Bonny Rival Kawasaki W800 is Real

JRMSR

Scooter
Apology accepted but I've been known to be a dick plain and simple. Now, I'm not quite sure just how to take that after the pasting I just got?

To many years in the military has kind of made me a bit rough around the edges.

Hell, my wife's called me a dick a few times and she's a right proper lady too. She spent the same amount of time in the military also, so I guess she used to it? Go figure!

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer

After living in England for several years, there is still one thing I cannot get over...and that is how brutal they are towards their own! Holy shit! Granted...I own two Bonnies so it is safe to say I AM biased towards Trumpets. But I have seen and ridden this Kawi and this guy is full of shit...the level of detailing is not leaps and bounds over what Triumph is producing on their bikes. He makes it seem as if this W800 is rolling off the floor in 24K gold or something. Absolutely brutal on their own...unbelievable!!

JRMSR

Scooter
After living in England for several years, there is still one thing I cannot get over...and that is how brutal they are towards their own! Holy shit! Granted...I own two Bonnies so it is safe to say I AM biased towards Trumpets. But I have seen and ridden this Kawi and this guy is full of shit...the level of detailing is not leaps and bounds over what Triumph is producing on their bikes. He makes it seem as if this W800 is rolling off the floor in 24K gold or something. Absolutely brutal on their own...unbelievable!!

I got to agree. I was stationed there in the early 80's. I think it has something to do with the bitterness of the past and the personal British pride that was lost when the British manufactures originally went under. Could be wrong here but that's the way it seemed. Only a few of the old diehards from my generation rode them.

Cheers

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
It's not just Bonnies though; I have seen the Brit press rip apart the other models as well. The massive amounts of good reviews Triumph gets are usually from other countries, across the pond and mainland Europe. With that said, I was definitely snubbed by a lot of the "other" Bonnie riders. My bike was in the 50th anniversary at Gaydon and you could see it plain as day...the attitude of the Meriden folks towards the Hinckley Trumpets. I never did understand that...would they be happier if the westmidlands did not have production back and not have a world famous Brit bike back in business??

This might be bad to say but I could see the W800 doing well in the UK just from the attitudes that I personally noticed. Granted, that is just my take on things and by no means some researched pulse of the biking public of the UK

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
I won't deny that the "Made in U.K." is part of the appeal of my Bonneville, and of course mine is an '06 so it actually was. I like the marque and the heritage. But there are a lot of things on the W I wish my Bonnie had...

Straight pipes (no upward kink)
Metal fenders and side covers, and chrome
Standard features like gaiters and centre stand
Less blocky looking cylinders

I could go on and I have elsewhere. Many feel that the W is more an authentic reproduction of the classic roadster than the Trumpet, and I think in styling queues the W hits more closely, but the Bonnie seems to have the edge in performance. I wouldn't trade my T100 for a W, but I think one of each would be nice.

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
I don't know KingBear, just the thought of riding a Kawi and thinking of it as a Triumph is rather aaahhh strange maybe? Although I like the Kawi's and think they are an excellent bike it just somehow wouldn't seem the same as riding on my Bonneville.
I'll further that comparison by stating the difference between the classic 650's and the newer ones is also somewhat of a paradox as well all in all there is still nothing quite like throwing a leg over a classic Triumph and twisting the throttle.
And yes, I'd love to have one of the Kawi's, just for shits and grins....and fun at the stoplights and filling stations...."Hey, what year Triumph is that?"

strokerlmt

Not really, it's pretty lame all things considered. Calling someone a dick on the Internet is kind of like pissing in the wind but it makes you the man, doesn't it Jeff.

Sometimes people don't have to say it, just think it. I've been called worse. Won't be the first time and sure won't be the last. How about you?

Cheers

JRMSR, if you read through some of the other threads here you will see that Sweatmachine has a straight way of presenting without attacking or pissing people off. I respect straight talk with knowledge of course. I back off from people who aggressively get in your face thinking that, that makes the point stick better. IMHO it does not. I read through one of your posts and edited out all the grinding and it was a good read. You would enjoy life here if the grind was dropped, up to you.
LMT

koifarm

Hooligan
JRMSR, if you read through some of the other threads here you will see that Sweatmachine has a straight way of presenting without attacking or pissing people off. I respect straight talk with knowledge of course. I back off from people who aggressively get in your face thinking that, that makes the point stick better. IMHO it does not. I read through one of your posts and edited out all the grinding and it was a good read. You would enjoy life here if the grind was dropped, up to you.
LMT

:worthy:

:attn:

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Sweatmachine...I like you dude. You are always right on point.

Jeff just needs to chill a bit. BTW Jeff why does your signature have a girl riding a JAP bike doing a wheelie?

motomaniac

Street Tracker
I have a W650 and while it is fun to ride and cheap to mod here in Japan it cannot compete build-wise and performance-wise with my Triumph. The W800 is much the same. Underpowered and I suspect subject to the same problems I have had with my W650: oil leaks, weak brakes, and a small gas tank to mention just a few points. I just completed a 2500km run on my Triumph at high speeds in extreme heat carrying a load in the mountains and it never skipped a beat. Wouldn't consider doing that on my W650. If I could pick up a used T100 as cheaply here I would gladly trade.

whyme

TT Racer
Wait a minute...I'm confused. There are 2 dicks named Jeff here?? What are the chances of that!

(sorry couldn't resist)