Long 1st gear

evil knievel

Scooter
Hi guys. I went out back road riding with a couple of friends. The trails were easy going until we hit a bad patch of sand. The other 2 bikes weaved and powered through it, but I bogged down and with the really tall first gear that these bikes have,..it had it very hard to get out without a lot of clutch dragging or rear wheel tire spinning. Why have these bikes such a long first gear ? My buddies are in 3rd and I'm still in 1st. I think thats part of the reason my buddies are always getting the jump on me.I feel that this bike would certainly do better with more apropriate gearing. Any one else find the gearing spaced kinda odd ?

What are you comparing your Bonneville to? What are they riding? If they are riding sportbikes then you are comparing apples to oranges.

I feel the gearing ration and spacing seems appropriate for what it is. If you want to have better power out of first gear, you can always go down 1 or 2 teeth on the front sprocket and or add a couple teeth on the rear sprocket.

ivar

TT Racer
evil,
Which year was your, bike, can't remember? If its a couple years old, it will have a 18T front sprocket. From what you're describing, sounds like a 17T sprocket will be better suited for your riding.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Hi guys. I went out back road riding with a couple of friends. The trails were easy going until we hit a bad patch of sand. The other 2 bikes weaved and powered through it, but I bogged down and with the really tall first gear that these bikes have,..it had it very hard to get out without a lot of clutch dragging or rear wheel tire spinning. Why have these bikes such a long first gear ? My buddies are in 3rd and I'm still in 1st. I think thats part of the reason my buddies are always getting the jump on me.I feel that this bike would certainly do better with more apropriate gearing. Any one else find the gearing spaced kinda odd ?
Trail riding on a bonneville?
The gearing is meant for the street.
First you write a thread about needing more speed and then you write about riding the bike on trails which I presume is dirt. The bike isn't designed for that. Even a Scrambler is more of a dual sport and if your friends have trail specific bikes, they will run away from you.
My sense is you can't be this misinformed or you are 14 years old. If you really do exist, I hope you get some instruction or supervision otherwise I fear the worst for you. Riding a heavy, bald tired and yes long geared bike like a bonneville on dirt aggressively isn't something I would ever do. Even for a skilled rider it wouldn't be safe. To prove you aren't having fun with us, tell us specifically what trails you ride and what kind of bikes your friends are riding.

Last edited:

Bonneville09er

Street Tracker
First you write a thread about needing more speed and then you write about riding the bike on trails which I presume is dirt. The bike isn't designed for that. Even a Scrambler is more of a dual sport and if your friends have trail specific bikes, they will run away from you.
My sense is you can't be this misinformed or you are 14 years old. If you really do exist, I hope you get some instruction or supervision otherwise I fear the worst for you. Riding a heavy, bald tired and yes long geared bike like a bonneville on dirt aggressively isn't something I would ever do. Even for a skilled rider it wouldn't be safe. To prove you aren't having fun with us, tell us specifically what trails you ride and what kind of bikes your friends are riding.

nailed

ivar

TT Racer
with the suspension sorted and some dualsport tires, the Bonnie is a blast to ride on gravel
P1000478.JPG

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
I have to say that I would love to go down to a 17 or 16 tooth front sprocket on my 08' T-100 for STREET riding, but first I would need that elusive 6th gear for freeways... I don't think the gearing is perfect, but it ain't bad.

Evil, I assume that you want more power to go really fast down these sandy trails, so I suggest a Hayabusa with dirt bike tires and a meter and a half of suspension travel :gsxr:

Bonniebret

Rocker

+1 You obviously bought the wrong bike for you. I'd say cut your losses, sell it now and ask your friends that are beating you off the line, out racing and out climbing you what their recommendation would be.

MES

750cc
Speed3Chris, strokerlmt, Bonneville09er

I see you guys are starting to catch up to me. :)

I had it with junior on his last thread. The guy doesn't have clue one.

If you go back and read his welcome post you would see

I am new to bikes so I am here to learn.
combine that with some of his other posts.... and well, there you have it.

It's a shame because there are people here that have been around the block and know a thing or two.
:attn:

+1 You obviously bought the wrong bike for you. I'd say cut your losses, sell it now and ask your friends that are beating you off the line, out racing and out climbing you what their recommendation would be.

LOL...when I read your post, this is what I thought about:

tool.jpg

In all seriousness OP. You may want to sit down and really ask yourself what you want out of a motorcycle. You can't have it all.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
The question MES isn't if the guy is lame. Real young and inexperienced may explain lame. Sometimes language barrier is also mistaken for lame. Question is...whether somebody who knows bikes is having some fun with us. In either event it doesn't matter and the whole thing is good for a laugh. Gotta love the internet...both a blessing and curse. :)

strokerlmt

Evil's generation is all over facebook and twitter all doing, acting, looking , sounding the same......
BTW I guess the FBI finally figured out criminals are using internet, facebook and twitter to communicate so apparently they now have the power to tap the internet since tapping phones doesn't work anymore.
LMT

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Onto the tranny, I like the gearing but i think the ratio in 5th could be lengthened to make it a more highway friendly gear. IF you really need the acceleration 4th will get you past the ton anyway so a longer 5th gear would be almost like having a 6th for highway

MES

750cc
Onto the tranny, I like the gearing but i think the ratio in 5th could be lengthened to make it a more highway friendly gear. IF you really need the acceleration 4th will get you past the ton anyway so a longer 5th gear would be almost like having a 6th for highway
That would work if your lite enough or have a hopped up motor.

