Engine Removal Project

Roger

Street Tracker
So anyone know what this is? I need to order a new one.

Looks like the sending wire for the oil pressure switch. If you are replacing it only because of the rubber boot, I wouldn't bother. The rubber boot is only there as a cosmetic cover up to conceal the ring terminal. I have to cut mine off and I will leave it bare. Just brush a bit of liquid tape over the ring terminal.

Liquid Tape

The rubber boot will only cause problems in a damp environment by holding moisture in.

Hedge

American Infidel
Looks like the sending wire for the oil pressure switch. If you are replacing it only because of the rubber boot, I wouldn't bother. The rubber boot is only there as a cosmetic cover up to conceal the ring terminal. I have to cut mine off and I will leave it bare. Just brush a bit of liquid tape over the ring terminal.

Liquid Tape

The rubber boot will only cause problems in a damp environment by holding moisture in.

Thanks Roger - good tip!

Hedge

American Infidel
Lower End

So I was talking with MikenVA tonight and he recommended, as did a few of you, to have Carlos put the bottom end back together for me and he also recommended, if not to expensive, to have him fit the cylinders back on as well because sometimes they can bind up and if you have no experience with it, it could become problematic. He also agrees with replace all lubrication parts except the cooler and just dip that in gasoline, wash it afterwards in soapy water, then compress air it dry. I will clean it over paper to see if anything falls out.
He is going to clean up his PM's and rejoin the Forum. It was great catching up with him. I havent seen him since a bunch of us got together at Carlisle PA for a motorcycle swap meet about 5-6 years ago.

Roger

Street Tracker
to have him fit the cylinders back on as well because sometimes they can bind up and if you have no experience with it, it could become problematic.

MikenVA has a point there. Being a twin engine, you are trying to fit two pistons at the same time. It could be problematic. A broken ring could be a possibility. Easy to fix but if you don't catch it, big problems.

Hedge

American Infidel
MikenVA has a point there. Being a twin engine, you are trying to fit two pistons at the same time. It could be problematic. A broken ring could be a possibility. Easy to fix but if you don't catch it, big problems.

Point taken :flag:

Roger

Street Tracker
Gonna throw you another curve ball here. Your Neutral Position Switch lives under your transmission. Is that where the oil leak came from? If it got too hot, did it seperate internally and leak oil? Possibly?

Just a thought. I know mine leaks but not enough to really worry about it. I do have a couple oil spots where the bike parks. One is from the sprocket cover (too much chain oil) and the other is from the neutral switch.

Hedge

American Infidel
Gonna throw you another curve ball here. Your Neutral Position Switch lives under your transmission. Is that where the oil leak came from? If it got too hot, did it seperate internally and leak oil? Possibly?

Just a thought. I know mine leaks but not enough to really worry about it. I do have a couple oil spots where the bike parks. One is from the sprocket cover (too much chain oil) and the other is from the neutral switch.

No it was more near the top of the lower end. This engine never leaked a single drop of oil from day one.

Roger

Street Tracker
Okay. I thought I read in one of your previous posts that when this all started, you had a pool of oil under the bike.

Oh wait. Cam cover gasket? If so, no worry now as you are putting new gaskets in anyhow.

Hedge

American Infidel
Okay. I thought I read in one of your previous posts that when this all started, you had a pool of oil under the bike.

Oh wait. Cam cover gasket? If so, no worry now as you are putting new gaskets in anyhow.
You are correct - at the end there was a pool of oil (about a cup full) below the bike. Where it came from I'm just not sure. Thats when I decided to have the dealership find it for me and the rest we all know! :)

Hedge

American Infidel
Update - Parts ordered

Since all parts dealers offer the same price on parts i figured i would order them out of state to save on taxes and get free S&H. I decided to do buisness with Hermy's in Pennsylvania. Hermy himself, Alex from Parts and Randy from Service were all very helpful in filling exactly what I needed. As a matter of fact when I talked with Randy from Service he told me of an identical over heating accident exactly like mine. The guy was idling his motorcycle in the driveway with the choke on and got a phone call which he went inside for and lost track of time. When he came out the engine was smoking like mine. He brought it down to Hermy's and when they opened it up both his plastic gears were melted into a small ball and the pickup strainer melted like mine and caved in. We talked in depth about what I found on the inside when I opened it up and took into account that it only has 11000 miles on it. He agreed with everyone that since the engine is open that all bearings up and down should be replaced and he is a big fan of doing it right with platigage method just to be sure. We pulled the phish pictures and went over the parts together and he said that he is sure that in the lubrication system all the hoses and Banjo bolts are fine because they can withstand way more heat then the heat that did the damage. So i passed on them. I bought 2 new oil pumps, 2 gears with circlips, all washers and o rings and a new pressure release valve. I then bought all new crush washers for the oil cooler. I bought the correct cam chain for $98 and also the Triumph Factory Complete Engine Rebuild kit which has every gasket, washer and o ring i will need. That alone is $285. I also bought a new chrome air pipe and the 2 rubber rings that attach at eah end. The old one looked horrible.
So i asked him if here was anything else he thought I should order in parts or tools to put this back together and he said the only other thing he would recommend buying is the ignition sensor. He said that extreme heat could kill this part. What would happen is that after riding the bike and it gets to a certain temp the engine will cut out. If you wait 15-20 min on the side of the road it will restart after cooling but will continue to cut out until replaced. He said it might not be damaged but for $78 do you want to take the chance and aggravation? So i bought it. All in on parts delivered to my home is $985
Meanwhile Carlos is going to plastigage and then order all bearings for the top and bottom. After the bottm is completed i will find out how much extra to put the block on. Im thinking that i can probably handle checking the valves and should become familiar with the process. Thats it for now!

Roger

Street Tracker
That's quite the list of parts and gaskets. At least you are on your way to getting the engine back together. An undesired mishap but you have gained some good knowledge from it. I have known a few people that wouldn't venture this far into a repair. Scary as it was, you still managed to get it to this point. Now, if this was a BMW S1000RR, that would have been a whole different ball game. The simplicity of the twin engines makes them so much easier to work on. These engines are in fact simpler to work on than the original vintage Bonnevilles.

If you want some insight into what the old bikes are like, there is a guy named John in the UK. He has a whole slew of videos on Youtube. Google lunmad. I really like his engine rebuild vids and his ride vids. You thought this engine would be difficult? Have a look at his rebuild vids when you get a chance. Those old bikes require a whole different set of rules. But when all is said and done, it is all mechanical ability.

Glad you are on your way to wrapping this up. Well before spring kicks in too. :)

Hedge

American Infidel
That's quite the list of parts and gaskets. At least you are on your way to getting the engine back together. An undesired mishap but you have gained some good knowledge from it. I have known a few people that wouldn't venture this far into a repair. Scary as it was, you still managed to get it to this point. Now, if this was a BMW S1000RR, that would have been a whole different ball game. The simplicity of the twin engines makes them so much easier to work on. These engines are in fact simpler to work on than the original vintage Bonnevilles.

If you want some insight into what the old bikes are like, there is a guy named John in the UK. He has a whole slew of videos on Youtube. Google lunmad. I really like his engine rebuild vids and his ride vids. You thought this engine would be difficult? Have a look at his rebuild vids when you get a chance. Those old bikes require a whole different set of rules. But when all is said and done, it is all mechanical ability.

Glad you are on your way to wrapping this up. Well before spring kicks in too. :)
Thanks Roger - your were instrumental in coaching me!