What do YOU guys want if you could have it made?

strokerlmt

If you noticed I didn't jump in on the flip seat. Rodburner said 'it" a lot betta than me. I don't need to get to my battery. When I do I take the seat off. I also like to take the seat off when working on the bike. Nuff said from me....don't let anything I say cool any enthusiasm.
LMT

TXRider60

Scooter
Coming from a lot of years on BMW Airheads, I'm used to their simple "hinge" system which has obviously stood the test of time: Two "vertically flat" hooks on the right side and a locking latch on the left side. Seat lifts and stays in place to allow access if and when it's needed-- and is quite secure when locked down. "Yust a thought", respectfully submitted from an old guy who's a new Bonnie rider.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Coming from a lot of years on BMW Airheads, I'm used to their simple "hinge" system which has obviously stood the test of time: Two "vertically flat" hooks on the right side and a locking latch on the left side. Seat lifts and stays in place to allow access if and when it's needed-- and is quite secure when locked down. "Yust a thought", respectfully submitted from an old guy who's a new Bonnie rider.
A pic would be helpful. Anybody own an Airhead with a hinged seat they could snap a pic of?

Last edited:

Heizer

Scooter
I didn't read through this whole thread--so pardon if this has been suggested--but something I found myself needing recently were some decent footpegs to spread out for long rides. I don't care for the 'billy bars' I've seen, and don't want to attach engine guards, (and fit pegs to them). Is there a way to create something that will clamp inconspicuously to the frame and fold down when needed?

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Relative to the hinged seat....Tx emailed me the picture below. Would be helpful to see the mating hardware geometry on the bike but this suggests it can be done successfully even though it is a bit unclear how the mechanism works...maybe Tx will chime in.
One consideration is the BMW seat pan maybe much more rigid than the bonnie seat pan because it is designed for the hinge mechanism. The workaround there for bonnie seat hinge development is to add structure to the pan in combination with the hinge...question being....whether that structure can be contained with the existing seat height.

AirheadSeatAttachment.jpg

Last edited:

TXRider60

Scooter
As for actual mounting, the two hooks "attach" to one top frame rail... They're just tight enough where the seat has to be properly positioned, then pushed into place, where they "snap and grip". The other (left) side has the hole (much like in a padlock) that the locking bar or spike enters. Doesn't sound like it would be secure-- but thousands of BMW riders swear by its security-- and simplicity!

Regarding the seat. Another alternative would be same as the 900 T/bird with a lock on side. This resolves the issue of not having to remove bolts and also means the hinges are not required so seat underside has no need to be strenghened. Will post a pic as soon as bike and seat are together again. But I was really impressed with this seating method on my T/bird and for the life of me cannot understand why Triumph never done the same on the Bon

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Regarding the seat. Another alternative would be same as the 900 T/bird with a lock on side. This resolves the issue of not having to remove bolts and also means the hinges are not required so seat underside has no need to be strenghened. Will post a pic as soon as bike and seat are together again. But I was really impressed with this seating method on my T/bird and for the life of me cannot understand why Triumph never done the same on the Bon
If you ever wonder why a product doesn't have a particular feature you feel just makes plain sense, look no further than why companies like Triumph make motorcycles...profit. If they can take a quarter out of every bike they make which they don't feel will hamper sales, they are going to do it. The guys designing the bikes and seat attachment etc, consider an array of options. It generally comes down to cost/benefit. I look forward to your pics. Btw, do you think that classic Tbird attachment hardware could be adapted to the bonnie?

do you think that classic Tbird attachment hardware could be adapted to the bonnie?

I think it could.
My seat is up in loft while I work on bike for safety. But I will take pics of both seat and frame attachment when back together. Unless another 900 T/bird owner on here can do it sooner?
The other advantage of this method is it still pushes 4ward into the grips on each side before locking. So you dont lose any of existing mechanisms.

Actually just thought of an even easier way! why not just add a key lock where bolts fit at back? This would hold seat in same positions and make seat removal very fast

Last edited:

Deano

Two Stroke
Sorry if anyone has already asked this, but will you guys ever be looking into a bullet proof, reasonably priced, well balanced carrier, luggage rack set up for the Scrambler???? Lots of guys seem to want them. Only a few clever buggers have been able to make them for themselves, but something is needed for those of us who are not good welders or engineers.
Also, what about a blank cowling/windsheild set up??

Last edited:

pattybilt

Scooter
Sorry this has been taking so long, some things came up and this has taken a back burner seat, I am working on this asap though, I have the prototype made and I am testing it as often as possible, along with steel foot pegs, I have been scraping pegs with both myself and passenger, basically Im trying to run this thing through the ringer. The t100 doesnt mind being ridden like a sport bike though. :)

Last edited:

Kframe

Street Tracker
Lower foot pegs. Would help reduce the bend in the knee. They could be thinner than stock and get the same results. :(

Do a search here and on the other site for "Modre foot pegs". Modre is a member that for a while was making a nice set of lowering brackets.
Some people occasionally sell their set, original price was around $60.
-K