Bonny Rival Kawasaki W800 is Real

KingBear

Hooligan
The W800 is new this year, a follow-up to the W650 which was only imported into the U.S. for a couple of years and was discontinued altogether in 2006 or 2007. We may yet see the W800 I'm the U.S. but only if Kawa thinks they can go head to head with Triumph, which I think they can. They primed the market for the modern Bonneville, and I think if they price it right the W can hold its own in this retro-crazed market.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I say bring more choice in the market. This time Triumph won't let their guard down and be out done by a better made bike and I (the consumer) receive the benefit from this of a competitive market as I move on to my third Trumpet in the shed :D

geolpilot

Street Tracker
Back in the early 70s when I had a Triumph Daytona with an engine that I had to work on all of the time and very frequent valve jobs, I sure wished that it had that 400+cc Honda engine in it.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Make that two things that are totally usless. Well........ at least you can ride the Kawaski

:piss:

Next to you, I'm a fuckin fragrant rose. :finger: You can stuff your typical Rats Nester :sheephqr:attitude. If you don't like the opinion, tough shit buckwheat!

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

Jeff may seem like a dick, but I've gotta give it to him.. the man knows how to use his emoticons.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Hahaha....yeah Jeff is pretty good with those.

Personally I would be interested to hear more from somebody who actually buys and gets some good ride time on the Kawi. Rather than all the assumptions.

I don't think there will be issues with after market parts, etc... Also plenty of the Japanese bikes from the 70's and 80's (Honda CB's, Kawi WX650, etc..) are still going strong and make the foundation for a pretty good cafe bike.

I like options in the market and if it means that Kawi pulls me away from my Triumph then its possible they did a better job.

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
Got no use or need for :piss:cheap JAP junk. It belongs in the shit can with the rest of the Big Fours attempts over the years. Easy to see why some get all worked up over nothing. No history, no nostalgia, no aftermarket, hence no following. If your after a JAP copy then your not after the real thing, which makes it even more redundant. Just maybe if the people who thought it was such a rival went an bought one would finally realized it ain't a Triumph, then they'd quit talking about it like it is.

Another overdone topic from the Rats Nest. Pretty sad when you've got to attempt to compare a JAP to a Brit bike. Kinda like buying a Pepsi when you really want a Coke. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth and you still want a Coke afterwards.

Cheers
So this "Cheap Jap junk" is what buried the great British motorcycle industry in the '70s.
They must have been doing something right all this time. Don't get me wrong, I own three Triumphs, two Meriden, and one Hinkley. I love Brit bikes, but of the three, the 06 Scram is the only one that has superior build quality to the run of the mill Jap bike. Mike

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
So this "Cheap Jap junk" is what buried the great British motorcycle industry in the '70s.
They must have been doing something right all this time. Don't get me wrong, I own three Triumphs, two Meriden, and one Hinkley. I love Brit bikes, but of the three, the 06 Scram is the only one that has superior build quality to the run of the mill Jap bike. Mike

My Japanese bikes have always been of outstanding quality. The Japanese reinvented motorcycle building and they made it so competitive that we now enjoy quality across the board.

JRMSR

Scooter

The British Motorcycle Industry died because of poor business choices and bad investments. The Japanese motorcycle industry had very little to do with it. Go read your history.

Show me one Japanese Twin that's lasted the test of time like the; Ducati, Moto Guzzi, BMW, Norton, and Triumph. These motorcycles have a history, heart and nostalgia. The Japanese attempted to copy every twin design and compete and they couldn't. They even copied an inline 4 and eventually manfactured the CB750 which brought them to the fore front of the industry. Twins have always been the core of these companies business and still are. It's never been for the Japanese and they wouldn't have survived.

Bottomline, this is about Triumph motorcycles and venerable cafe bikes. If you think a JAP copy is the way to go then buy one, when and if it's available. Stick a Triumph emblem on it and keep telling yourself it's a better motorcycle.

Rival my arse. You'd better hope a performance aftermarket immerges. At it's current proposed production specs, it's going to be a real TURD.
Could you actually see a reputable performance builder like TPUSA actually producing performance parts for it..................(Not in a million years, comes to mind pretty quick.) If they won't then it's not worth having.
Pretty :lame: is how I would best describe this topic. Not one of you know if and when it will be available. You don't know where it will be sold and even if it will make it out of Japan. It's just pure speculation, nothing more. If the Kawaski W650 is any past indicator, this one will flop also. The motorcycle industry doesn't run on speculation, it's profit that's king.

