"Fixing" the 2009 Bonneville T100 50th Anniversary model

Neducati

Two Stroke
Both are beautiful bikes!

You mentioned Mecatwin earlier (regarding your indicators). Would you school a Brother on how to get those guys to respond to email or more importantly how you ordered from them.

I constructed an email in English, then went to an online translater and translated the message to French, and emailed Mecatwin at the address shown on their website. A few days later I received a reply (in English) from the owner. I guess he realized that I didn't really know French anyway. I ordered the parts via email, gave them my credit card information and was pleasantly surprised that the parts were delivered shortly thereafter.

Good luck!

Ned

sportyone

Street Tracker
I constructed an email in English, then went to an online translater and translated the message to French, and emailed Mecatwin at the address shown on their website. A few days later I received a reply (in English) from the owner. I guess he realized that I didn't really know French anyway. I ordered the parts via email, gave them my credit card information and was pleasantly surprised that the parts were delivered shortly thereafter.

Good luck!

Ned

yes well it took a while for them to answer me too, then their prices were such that I'm planning to rob a bank to pay for them, I reckon there must be indicator sets off other brand bikes that would look hot and I guess cheaper too ?
any thoughts ??
:shh:

Neducati

Two Stroke
I reckon there must be indicator sets off other brand bikes that would look hot and I guess cheaper too?
any thoughts ??
:shh:

Maybe, maybe not. I scoured the internet far and wide in search of aftermarket indicators that were well made and had the look I wanted. The Mecatwin-X Trackers were the only ones I liked. Yes, they are silly expensive, and can be a pain in the ass to buy, but they are made of heavy cast aluminum and have a very pleasing shape and proportion compared to some of the Buck Rogers type silver cone indicators that the factories are putting on their fine bikes - including the stock Triumph Bonneville blinkers.

sportyone

Street Tracker
Maybe, maybe not. I scoured the internet far and wide in search of aftermarket indicators that were well made and had the look I wanted. The Mecatwin-X Trackers were the only ones I liked. Yes, they are silly expensive, and can be a pain in the ass to buy, but they are made of heavy cast aluminum and have a very pleasing shape and proportion compared to some of the Buck Rogers type silver cone indicators that the factories are putting on their fine bikes - including the stock Triumph Bonneville blinkers.

WHAT ABOUT SOME BLINKERS OFF THE TRIPLES OR DAYTONAS ETC, THEY'RE SMALL AND QUITE COMPACT, NOT SURE ABOUT PRICE THOUGH ?

CHEERS :shh:

Neducati

Two Stroke
WHAT ABOUT SOME BLINKERS OFF THE TRIPLES OR DAYTONAS ETC, THEY'RE SMALL AND QUITE COMPACT, NOT SURE ABOUT PRICE THOUGH ?

CHEERS :shh:

It's an idea. They're nice looking, but are made of plastic and I find them too modern looking for the retro Bonnie (particularly with their clear lenses and amber bulbs).

I think the vintage Lucas blinkers were ugly when they came out in the '70s and are still ugly! But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about them . . .

biker7

Banned
One of the reasons I didn't purchase a 50th anniv. bike is I knew I would be modifying it to improve it and that would detract from its originality. Further, there was no performance differential and I am not completely enamored with the paint scheme. Before I even rode my '09 bike, I remove the lights. I am in fact on my third set. The look has to be just right for me and I have found the lights that look right at last. Fronts are lowered into Thruxton position with blank out plates. Rears are position next to the shocks. Early bonnevilles had rear lights decoupled from the tail light as well and I believe this looks best. They are brushed aluminum and 23 watts and therefore bright. They are the correct size and shape for the bike...not too small and not too big. They also don't stick out.
They do what they are supposed to and meld into the design of the bike maintaining its retro character.
Here are some pics...they are called large signals made by British Customs:
Rear light is typical Lucas which looks correct for the bike as well. As to lense color...I believe amber is the right color for the T100.
Cheers,
George

BonnieRHSfullResize.jpg

BonnieFront1Resize.jpg

BonnieRearResize.jpg

Last edited:

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
One of the reasons I didn't purchase a 50th anniv. bike is I knew I would be modifying it to improve it and that would detract from its originality. Further, there was no performance differential and I am not completely enamored with the paint scheme. Before I even rode my '09 bike, I remove the lights. I am in fact on my third set. The look has to be just right for me and I have found the lights that look right at last. Fronts are lowered into Thruxton position with blank out plates. Rears are position next to the shocks. Early bonnevilles had rear lights decoupled from the tail light as well and I believe this looks best. They are brushed aluminum and 23 watts and therefore bright. They are the correct size and shape for the bike...not too small and not too big. They also don't stick out.
They do what they are supposed to and meld into the design of the bike maintaining its retro character.
Rear light is typical Lucas which looks correct for the bike as well. As to lense color...I believe amber is the right color for the T100.
Cheers,
George

BonnieRHSfullResize.jpg

That bike is too pretty to ride!:worthy:

Jim :cool:

sportyone

Street Tracker
Cheers,
George

BonnieRHSfullResize.jpg

BonnieFront1Resize.jpg

BonnieRearResize.jpg

yep, nice bike, yes they the blinkers do look good, how difficult was it to fit the lucas tail light and the build quality?
do you have to drill your guard :shh:

ivar

TT Racer
yep, nice bike, yes they the blinkers do look good, how difficult was it to fit the lucas tail light and the build quality?
do you have to drill your guard :shh:

