Eastern Beaver Headlight Harness

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Most of us are dissatisfied with the stock headlight and have thought about upgrading it at some point. Seems like I have been on a lighting kick lately in preparation of much anticipated summer riding…recently changing the rear Lucas light to a LED and upgrading the speedo lighting…see associated threads in the Project Zone.

Triumph upgraded the reflector for ’09 which is a step forward but the stock H4 halogen 55/65W bulb is pretty pathetic if not downright dangerous. It is not common knowledge around the motorcycle industry that the weakest link in lighting isn’t related to the bulb but generally the wiring for all stock motorcycles. Some believe this simply pertains to heat sensitivity…but it is much more than that. Time to break out your EE handbook. ;) An obscure fact is light output is approx. proportional to the 4th power of the voltage across the filaments in the bulb. 1 to 1 increase would make a difference, but 4th power or exponential increase changes everything.
Translation is, a small increase in wiring resistance translates to a major loss in light transmission. How is power lost from the battery to the light? Loss is realized in small wire gauge and hence high resistance and Triumph to conserve cost, as most motorcycle mfr’s....elect to run light power right through the headlight switch and interrupt circuit in the starter relay. This translates to not only oxidation over time to the contacts due to substantial power draw for even further light loss but hot, resistive wires that rob headlight lumens. This isn’t small stuff….this is a big deal in lighting.

Have a look at the graph below:
VoltageversusLumensGraph.jpg

If you have any doubt, perform the same check I did. Pull your seat and open your headlight. Place multimeter leads across the battery to measure voltage and then across the bulb leads at base of H4 plug for both low and high beams. My bike experienced a full 1.5 volts loss for low beam and a bit more loss for the high beam due to its greater current draw. This is common btw in the industry. If you want, go out on the web and read about it for further perspective.

I was getting only 10.3 volts for my low beam when the batt voltage (with light on) measured 12.1 volts. If you look at the graph this translates to a full 60% reduction in light output and even more for the high beam if somehow I can get all the battery voltage to the light. The Eastern Beaver relay harness gets all but 0.1 volts to the light. All I have to say this mod is transformative in terms of additional light. Not only is the light more than half again brighter but it is much whiter.

Installation:

Pic of the wire harness:
EasternBeaver1.jpg

You maybe able to finder a cheaper H4 relayed harness out on the web but not one of this quality for the price….about $45. I also considered making my own harness but after adding up the cost of supplies, this harness can’t be beat. Quality is also excellent.

OK…how to put it on. Pretty easy installation. No soldering. Best method is to cut off your stock H4 female plug and isolate the ground (black) from the headlight harness with electrical tape. Then use posi-locks supplied in the kit to attach the harness right to the two remaining low and high headlight wires. If you decide to purchase this kit, go to Eastern Beaver’s site for additional info for the install. Note: for those that don’t want to assault your factory wiring harness, this relay harness includes a H4 plug that plugs right into the factory H4 light socket. Downside of this approach is it is fractionally less efficient and takes up more space inside an already crowded headlight shell and EB recommends cutting off both bike and relay H4 plugs for direct tie in which I agree with.

Posi-lock installation: (Optional)
EasternBeaver2.jpg

How it looks in inside the headlight:
EasternBeaver3.jpg

A look under the EFI tank:
EasternBeaver4.jpg

Connection to the battery running up the spine of the bike under the tank:
EasternBeaver5.jpg

Summary:

For those that want a stronger headlight which is most of us, this is what I recommend:

1. Change the bulb. I have a 80/100W "off road" Wagner H4 which are inexpensive and available at most Napa stores and a good improvement to the stock light. I had no problem with the stock harness overheating but without question the more robust Eastern Beaver harness can take the heat of the higher wattage bulb much better. Bulbs, color coating and wattage is a bit of shell game played by bulb sellers obfuscated by clever marketing. Reality is higher wattage bulbs don't shed a lot more light and partly due to the fact they draw more current and the stock harness on most bikes is too resistive to transmit needed energy.

2. Install a relay harness for direct battery voltage to the light bypassing the headlight switches and puny wiring which now simply operate the relays to direct power to the battery. (A much bigger difference than upgrading the bulb.)

3. Upgrade your reflector. I haven’t done this yet nor have immediate plans because the ’09 reflector is pretty good and the Cibie replacement doesn’t mount very well to the revised Triumph reflector housing.

Here’s to hot summer night riding. :boobeyes:
Please let me know if you have any questions about the installation.

Last edited:

wobblygong

Street Tracker
:thread:A LOT of effort went into preparing and posting this thread chris and I, for one, really appreciate it.
Poor lighting on my Bonnie has been a pain in the arse for me and your post has given me a better understanding of the problem. Thank you. :worthy:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Thanks guys. Just trying to give back a bit as we teach one another about these bikes.
I don't have the best eyesight so lighting is particularly important to me.
Ride safe you guys.
PS: HID is another albeit pricier option. The EB harness lends to that mod as well if you want to upgrade later.
Big improvement tho with a bulb and harness change and maybe enough for most.

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Wow. Thanks a heap. I really want to get a spare harness and cut out a bunch of unneeded shit and thin it down, one of these looks like it could be quite beneficial.

nohawk

Rocker
Fantastic info from you as usual man! I really like you posts and the effort you put in em, it would take me hours to write that! The voltage drop to the light makes total sense but what would have been the most expensive part of the thing if you would have made your own?

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Wow. Thanks a heap. I really want to get a spare harness and cut out a bunch of unneeded shit and thin it down, one of these looks like it could be quite beneficial.
Its a sweet harness and would be a nice plug and play if you cut down your factory harness. Basically your headlight switch and/or starter relay for headlight interrupt during start now just provides low current to trigger the relays....what the stock wiring should have been used for in the first place. You know how it is with those bean counters standing on a nickel. ;)

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Fantastic info from you as usual man! I really like you posts and the effort you put in em, it would take me hours to write that! The voltage drop to the light makes total sense but what would have been the most expensive part of the thing if you would have made your own?
Thanks for the compliment all around Hawk...appreciate it. The parts to build a single H4 harness are relatively inexpensive but our time to gather them and then physically assemble the harness has a cost as well as you know....lots of incidentals like connectors, shrink tube...12 gauge wiring....relays are pretty standard automotive grade 30amp'ers I believe. All the parts would likely be in the $15-20 range + gas and or shipping to procure them. You can also purchase a ceramic H4 plug if you wish for better heat insolation etc. The reason I chose the Eastern Beaver harness is because they have a great rep in the motorcycle industry...a not uncommon upgrade for headlights across brands and easily doable for the DIY'er.
Cheers.

Last edited:

rodburner

Rocker
A very detailed and well thought out post,S3C. I don't ride at night,so I've not had occasion to even use the high beam when I had a real headlight. With my current wiring scheme [skeletonized] and my "euro" headlight [sorry Sweat],I haven't had to dick with any of that stuff.Each H3 bulb has its own 14g wire coming from a toggle switch,fed by a single fused lead,straight from the battery.But that harness and relay setup may come in handy for some other things I have in mind...good job.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
A very detailed and well thought out post,S3C. I don't ride at night,so I've not had occasion to even use the high beam when I had a real headlight. With my current wiring scheme [skeletonized] and my "euro" headlight [sorry Sweat],I haven't had to dick with any of that stuff.Each H3 bulb has its own 14g wire coming from a toggle switch,fed by a single fused lead,straight from the battery.But that harness and relay setup may come in handy for some other things I have in mind...good job.

Thank you brother. I appreciate all the posts you share about fabrication as well. I try not to ride at night as a rule either frankly because I believe it ups the stakes for a mistake...but...I many times get caught coming back from dinner when out in the evening when I appreciate better lighting. The other thing is, a brighter headlight also helps being seen coming through intersections during the day and cagers in front knowing we are there when passing them. ;)
All the best rod and thanks again.

Last edited:
Bonneville headlight improvements

"""
For those that want a stronger headlight which is most of us,

2. Install a relay harness for direct battery voltage to the light bypassing the headlight switches and puny wiring which now simply operate the relays to direct power to the battery. (A much bigger difference than upgrading the bulb.)

3. Upgrade your reflector. I haven’t done this yet nor have immediate plans because the ’09 reflector is pretty good and the Cibie replacement doesn’t mount very well to the revised Triumph reflector housing.

Here’s to hot summer night riding. :boobeyes:
Please let me know if you have any questions about the installation.[/QUOTE]

Chris an excellent article and helps us alot. upgrading the bulb is the value option as some companys here are claiming better output from using xenon H4 bulb. Halfords did an offer 2for one etc. but other suppliers no doubt doing same. Didnt realise the harness allowed for a dive in voltage. i know the custom folks over here have done 2 relays for dip and main beam on customs/trikes etc. Next (gets on soap box) its not always what you chuck in the headlight that makes it better. Bike mag yonks ago did a test on different replacement lens when most common was 7 inch diameter, now its all mm's and funky designs. lol.
Cibie came out top for distance. Wipac quadoptic came out for spread of light and depth but the length of Cibie (now under Valeo i beleive) won by yards. Now design has moved on and its the reflector making the difference.
(easier to make?)
Personally i like to see a traditional lens, as these 09 lights look strange with a clear lens. Still if it helps better riding at night then- top marks.

With respect
Steve
Bury St. Edmunds
GB Bonneville SE and getting the modification bug. lol.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Thanks for your comments Steve. The voltage drop for the Bonnie is actually common to all Triumphs and most motorcycles and many cars. Lack of relays is simply a cost saving to mfr's. Technically they are unnecessary because 18 guage wires can take the load...problem being is they are very high resistance in the process.
As to reflectors....reflectors are a large piece of the puzzle as you state. Cibies are plug and play on earlier Hinkley bonnies...but not so on '09/10 EFI bikes. Triumph upgraded the reflector on the late model bikes and in doing early reports are...the Cibie reflector is very hard to install without hacking and the kluge is not very effective so word up if you are leaning in that direction with your EFI bike. If you have an '08 or earlier bike, in particular because the reflector is so lame, a good idea to replace with a Cibie.
Ride safe and enjoy your new bonnie.

Nick Morey

Rocker
+2 Chris... Have to throw this in here... You may be the most detailed poster I have seen in my short forum haunting life. The effort you put into threads you start and even posts to answer someone else's questions is uncanny! If you ever decide to get lax & just be like most of us, there is no objection here... but, until then... keep up the good work!

Oh yeah, thanks for joining NBR, you are a definite asset around here. :headbang2:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
+2 Chris... Have to throw this in here... You may be the most detailed poster I have seen in my short forum haunting life. The effort you put into threads you start and even posts to answer someone else's questions is uncanny! If you ever decide to get lax & just be like most of us, there is no objection here... but, until then... keep up the good work!

Oh yeah, thanks for joining NBR, you are a definite asset around here. :headbang2:
Thanks.
Nick, this stuff is what I am about is all. I have been building cars and bikes since I was a little kid and also has been my career so it comes naturally really and not much effort than taking some pictures and providing some detail. Couple of things I have learned along the way is, don't expect anything if you don't contribute and the more you give, always the more you receive back. This is a new forum and created in large measure due to backlash to the despicable cencorship that occurs on the other unmentionable forum and so I am trying to grow the information base to make this forum not only a better resource but also encourage others to participate. In many ways the guys that come here are kindred spirits in that we believe well intentions should not be rewarded with banning and having threads manipulated by ignorant moderators. The guys here have more than just passion for a particular motorcycle. The jackasses on the other forum get what they deserve. Smart guys won't tolerate that bullshit and all I will say about it.
Ride safe and thanks again for all the kind words.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Jolly Good Fellow

............and so say all of us!

Just read this. I'm kind of inspired! Good post S3C.

I never really thought about the headlight being weak, but that graph is eye-opening.

Nice write-up, good job.

I recently did the same thing, along with a new Hella reflector and a PIAA bulb. I rode home from work at 11pm last night and can verify that there's a big difference in lighting, it's much better.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
thearcticsea....the headlight is weak but relative of course. Many if not most factory bikes without HID don't have that great of headlight. The newer bonnie bikes have a better reflector which helps. Lots of room for improvement and a popular upgrade for all model years. Many overlook the harness because they think of the wiring in terms of ability to sustain the heat of the light which it does but getting more voltage to the light makes a big difference even without changing anything else.
Balto...word is the Hella reflector is a good cost effective alternative to the Cibie.
Cheers.

fender

Street Tracker
Chris, thanks for you're insight and your detailed posting of the info. I've order the harness based on your findings. I'll report back once I get it installed.