzing by.

Learn them like a womens body. Every curve, every bump, the rise and fall. Learn what makes her work and what works for you.
To feel her as she moves beneath and her beneath you. intertwined, just being, without thinking. The release, how sweet that moment.
Build your skilz.

no girl likes a three minute man and going fast on the straight takes very little talent.

The great thing about these bikes is that as the road get tighter the liter bikes loose the advantage and their power become a liability. They can't work the throttle. We're sitting on there ass right in the middle of the torque band laughing.
In most cases, sport bikes are capable of a lot more than the person piloting them are. So unless they are capable of putting their head down and making a point of making a point. Your up in their shit like snot on a pigs nose.

++++++++1. :rockon:

Vendor

Speed:
It's not a number.

Build your skilz.

Clint...
Your post is a fu**ing poem!!!
Hats off to you Sir!:worthy: