Help, Exhaust pipe burned up!

Ben S

Scooter
I went for a ride today about 45 miles and everything is fine. I splatted some bugs through the farm fields so I stopped at a car wash with pressure washers for a buck.
I rinsed off the bugs, nothing else, didnt even spray water into the muffler pipes or anything. just rinsed off the bugs.
I tried to take off and the bike is making like zero power...full throttle in 1st and I'm making 35mph. As I pull up to stop sign it tries to stall out, but makes it through. I live 2 miles down the road so I head for home.
When I get home and get off the bike, it smells funny.
I look at the bike and my right side muffler is GLOWING cherry red!
The paint has burned off the side of the bike and my leather saddlebags are probably ruined.
The bike is a 2010 T-100 EFI with 6000 miles on it.
Thank god my wife didn't ride with me today!
Any ideas?
Ben S

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Maybe one of those vacuum plugs came off and you're mixing air in which is making it super lean on that side - no power and extra heat?

Bigted

Two Stroke
Jazus...that sounds nasty, hope you get it figured out. Lucky you're still under warranty (I'm assuming). I'd like to hear what the problem was when you find out.
Good luck.

Ben S

Scooter
Well...

The bike only has 5000 (ed typo 6000) miles on it since new, but the dealership is saying its over the time limit. I talked to the mech and will be bringing it to them on Tuesday. He seemed to think the baffle broke loose and turned inside the pipes.
Hope so, cause if it is something more expensive I'll be bummed.
Ben S

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Yep... 2 years from original date of purchase. HOWEVER... (my 2 cents coming)... if that particular dealer is unscrupulous enough to tell you your warranty is up (yea right... they would definitely know better) then unfortunately I imagine they'll find some other way out. Best of luck, and I really hope I'm wrong. So let us know how it goes.

cynr1023

TT Racer
I'd recommend reporting the dealer if he told you your warranty was up. Hopefully you have another dealer not too far away.

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
Could be the coil - I had the same problem with my Scrambler after washing it. Water was getting in the connectors at the front coil causing me to drop a cylinder. Left me with a lovely blue spot on the top exhaust. I know you guys only have one coil, but it may be water pooling in the spark pluggy bit causing a short at the HT lead. Try taking your leads off, give 'em a good squirt of WD40, fill both ends with dielectric grease and you should be fine.

Ben S

Scooter
Well I finally got my bike all squared away!

I brought it to the dealership up in Chandler, they have a Mech named Kyle who is one of the most professional and knowledgeable guys I have ever worked with on bikes. First thing he did was put a video camera up the tail pipe and showed me you could clearly see the baffle had broken its welds and shifted sideways in the pipe effectively blocking the gasses exit. We looked up the bikes age and mileage and it was still covered under warranty so I wouldn't need to pay for the repairs which was a major relief. I also wanted him to install a 19 tooth sprocket because most of my driving is on long straight stretches of highway.
Well they replaced the muffler and my saddle bags and put on the new sprocket. The only complaint was that the new saddle bags were different apparently because Triumph no longer made the ones I had. The new ones sucked SO bad (smaller,no fastex fastners and gay looking) I asked him if he still had my other ones to put back on. He did and they weren't really damaged just warped on the bottom from the heat. I took the bike for a quick trip around town before driving back to Yuma in the intense heat of the afternoon. At least I had dressed proper for the trip. The bike is running great and the new sprocket was awesome! takes a little bit off the bottom but riding on the highway was WAY more comfortable. Best way I can describe it is instead of having 1 through 5th gear I have about 1.5 through 6th gear now. I highly recommend it. Also It appears I was getting better gas milage from it(a little).
What did I learn? Well I will NEVER use a pressure washer on a hot bike again and I should have gotten a different sprocket 5000 miles ago! And Triumph needs to take a hard look at their new accessories before changing them!
Ben S

Skeeter

Rocker
awesome to hear it worked out, i installed the 19 tooth on my thrux when i moved to AZ, makes a world of differnce.
god bless you for living in frickin Yuma, i drove thru there last week and at 10pm it was still 108. ill keep sierra vista

Ben S

Scooter
Skeeter..

God bless me?.....well sometimes I'm not sure that is the correct Deity which has given me his attention to drive 3 hours at 2:00 in the afternoon to Yuma!
But I get the idea! Thanks
Ben S

Skeeter

Rocker
God bless me?.....well sometimes I'm not sure that is the correct Deity which has given me his attention to drive 3 hours at 2:00 in the afternoon to Yuma!
But I get the idea! Thanks
Ben S

all im sayin Ben is its hot in Yuma and our air cooled bikes are not fun to sit on at a red light in 107 degree weather. but keep on trucking sir

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
It's good to a hear a positive customer service story and glad it could get sorted out for you. +1 on the oil temp gauge...I use one as well just to have a piece of mind.