Cheers

Last edited:

strokerlmt

JRMSR....its you presentation. You can have an opinion without the attack mentality. I'm guessing you are in your 20'ssssss.
LMT

Kirkus51

Hooligan
My dear brother is a fan of T500s. He has two, one of which he forgot he had.......for almost 20 years. He picked the bike up, put fresh gas in it and a new battery. Started in three kicks. The japanese know how to build bikes and they do innovate, even in their retro bikes.

I'm just a bit sad that the retro bikes they're making are not making it to the shores of the U.S. Not that I'd actually get one, my bonnie is way too fun, but I'd like to see em on showroom floors.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
It's when people start giving me their advice...

I think LMT was just trying to give you some friendly advice that you might not have been aware that you come off like a hot-headed punk-ass kid with an ax to grind with everybody, just to show you know how to run the grinder.

Maybe that works just fine for you at your day job, but this is a friendly forum and more to the point is a PRIVATE forum, and if you wanna flaunt the rules, you'll find yourself flaming on some other site, that's all.

I'm in particular referring to the rule that states "No douches".

Nobody will deny your right to walk the walk and talk the talk, but if you actually want to contribute to/derive benefit from this forum, a bit more respect for the others will go a lot farther than running off your mouth.

Cheers!

p.s. The apostrophe in your tag line is grammatically incorrect, in that it either indicates a contraction of "other is" and "So other is may live" doesn't make sense, or it indicates the possessive of "other" as in 'belonging to' in which case it should read "So other's ____ may live", where you fill in the blank with that possession of the 'others' that you are saving. Not that you care, of course.

Last edited:
p.s. The apostrophe in your tag line is grammatically incorrect, in that it either indicates a contraction of "other is" and "So other is may live" doesn't make sense, or it indicates the possessive of "other" as in 'belonging to' in which case it should read "So other's ____ may live", where you fill in the blank with that possession of the 'others' that you are saving. Not that you care, of course.

A man after my own heart, BlueJ.

JRMSR, haven't you already been banned from this forum once? Or was that Triumphrat, or both? You are a dick, dude. At least you sure try hard to come off that way.

JRMSR

Scooter
My beloved Triumphs were made in UK my friend.

Nobody will deny your right to walk the walk and talk the talk, but if you actually want to contribute to/derive benefit from this forum, a bit more respect for the others will go a lot farther than running off your mouth.

Really, I wasn't douche bag who initiated and started the shit slinging. Go back and read posts 124 and 128 and then direct your advice to those who require it.....

Maybe, if you'd learn to practice the same advice you're so ready to purvey on others, then you'll be treated in kind. Until then you want respect, give it.
JRMSR, haven't you already been banned from this forum once? Or was that Triumphrat, or both? You are a dick, dude. At least you sure try hard to come off that way.

First time I've been a member here. Yea I got banned until November from the Rats Nest for standing up against an admins and moderators discriminatory bullshit. At least I got the guts to stand up for what I know is right and for people who are being bullied, what of it? You're one to talk Jeff, with all the shit you sling at other people. I've read it for quite a few years on both forums and you continue to.
Cheers

Last edited:

JRMSR

Scooter
Hmm, I don't see everyone on this forum calling me out for being a dick. You sure got called out though.

Not really, it's pretty lame all things considered. Calling someone a dick on the Internet is kind of like pissing in the wind but it makes you the man, doesn't it Jeff.

Sometimes people don't have to say it, just think it. I've been called worse. Won't be the first time and sure won't be the last. How about you?

Cheers

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Sweat, I don't think you're a dick. In my opinion you're more of the friendly neighborhood (NBR) asshole. :D You're going to give your opinion and shoot it straight without worrying about candy-coating it. That's what I like about you though (no homo). Always willing to lend advice and you've kept my head on straight about my bikes more than once. I'm glad to have your help!

JRMSR, sorry I said you seemed like a dick. Seeing how well you've been interacting with others, I'll bet your an incredibly chipper individual to be around.

PS you really do have incredible emoticon usage working for you.

Oh yea.. W800
http://youtu.be/86q1KTb0V4Y

Last edited: