Airbox flow testing

drlapo

Hooligan
we got thoroughly soaked last year at Bennington
well not me as I was wearing my Barbour jacket
I rode my Thruxton with a Unifilter, no snorkle and a Polaris bellmouth: no water problems

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Here's a quiz for all the airbox wizards here:
What are the three reasons that airbox snorkels exist on virtually all cars and bikes sold throughout the world? :)

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Just take the snorkel off.... it will be okay I promise.

And in time you will appreciate that intake sound. Some evenings I am twisitng the throttle just to hear that.... in any case, give it two weeks ad then if you want to put it back on...well, you won't want to .....

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Sal, the snorkel is sacred. It is the embodiment of Bernoulli, Noah and Decibel.
Removing it would be sacrilege. I am also lobbying to have a motorcycle hall of fame built down at ground 0 instead of a mosque...or at least a Triumph dealer ;)

Jimbon

Scooter
You have to read between the lines sometimes, Speed3Chris:

a 'highish pressure hose' means a garden hose attached to a bathroom tap.

I have absolutely no doubt that this gives less water pressure and ingression than riding through a rain storm at 70-80mph, after which I decided to coat all the exposed electrical components, especially the Bonnie's coil, and connections with Forch Ziebe S421 dielectric silicon spray.

The snorkel's gone, Sal, as I know that it's part of an air/noise restriction system fitted by Triumph to comply with a European environmental law testing regime that chokes the performance of my bike and justifies this by claiming it cuts pollution, while increasing my gas consumption by 5mpg.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
You have to read between the lines sometimes, Speed3Chris:
Hard to know your audience Jim. Some refer to what you call a high pressure hose as a garden hose. I own a high pressure hose and it is connected to a 7 hp engine and pump. Further to say a bike incurs more water incursion when riding in a rain storm at 80 mph versus localized application of a garden hose is absurd. It isn't about net volume of water assault but rather focus of water or volumetric flowrate per saturated surface area. Your comparison isn't even close. A garden hose is way more invasive. All depends on how you direct the hose of course. Freedom of choice and stick with it. :)

Last edited:
It isn't about net volume of water assault but rather focus of water or volumetric flowrate per saturated surface area.

:huh:

The application of an unnecessarily complicated description of a simple physical process in order to both appear to know what you are talking about and to bewilder your audience is a tactic you seem to commonly resort to Speed3Chris. Your otherwise valuable contributions do however become tainted by its use.

We Aussies have a name for a person that resorts to the use of big words and complicated descriptions of basic processes in order to appear more knowledgeable than the "lowly commoners" that surround them, we call them stuffed shirts and, on occasions, sadly, you certainly do come across as just such a person. I, for one, wish it were not so.

With all due respect your argument that the soft spray from a garden hose is more detrimental to a bike than being ridden at speed in a rain storm is patently ridiculous no matter how how much you try to complicate or confuse the argument.

Now, I really would like to know what process you use to wash your bike? Just a basic description in layman's terms would suffice.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
:huh:

The application of an unnecessarily complicated description of a simple physical process in order to both appear to know what you are talking about and to bewilder your audience is a tactic you seem to commonly resort to Speed3Chris. Your otherwise valuable contributions do however become tainted by its use.

We Aussies have a name for a person that resorts to the use of big words and complicated descriptions of basic processes in order to appear more knowledgeable than the "lowly commoners" that surround them, we call them stuffed shirts and, on occasions, sadly, you certainly do come across as just such a person. I, for one, wish it were not so.

With all due respect your argument that the soft spray from a garden hose is more detrimental to a bike than being ridden at speed in a rain storm is patently ridiculous no matter how how much you try to complicate or confuse the argument.

Now, I really would like to know what process you use to wash your bike? Just a basic description in layman's terms would suffice.
Aussie,
I was trying to explain the distinction between a rain storm and a harm of the direct path of a garden hose. Where we disagree is you don't understand the language appropriate to make the distinction. This makes you feel bad and resort to insults...your self image problem really. We come from different worlds and you should learn to embrace all people, those technically trained as well as others like yourself. :)
In hindsight, I should have never introduced science into your thread about hooking two vacuum cleaners to an airbox...lol. I should leave you to your ignorance which is the basis for your intolerance.
A last ditch effort excluding scientific terms. Aussie, what is more invasive or harmful? A squirt gun in the eye which shoots much less water volume than a garden hose....or looking up during a rain storm? There is no hope for the human condition if you can't fathom this...comical.

Last edited:
Where we disagree is you don't understand the language appropriate to make the distinction. This makes you feel bad and resort to insults...your self image problem really.

I've seen you use this one before too, are you sure its me that has the self image problem?

I was not trying to insult but to draw your attention to the fact that your unnecessarily complicated descriptions and over use use of technical jargon is largely inappropriate for the audience you are addressing and make it appear that you are full of your own importance. It's a motorcycle forum not an engineers conference.

It strikes me as odd that you most often resort to the use of this tactic when you are arguing from a very weak standpoint and you appear oblivious to the fact that it doesn't bolster your argument at all, it has quite the reverse effect.

Normally this wouldn't bother me but I do respect your opinion and value your input so this one flaw really gets up my nose, it just devalues all of the good work you've done and saddens me.

I have a question for you, would you rather be sprayed in the face with a garden hose from six feet away or ride a bike at 70Mph in a rain storm without a visor or goggles?

Now, are you going to enlighten me as to how you go about washing your bike or not?

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Normally this wouldn't bother me but I do respect your opinion and value your input so this one flaw really gets up my nose, it just devalues all of the good work you've done and saddens me.
We are different people from different backgrounds is all. Even your comment earlier about Aussies having a name for a guy like me is laughable. You are insulting your fine fellow Aussies. Your perspective is through your lens Aussie and not all Aussies. I believe your comments are simplistic and you believe I add needlessly complexity to make my argument.
You know why there is no middle ground? Your statement above.
You see I accept your ignorance on the subject of airboxes and your earnest attempt at testing. I tried to add perspective. You like some of the things I write but you tee off on one trait that you can't tolerate. I have many flaws Aussie. The point is, I could have dismissed you completely by not participating which in hindsight I probably should have. I was trying to educate and engage others who are like minded and those who have an affinity for learning which includes me.
I don't want to go any further on this. For a couple of reasons. I don't like insulting people...you will likely disagree with this as well...and I don't further want to lower forum decorum which should be light hearted.
Have fun and look for the best and not the "one thing" that really bugs you about some guy on the internet.
I tried and I am out.

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
FTR, I have ridden my bike in some serious heavy rain, many miles, as I used it to commute last summer 65 miles a day during one of the wettest summers on record. The bike never faltered under heavy rain, even sans snorkel.

Jimbon

Scooter
Hard to know your audience Jim. Some refer to what you call a high pressure hose as a garden hose. I own a high pressure hose and it is connected to a 7 hp engine and pump. Further to say a bike incurs more water incursion when riding in a rain storm at 80 mph versus localized application of a garden hose is absurd. It isn't about net volume of water assault but rather focus of water or volumetric flowrate per saturated surface area. Your comparison isn't even close. A garden hose is way more invasive. All depends on how you direct the hose of course. Freedom of choice and stick with it. :)

It has a spray attachment.

tezza

Street Tracker
seems to me that the manafactures and engineers( Who think they are smarter than us mear mortals) would take into account that a motorcycle is likley to get wet being ridden in rain ,being washed ,sitting in the rain outside the pub, that this just might be taken into account. i have been washing bike with a hose for 35 yrs dirt bike and road bikes and dont see the issue and all my bike got covered in shit cause i rode them every day as they where my only transport.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Thanks y'all for a lively and informative discussion! I really appreciate all the effort that went into the vacuum test, the results, and then the excellent explanations given out by those who are better schooled in these matters than myself. I've been schooled about gas laws and seen various theories in practice but this type of discussion is exactly why I enjoy reading these forums in the first place and why I always read Kevin Camerons articles.
Please continue to teach and explain to all of us who want to learn, for I am a student of life and my head is like a sponge!

mikenva

Rocker
me thinks someone would learn more on a dyno and a real flow bench if they put away the slide rule.By the way 5hp gain is a 10% gain on a 50hp motor.The other side to it is it may amount to much more then 5hp if the motor breaths good.What piemans work proves is what you see as max hp with the airbox is all you will get with pods there is no limit.A stock head flows 185cfm how do we know what aussies test show for flow there is no control on flow pressure.If you cant control flow pressure you cant know what flows what.

Last edited: