"Fixing" the 2009 Bonneville T100 50th Anniversary model

Neducati

Two Stroke
Ned - I'm wondering why we didn't see you at Carlise last summer? You don't live that far away from there. It would have been nice to meet you. Maybe you can swing the 2009 Bennington Triumph Bash next May. You won't regret going to it.

Hi Hedge. I live about 10 miles from the Carlisle Fairgrounds but unfortunately the AMA's Vintage Motorcycle Days event at Mid-Ohio was held on the same weekend this year. We opted for that event since it's not every year that Triumph is the featured marque. I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you in Carlisle.

I'm sure we'll get to meet soon at some Triumph event.

bdavanza

Street Tracker
Is t just me or is the paint line on the tank all wrong? If you look at a 59 Bonnie, the line going through the tank badge is a much better line, going through the center. The new bike's line sags down. What for?
Also I think they saturated the blue too much. Just my opinion, and I think your improvements look great, Ned.

Triumph-Bonnie-T120-1959.jpg

KingBear

Hooligan
I think the paint scheme is close enough, especially considering all the other more obvious and significant differences. It's an anniversary edition, not a reproduction. If he wanted to take it to the next level I'd say add a pedestrian slicer and black headlight bucket.

Question for Ned: Did you remove the rear fender reflector and replace it with a reflective license plate bolt? :confused:

Neducati

Two Stroke
bdvanza- I agree that the paint scheme on the new tank is not ideal. When I customized my '04 T100 along the lines of a '61, I took the coachline through the middle of the Triumph logo on the tank badge, as was done with the early Bonnies that used the same tank badge. But I'm not making any mods to the '09 50th Anniversary model that can't be easily undone, so I'm sort of stuck with what I have.

KingBear- I'll probably do the headlight bucket, but the pedestrian slicer would require drilling some holes in the front fender, and I want to have the option of returning the bike to bone stock. I really dislike the big reflector Triumph puts on the bottom of the fender, so yes, that's exactly what I did, rather than leaving that raised section of metal with a hole in the middle of it. If you look at the back of my '04 Bonnie, you'll see there is no reflector. That was hammered flat, welded shut and painted - things I probably won't do to the '09.

uk59

Scooter
Grrrrrrrrrreat looking bikes. I found #469. My brother had a new 61 when I was growing up. You are right on target to get closer to the vintage look.
I am now looking at double wall headers because I don't like the blueing pipes. The kink in the exhaust at the silencer bothers me and I am looking to go with Minizoom straights to lose the kink. Like you I don't want a loud bike and wondering if the Mini will be too much for my old ears and the fun police.
Has anyone considered double wall headers to prevent blue pipes?

Last edited:

bdavanza

Street Tracker
uk59
My friend had the Raask pipes on his 01. He got them with the Norton style mufflers. They looked great, did not blue, but were not loud enough for my taste. There was more sound than stock, and it was pleasant, had some grunt. I would think that no mufflers made for stock headers will fit Raask headers, as they have no kink. You might be able to get some generic mufflers to fit, with a little fabrication.
-Ben

uk59

Scooter
Neducati
After seeing your 50th Anniversary Bonneville, I ordered a new classic badge for my Five-O.
Can you tell me how you removed the original tank badge.
Thanks
David

Neducati

Two Stroke
plastic tank badge removal

Neducati

After seeing your 50th Anniversary Bonneville, I ordered a new classic badge for my Five-O.

Can you tell me how you removed the original tank badge.

Thanks
David

Good morning David-

I simply got under the edges of the plastic badges with my fingernails and gently pulled them off. That's the easy part. Then you'll have some very sticky foam material to remove. I rolled it off with a microfiber towel, then cleaned up the residue with Goo Gone.

There are a number of threads on this topic and others recommend using dental floss for the initial removal of the badges. I have not tried that, but it seems that it would also work well.

Others yet have suggested heat (such as from a hairdryer or a carefully used heat gun), but be very careful not to burn the paint or ignite gas fumes.

Good luck with your project, and don't forget to post photos.

Ned

Last edited:

uk59

Scooter
Ned
Thanks for the info about removing the original tank badge and replacing with the classic badge. I'm looking forward to receiving and installing the classic badge. Also, I have been studying switching my exhaust to double wall headers to avoid the blue pipes.
I can't decide whether to do away with the kink in the exhaust which means more modifications for the side and centerstand to work and nest.

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
I too considered just putting the 50th Anniversary model in my foyer and never riding it in the hope that it will retain more value if it becomes a collectable bike, but decided that life is too short to forgo the enjoyment of riding a motorcycle that you love just so it will retain more of its value over time. And who knows, we might not live long enough to spend the money anyway!
I have #133. I also considered putting my Bonnie away for investment but, as you have, I've reconsidered. I have 4 other late model street bikes but the urge to ride the Bonneville was just too strong. I made some ramps so I can ride it in and out my front door though so I can keep the bike in our media room. Keeping it inside gives me the incentive to keep it in pristine condition. I've owned it since Sept. and have only ridden it 600 (very fun) miles. In comparison, I bought my Rocket III this last April and have ridden it 6,000 miles. In the same time I've ridden my other bikes about 3,000 miles.
I'm very fortunate to have a wife that appreciates our bikes and loves riding on the back. We've been married 40 years and she's been riding with me 43 years.

Day-3---b.jpg

I've made additional, simple to undo changes since this photo was taken:

12-20-08-a.jpg

I must say, seeing some of the mods you're made to your Bonnie has inspired me to copy a few of them.
I installed a Monza filler cap today.
A 150 rear tire, tank badges and removing reflectors is next.

Mods so far:

Corbin seat
Progressive 418 shocks
chrome chain guard
1.25" Gen-Mar risers
Norman Hyde Togas
Richer fuel map uploaded
Kuryakyn blue dot tri bar headlamp
Monza fuel filler

Not all of my mods. have been made to make it appear more vintage. I also wanted to make it more comfortable and fun to ride.
I'm 60 and this bike makes me feel like a kid again. :D

uk59

Scooter
Ned
I received tank badges today and removed the stick-on badge. Guess what? The tank on my 50th Anniversary Bonnie does not have holes for the screws!!!

Neducati

Two Stroke
Ned
I received tank badges today and removed the stick-on badge. Guess what? The tank on my 50th Anniversary Bonnie does not have holes for the screws!!!

Good morning David-

That REALLY sucks! I wonder if your situation is a fluke (for example, if someone in the factory pulled the wrong part) or whether all new Bonnies will be sans screwholes.

I expected the new standard Bonneville with the painted on tank logo to have no badge screwholes, but maybe none of the new Bonnies will have them from this point forward. Time will tell.

Ned

KingBear

Hooligan
This gets back to an issue I raised a long time ago...

Could Triumph be so incredibly stupid as to spend tons of money developing and promoting a line of accessories (Sixty-8) including tank badges, then change their bikes so as not to accept those accessories?

Answer: Apparently so.

uk59

Scooter
Xchoppers my bonnie is #469

Neducati, I bet there will be no more tanks with badge holes in the future since it's not likely Mr. Bloor will produce two tanks because of the cost of his inventory. If anyone wants to add classic tank badges they should buy them now. I expect they will disappear over time.

KingBear, something else will come along to replace it. The course has been set if my bonnie's tank isn't a fluke.