Airbox flow testing

A stock head flows 185cfm how do we know what aussies test show for flow there is no control on flow pressure.If you cant control flow pressure you cant know what flows what.

Well we've argued this through previously elsewhere Mike so I don't see any point in recycling that argument but I will make two points.

1. There is such a thing as a floating depression flow bench and its principles of operation are very similar to those I employed in my testing. People much more knowledgeable than either you or I are of the opinion that this type of flow bench produces valid results. You might like to check out the following article by David Vizard where he describes just such a flow bench for example:-

Building a Flow Bench – Really Cheap

2. Using your own argument that flow figures without accompanying test pressures are useless then your quoted flow figure of 185cfm for a stock head is meaningless without quoting the test pressure used to produce that figure.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Mile hi

Well, us guys at a mile hi don't have much air to work with anyway. When you go up Pikes Peak or Longs Peak you just hope you get the damned things started up again. NYUK!!:cheer:

mikenva

Rocker
I am not even going to start it up here .You want to do testing with that make shift stuff go ahead.You are testing things that have all ready been done many times in these bikes years before you even had one.long before v or pieman started to play with them.Its old news not worth doing again and again.There is no down side to removeing the air box unless you dont like to hear the intake if that be the case you shouldnt be hot rodding your bike anyway just ride it and be happy.If you want to make real hp the air box must go.Simple as that ENOUGH SAID.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I am not even going to start it up here .You want to do testing with that make shift stuff go ahead.You are testing things that have all ready been done many times in these bikes years before you even had one.long before v or pieman started to play with them.Its old news not worth doing again and again.There is no down side to removeing the air box unless you dont like to hear the intake if that be the case you shouldnt be hot rodding your bike anyway just ride it and be happy.If you want to make real hp the air box must go.Simple as that ENOUGH SAID.

:mad2: The saying goes, common sense ain't common. The airbox may flow better than we think it does, but its still not comparable to no airbox and pod filters. Even the ass dyno tells you.

coopv2

Street Tracker
Go Aussie,
Great job mate.
Just to add to the information list.
My mods are... restrictor removed, uni filter, dual opening, snorkel removed, increased oval hole, (no bellmouth) Dyno results at 28.45 C*. 1028.51 mBar 41% hum and SAE 0.98
are 64.84 HP 52.81 TQ both curves fairly smooth .
only wondering how to get a small lift in TQ over 55 in the 3300-6000 rpm range.
When I have some cash I am going to try a stage 1 904 big bore, and port the heads a little. but with stock cams.
Later I will add the 39mm fcr kit. and see what that does.

coopv2

Street Tracker
I am a student of life and my head is like a sponge!

?? when pressure is applied, stuff leaks out??:banana::banana:
Just kidding S&B.
I see the merits in both the simplistic approach and the technical backup.
The main purpose of this thread was ... no one had bothered to compile ANY form of testing that gave us some comparison for air box mods, and AUSSIE filled the gap. and I felt it was good for Chris to add the tech, Not happy that you kids cant play nice.
Now go out for a ride and get it out of your system.
coop

mikenva

Rocker
Go Aussie,
Great job mate.
Just to add to the information list.
My mods are... restrictor removed, uni filter, dual opening, snorkel removed, increased oval hole, (no bellmouth) Dyno results at 28.45 C*. 1028.51 mBar 41% hum and SAE 0.98
are 64.84 HP 52.81 TQ both curves fairly smooth .
only wondering how to get a small lift in TQ over 55 in the 3300-6000 rpm range.
When I have some cash I am going to try a stage 1 904 big bore, and port the heads a little. but with stock cams.
Later I will add the 39mm fcr kit. and see what that does.
the 904 and carbs wont help much with air box in place you may get alittle but it will be dead at high rpms.The testing has been done many times on dyno runs and real flow benches .beleave what you want but the air box dont cut it on a hot rod motor.Aussie test are not true air flow test.But hey what do I know.Only worked with real flow bench for 10 years didnt learn a thing i guess.All the testing tpusa ,fast freddy and others did over the past 10 years dont mean a thing .AUSSIE HAS IT ALL FIGURED OUT LOL.

coopv2

Street Tracker
You are testing things that have all ready been done many times in these bikes years before you even had one.
Its old news not worth doing again and again..If you want to make real hp the air box must go.Simple as that ENOUGH SAID.

many of us know what your saying is true, and do not doubt the fact that Aussies test setup is not the perfect concept or the ultimate guide.
But short of searching for the information and spending hours sifting thru crap.
I for one an happy for the information in the context it was supplied. as a rough guide, for those less scientifically challenged, and interesting reading at best. And as there are always new NBR readers not aware of past postings or research on the web,
to not post these member contributions would make for a dull forum and leave no controversy to be discussed.
As it seems that some children get sand in their panties at the slightest provocation. (not directed at you)
the 904 and carbs wont help much with air box in place you may get alittle but it will be dead at high rpms.The testing has been done many times on dyno runs and real flow benches But hey what do I know.Only worked with real flow bench for 10 years didnt learn a thing i guess.All the testing tpusa ,fast freddy and others did over the past 10 years dont mean a thing .AUSSIE HAS IT ALL FIGURED OUT LOL.

I am sure no one doubts your expertise, and your years of work in the field have gifted you with a keen insight into this area. I understand that when you see a low budget solution to something you were lucky to experience in a high tech environment, that you are not impressed. Thats Ok. but remember Aussie was just havin a bit of fun doing something that most of us could not come close to. and his test was valid although not complete.
Good enough to entertain me.
And I already new that the 904 and port job would be restricted by the stock air box, and thank you for pointing that out.
But many other visitors to NBR will still find the post interesting and get to see the changes made in stages, as I neglected to add I would finish off with a air box delete. as recommended by you.
And further to that mod, I was more interested in getting an increase in the torque zone more than high rpm. sure there is more to add about this issue, but just trying to keep it simple for now.
but keep up the interesting contributions as it gives us all something to do.:c

coopv2

Street Tracker
And to all those that say, Oh I have seen that test before, its been done a thousand times, we know that already... etc etc.
Well then, change the channel or go away, some of us do not know it all yet. some of us are just looking for some interesting reading to pass a couple of hours while there is crap on TV, or its raining out side. some of us do not have a life. so get one.

Thanks Coop for bumping this thread up coz I missed it the first time when I was in my own little funk.

Just read the whole thing and what I gleaned was that Aussie's tests were valid coz they were relative to each other and I applaud him for taking the time and the effort to set up his test rig, bugger about with different airbox configs and share the results with us. Thanks mate!

Mikenva and yourself with dyno access are in a position to validate Aussie's tests though not really necessary as it's been done before by Ventura & Pieman and probably others but like you say, a "refresh" should always be welcomed and thanks for sharing your setup & results too.

Speed3Chris is probably a very nice bloke and technically very knowledgable (or good with Google :eeek: ) but he does need to take his head out of his arse on a forum like this coz, whilst most of us can follow him, the big words are there for his benefit more than ours I think.

BTW, I have ridden through 3 monsoon seasons here in Thailand (where it rains so fucking hard you can't see 20 yards and turns the roads into rivers in an instant) and with my snorkel removed and a K&N airbox element, have not missed a beat. I did have to have the indicator relay replaced at first service when a retard at the local dealer decided to pressure wash it ;)

Cheers,

Pikey.

mikenva

Rocker
I try to help new guys so they dont spend time and money and not get much for it.I have to pay for dyno runs just like everyone else .I have allso done most of the bs people that try to save money are doing only to learn one thing its a big waste.If you want power get rid of the stupid airbox ,you can cut it up and save money if you dont want to pay for a kit.I knew this before all the testing pieman and v did Ask them if I didnt tell them the same thing and guess what they both run pods now .That should tell whats what ,why waste time and money on old news ,theres way more to learn about these motors then we know.I learned what I know about them from my own testing and many others testing.
Besides it being old new you know whats wrong with aussies test you can not measure air flow with out controling flow pressure ask anyone that knows flow benches they will tell you the same thing.Did you know that even the fan motor heat can change your flow readings .I told him that when he started his test but he is to smart to learn anything .Know how I learned it ?I built my own flow bench when I started i had near the same setup he has after testing it with a real flow bench it was easy to see it did not work.He knows to much to try that and see for his self.
I hate to see people that dont know read bs and think its right.Maybe i should just shut up and let them waste there time.

whats wrong with aussies test you can not measure air flow with out controling flow pressure ask anyone that knows flow benches they will tell you the same thing.

That is where you are wrong for a start Mike, David Vizard has been working with flow benches for 50 years so he probably knows a little more than you on this particular subject yet he considers a flow device without any control of flow pressure to still be a valid device for measuring flow capabilities. I've pointed this out to you before here and on other forums but you chose to ignore it. Maybe it's not me that's too smart to learn anything.

http://www.gofastnews.com/showthread.php/980-Porting-School-2-Super-Cheap-Flow-Bench?highlight=David+Vizard

Maybe i should just shut up and let them waste there time.

I wish you would, just for once, instead of following me around rubbishing anything and everything I say about Triumph twins regardless of its validity. I carried out these tests in a careful and transparent manner, presented the resulting data in a clear and unbiased way and I'm prepared to let the readers of the forum make up their own mind as to its usefulness.

I get it that you think it's BS and I'm sure that everybody else does by now but it sure would help your argument if you presented hard data instead of just shouting BS every time somebody posts a positive comment in this thread.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Hell no Aussie - everyone does not think your test is BS ! You and Pieman and Ventura did good work. Cutting up the airbox is now proven to be a good "work around" to pods, if an owner wants it, which I do. Thanks very much and sorry some are giving you grief for no good reason, but I would guess probably 90% of readers here have a positive opinion of your test.

mikenva

Rocker
pieman and ventura did do good work but in the end pods rule.Been proven over and over again even by pieman and ventura they are smart guys I like both of them .
SAL i guess he has fooled 90% of the readers if that true lol beleave what you want I dont care.

mikenva

Rocker
aussie I have nothing to prove to you.I am not out to prove a thing to anyone just dont like seeing people mislead guys that dont know any better.The guys that know me know I tell it like I see it.You read something and swear its true but thats not allways the case .Maybe you might learn more talking to the guys at superflow and other people that make top flow benches .I even gave you info once but know your guy is right everyone else is wrong so you know to much to learn anything .I am done have fun with that junk lol.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Speed3Chris .. probably .. he does need to take his head out of his arse ... the big words are there for his benefit more than ours..

Couldn't agree more Pikey! But even dumb ol' Blue here likes big words, too. Actually this little gem came from the 'Lass. What you were describing up there in that quote was a "rectocranial self-extraction".

:)

jphickory

Banned
Couldn't agree more Pikey! But even dumb ol' Blue here likes big words, too. Actually this little gem came from the 'Lass. What you were describing up there in that quote was a "rectocranial self-extraction".

:)

Ya'll remind me of a bunch of junior high girls.

MES

750cc
Ya'll remind me of a bunch of junior high girls.
OMG 11!!11 you are such a bitch :)

this has turned into quite a pissing contest.
Is the winner decided by distance, volume or accuracy?

if it's by volume, i'm going with :beer:
if it's for distance, then I'm going with :piss:
if it's accuracy then :d . Guess it depends if the target is stationary or moving.
I'm in for a Fiver.

:wtf: