"Fixing" the 2009 Bonneville T100 50th Anniversary model

Texas94fs

Hooligan
very tasty indeed!! whats the story on the headers of the bike in the background, those bends look alot sharper (closer to 90) than i've seen?!

Neducati

Two Stroke
I believe the new headers are larger because they are double-walled, so the ID is the same as the old single-walled headers. This was done to prevent bluing, not improve performance.

The new headers are not double walled, they are single walled with larger OD, perhaps to minimize bluing or maybe just to move more air out of the lungs.

very tasty indeed!! whats the story on the headers of the bike in the background, those bends look alot sharper (closer to 90) than i've seen?!

The customized 2004 Bonneville T100 (Project '61) has a full Specialty Spares exhaust system on it, which was very expensive at the time. I noticed their prices are about half of what they used to be.

2004TriumphBonnevilleT100c.jpg

I like those rear shocks, what are they? Do they change the stance at all?

--Oxblood

The shocks on both bikes are standard Hagon Classic shocks which you can get from Mike at www.bellacorse.com. You can order them in a variety of lengths, but if you get the stock length, there is no difference in the ride height. I buy them for the look, not to improve on or change the bike's handling. The handling sucks compared to a sport bike anyway, but I don't buy Bonnies for handling or performance. I just like they way they look, and it's fun to tool around on them.

hagonshocks01.jpg

Last edited:

Rocker

Two Stroke
Lovely 'bikes, make me wish that I had a couple more Bonnevilles. Could pick one for whatever mood I was in.
Aren't the new pipes larger diameter because at some point/country they have cat.converters in them?

Neducati

Two Stroke
Lovely 'bikes, make me wish that I had a couple more Bonnevilles. Could pick one for whatever mood I was in.
Aren't the new pipes larger diameter because at some point/country they have cat.converters in them?

Thanks Hedge and Rocker.

The larger diameter headers may be for the cats, since the silencers on the 2009 US Bonnies have catalytic converters in them.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Suh-weet Bonnie ya got there, mate. Tell me about the tank badge. I take it that the holes for the pre-09 Bonnies are still there lurking under the stick on badges.

I have a '09 (#146), but so far she's a dining room queen.. Seeing yours makes me want to reconsider.

Neducati

Two Stroke
Suh-weet Bonnie ya got there, mate. Tell me about the tank badge. I take it that the holes for the pre-09 Bonnies are still there lurking under the stick on badges.

I have a '09 (#146), but so far she's a dining room queen.. Seeing yours makes me want to reconsider.

Thanks Chris.

Dining room queen? That sounds wrong!

The tank badges are your standard Triumph accessory "Classic" badges that you can buy from any Triumph dealer or online. They're a pretty close match to the so called "mouth organ" or "garden gate" badges that came on the '59 Bonnie and were used through 1965 when they were replaced with the "eyebrow" badge used in 1966 through 1968, which was a close match to the nice badges Triumph used to put on modern T100 Bonnevilles.

The holes are still in the larger '08 and '09 tanks, under the now standard issue plastic stick-on badges. For a more vintage look, I didn't use the rubber bases that come with the tank badges.

I too considered just putting the 50th Anniversary model in my foyer and never riding it in the hope that it will retain more value if it becomes a collectable bike, but decided that life is too short to forgo the enjoyment of riding a motorcycle that you love just so it will retain more of its value over time. And who knows, we might not live long enough to spend the money anyway!

On the other hand, in today's economy, investing in a collectable motorcycle might be safer and smarter than having your money in a 401(k) that is wasting away in the stock market. (Sorry Hedge).

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Thanks Chris.

Dining room queen? That sounds wrong!

Yeah, I know.. believe me, every time I look at it, I want to take it outside.. but I'm strong, and I have a few other bikes to ride, so we'll have to wait a while for that.

The holes are still in the larger '08 and '09 tanks, under the now standard issue plastic stick-on badges. For a more vintage look, I didn't use the rubber bases that come with the tank badges.

I too considered just putting the 50th Anniversary model in my foyer and never riding it in the hope that it will retain more value if it becomes a collectable bike, but decided that life is too short to forgo the enjoyment of riding a motorcycle that you love just so it will retain more of its value over time. And who knows, we might not live long enough to spend the money anyway!

On the other hand, in today's economy, investing in a collectable motorcycle might be safer and smarter than having your money in a 401(k) that is wasting away in the stock market. (Sorry Hedge).

Thanks for the info on the tank badge holes. I suspected as much.

My 401K is tied up in the market.. I guess I'll have to work until I'm 74 now.. :w

TheBBR

Scooter
I didn't use the rubber bases that come with the tank badges.

Aren't you worried about the badge grinding the paint off, or did you do something to prevent this? When I took my stock badges off there were a couple chips where the badge had cut through the rubber. The bike looks sweet and the first thing I noticed was how nice the badges look without the rubber. I have the same ones on my bike.

A

Neducati

Two Stroke
Aren't you worried about the badge grinding the paint off, or did you do something to prevent this? When I took my stock badges off there were a couple chips where the badge had cut through the rubber. The bike looks sweet and the first thing I noticed was how nice the badges look without the rubber. I have the same ones on my bike.

A

No, that doesn't really concern me. The badges are where they are now and they aren't moving against the paint, because the tank doesn't really flex. Besides, all the old bikes have some sort of mark or indentation in the tank paint from the tank badges.

Neducati

Two Stroke
What signals are you using?
thanks
Bob

Bob-

The indicators are the "Tracker" indicators from Mecatwin in France. I like their design and they have sturdy aluminum bodies, rather than plastic (like those supplied by Triumph). They come in either a brushed and clear coated or a black powedercoated finish. For the front ones, I disassembled the stock indicators, pulled off the two wires, and removed the wires from the Mecatwin indicators, so I could use the stock wiring and not have to get inside the headlight wiring (which is a rat's nest if you've ever been in there).

http://www.mecatwin.com/en/accessoires/triumph/bonneville/electricite.htm

Hedge

American Infidel
Ned - I'm wondering why we didn't see you at Carlise last summer? You don't live that far away from there. It would have been nice to meet you. Maybe you can swing the 2009 Bennington Triumph Bash next May. You won't regret going to it.