Just got an Emgo "Lucas" tail light, speculatin' om how to best fit it to the stock fender without looking to awkward...?
(Got an extra fender that I've cut down a bit)

biker7

Banned
Thanks for the comments on my bike. I have had it in pieces a few times now...most recently revising the cluster lights to LED and removing the AI. I installed Tors and the EFI motor for the time being is stock. Would like to next go Nikasil big bore kit and 813 cams but honestly, it runs nicely the way it is.
I did a write up for installing running lights on the Rat forum including drilling the rear fender for the correct placement of the Lucas rear light. There is a lot of speculation...with plug and play kits as well. I wanted to locate the rear light precisely and also make the rear harness myself so no plug and play kit.
Hope this helps...the signals I now have on the bike look more correct but they aren't dual filament which is OK. I could install a run turn module and convert them if I want both run and turn functionality from a single filament.
Cheers,
George
link to light install:
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/105297-how-to-install-bonny-running-lights.html

Neducati

Two Stroke
Cheers,
George

George-

All the mods I did to my '09 50th Anniversary Edition can easily be removed and the bike can be restored to original, since all the mods are bolt on parts and I keep the stock parts in labeled packaging out of harm's way.

I like your blinker solution better than most others I've seen. I too like the brushed aluminum look with amber lenses, which is why I went with the Mecatwin Tracker blinkers on my Project '61 Bonneville (which began life as a dark blue '04 T100):

2004TriumphBonnevilleT100h.jpg

2004TriumphBonnevilleT100j.jpg

Ned

What will the future want?

I have yet to see the Anniversary in Meridan blue in the flesh, so to speak. Its funny to think the 59 was made only in orange and due to dislike of colour they produced a blue version, and in fact resprayed some orange bikes blue at the factory. Now everyone wants an orange 59.
Now with the Anniversary model everyone seems to be buying the orange. I wonder in the future what one will be more sought after?

biker7

Banned
Ned,
You have an artists eye is all I can say.
Your bike looks outstanding.
Best,
George
PS: I love that you filled the rear fender to eliminate the reflector and yet left the rear fender full length.
Can you briefly describe the process you used to flatten where the reflector was?

Last edited:

Clarke

Scooter
Ned
Your bike looks great! How do you like the seat. How is the comfort on it? I like the old two tone look to it. Thanks.

Skidmark

Scooter
50th Anniv

I am going the same way as the original poster. I also have put the original shocks off my Thruxton which seems to improve the feel and makes it look more open at the rear.
skiddy

Attachments

• DSC05074.jpg
    DSC05074.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC05072.jpg
    DSC05072.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0

sportyone

Street Tracker
George-

All the mods I did to my '09 50th Anniversary Edition can easily be removed and the bike can be restored to original, since all the mods are bolt on parts and I keep the stock parts in labeled packaging out of harm's way.

I like your blinker solution better than most others I've seen. I too like the brushed aluminum look with amber lenses, which is why I went with the Mecatwin Tracker blinkers on my Project '61 Bonneville (which began life as a dark blue '04 T100):

2004TriumphBonnevilleT100h.jpg

2004TriumphBonnevilleT100j.jpg

Ned

nice looking machine, however not keen on the tail light setup, sticks out way to far and the exposed wiring harness etc looks bad, the setup far to open for my likeing, just MHO that's all, I do though understand, different strokes for different folks etc :shh:

Neducati

Two Stroke
Ned,
You have an artists eye is all I can say.
Your bike looks outstanding.
Best,
George
PS: I love that you filled the rear fender to eliminate the reflector and yet left the rear fender full length.
Can you briefly describe the process you used to flatten where the reflector was?

Thanks George. The mounting hole/dome area at the bottom of the rear fender was ground out and the hole was filled with a steel plate welded in place. You can see the welding in the top photo I posted in this page.

Cheers!

Ned
Your bike looks great! How do you like the seat? How is the comfort on it? I like the old two tone look to it. Thanks.

Clarke - thank you. I like the look of the seat much more than its comfort. I actually find it somewhat uncomfortable for anything more than about a half hour ride. I don't do any long distance riding on the Bonnies anyway, but if I did, I'd want an aftermarket seat. I've found the King and Queen seat to be very comfortable, but not very attractive!

Ned

I am going the same way as the original poster. I also have put the original shocks off my Thruxton which seems to improve the feel and makes it look more open at the rear.
skiddy

Skiddy - re: "original poster" - that would be me. Nice mods so far.

nice looking machine, however not keen on the tail light setup, sticks out way to far and the exposed wiring harness etc looks bad, the setup far to open for my likeing, just MHO that's all, I do though understand, different strokes for different folks etc :shh:

It's ok that you don't like one or more things about the bike - we each have our own particular taste and that's a good thing. Otherwise we'd all be riding around on the same kind of bike with the same looking girl on the back going home to the same looking house. How boring would that be?

I want a '61 look for this one, and a '59 look for my 50th Aniversary model, and that is the style of tail light and number plate used during that period. The tail light wiring doesn't really show except when you get down low to shoot the photo that I did above.

Ned