I think I would rather have a close ratio 6 speed though.
On the open highways in Ca., I have to keep it under 72-75mph and I'm turning maybe 4.8K. Not bad really.
If 5th was taller, I would be able to limit out in 5th. As is, a slight down hill really helps. :)
I'm a lard ass. :(

Texas94fs

Hooligan
That would work if your lite enough or have a hopped up motor.

I think I would rather have a close ratio 6 speed though.
On the open highways in Ca., I have to keep it under 72-75mph and I'm turning maybe 4.8K. Not bad really.
If 5th was taller, I would be able to limit out in 5th. As is, a slight down hill really helps. :)
I'm a lard ass. :(

Im 155 soaking wet, but you cant modify the transmission to accept a 6th gear however instead of that why not a taller 5th gear? It doesn't have to be a huge difference, just enough to drop high speed rpms a bit. So it'd be more like a 4 speed tranny with an OD

evil knievel

Scooter
Back lash

There are tons of places to ride around here...pick one of many.Kelowna is one of the most beutiful places for quading, moto-X, and skidoo riding. Just head out #97 and go any where near Rutland recreational park, or if you want somthing challenging.. go near Tower Ranch @ hillside park. There is also Mission creek reginal park area. B.C is wilderness country. Once you leave your door step..your in it. As far as "what kind of bikes I ride with" how many would you like me to name. I have over 100 friends in the extream moto cross club. We go riding all the time with alot of different friends.Some have new tricked out bikes..Yamaha, suzuki, honda, KTM...and other have older bikes from the 80;s and 90's. We ride street bikes, enduro"s, quads...everything.We ride on the highway,trails,ditches...where ever we feel like riding. I bought this bike to RIDE !!! I like off road and ON road! Whats wrong with that ? I cant help it that some people limit there riding to bright sunny days onley on new pavement. I do relize that 1 bike cant be all things, but I'm sorry..I cant afford 3 bikes..can you??
And when I said "I am new to bikes" I should have said STREET bikes.I'm sorry. And thanks for calling me all sorts of names and callling me young and stupid. Isnt this Forum for learning? I asked a very simple question about the long first gear on this bike, and I get slammed. Thank you to all the others who truly wanted to help me. From now on..I wont ask any more Dumb questions and I'll just sit back and read. There is alot of good information on this forum

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
There are tons of places to ride around here...pick one of many.Kelowna is one of the most beutiful places for quading, moto-X, and skidoo riding. Just head out #97 and go any where near Rutland recreational park, or if you want somthing challenging.. go near Tower Ranch @ hillside park. There is also Mission creek reginal park area. B.C is wilderness country. Once you leave your door step..your in it. As far as "what kind of bikes I ride with" how many would you like me to name. I have over 100 friends in the extream moto cross club. We go riding all the time with alot of different friends.Some have new tricked out bikes..Yamaha, suzuki, honda, KTM...and other have older bikes from the 80;s and 90's. We ride street bikes, enduro"s, quads...everything.We ride on the highway,trails,ditches...where ever we feel like riding. I bought this bike to RIDE !!! I like off road and ON road! Whats wrong with that ? I cant help it that some people limit there riding to bright sunny days onley on new pavement. I do relize that 1 bike cant be all things, but I'm sorry..I cant afford 3 bikes..can you??
And when I said "I am new to bikes" I should have said STREET bikes.I'm sorry. And thanks for calling me all sorts of names and callling me young and stupid. Isnt this Forum for learning? I asked a very simple question about the long first gear on this bike, and I get slammed. Thank you to all the others who truly wanted to help me. From now on..I wont ask any more Dumb questions and I'll just sit back and read. There is alot of good information on this forum

If you are legit...and you just well may be :) then you should know better.
A bonneville is a bad on and off road bike. No, no bike is all things. But there are better bikes for combination on and off road riding. They are called dual sports and a T100 is far from that. Not even a dual sport will keep up with a dedicated dirt bike on the dirt....but will whip a dirt bike on the road. So if you are getting dusted by your friends and you want a competent street bike, get used to being beat in the dirt if you are competitive riding against your buddies with dedicated dirt bikes. Riding a bonneville in the dirt is not only slow but somewhat risky so keep that in mind. Its a 450 lb bike with limited suspension travel and not a lot of ground clearance and not a good choice for riding the dirt aggressively, even with suitable tires. If you really are insistent about owning just one bike to ride both dirt and on the street aggressively like you say, buy a different bike.
Sounds like you have a lot to pick from to test and good luck to you.

Last edited:

Bob80220

Scooter

:attn: