My New/used bonnie, 7 mods in 7 days

coopv2

Street Tracker
Hi there Mod fans,
Well I recently took the plunge and purchased a 9/2007 Bonneville.
Having owned more than 30 motorbikes over 34 years of riding, many Jap, about 10 Harleys, and 2 Ducati Monsters. I reached a point where I needed something different to play with. So here is a few shots of my progress this past week, All before I had taken her for a ride.
Lets start with the stock shot of the bike on Tuesday morning as it arrived from Newcastle NSW. with 4500klm.
picture.php

coopv2

Street Tracker
Stage 1

first of all, had to lower the rear end, found some 12" billet shocks from ULTIMA.
very well priced and seem to work well enough for me, perhaps a little firmer than stock, but I like.
picture.php

Last edited:

coopv2

Street Tracker
Next was the silver covers on the engine, A can of Black engine texture paint, and some wet & dry paper, some tidy masking and tadah.
picture.php

coopv2

Street Tracker
Then on to the CLARET RED paint, that had to go as well, shortened the front and rear fenders before a sand up with 3M dry sand pads, and then a spray with KILLRUST epoxy flat black in a can, this stuff takes 6+ hours to dry on a hot day, so a little help to promote fast cure with the hot air gun,
and while the paint was drying I fitted a set of DELUXE bars,
picture.php

coopv2

Street Tracker
Next part to go under the knife was the Exhaust system, removal of both mufflers was the plan, then chop off the left side turned up section of header pipe, buy a few stainless mandrel bends from Tube Bend. I have to say at this point it is easier to build a pipe when starting from on end and proceeding to the other, but twice the work to make a good fit between 2 points. but after some curses, I got it sorted.. on to the collector, and the EMGO muffler.
picture.php

coopv2

Street Tracker
The main problem I have noted with the reverse cone Emgo muffler, is that it suffers from a farty sound that makes for a unfavourable exhaust note, BUT I have a cure...
First you need to remove the end cap, and core.
Then remove the pitiful amount of shitty fiber glass packing,
Purchase some quality Ceramic wool muffler packing, cut a piece taking into account that the muffler is tapered and you still need to get the core back in past the locating plate.
Next is the most important, you need to fill the space between the muffler core and the reverse cone cap. (this eliminates the fluffy sound)
Use some perforated pipe, or solid tube. I chose to use some punched louver core... the louvers face out in order to trap some of the reversion pulse.
Sound was much improved, Slightly loud but ok for me.
picture.php

coopv2

Street Tracker
I also fitted some smaller indicators while waiting for the courier to deliver a new back tire.
Ordered a Dunlop K591 sport..... 160/70/17 this tire was designed by Dunlop specifically for Harley Davidson, to fit onto smaller rim widths without rolling the profile.
Specifications list to fit a 4.5" wide rim.
but the bike and rim it was intended for on the Harley Deuce, only measures 4.1/4"
and I have fitted these onto 3.5" rims before.
it measures 159mm on the stock bonnie 17x3.5 rim. but has a higher profile, which fills out the space under the fender, and raises the bike off the ground a half inch.
picture.php

Had to pull out the sides or the rear fender to make sure there was no clearance issues. It is a snug fit so watch the tail light harness if you follow my lead.
picture.php

Last edited:

coopv2

Street Tracker
Final post for this episode.
Here is the new look, I know it wont please some of you, and if you dont like it then exercise your right to change the channel.
for those who do admire the change, keep an eye out for some more changes coming soon, Bye now. Coop
picture.php

strokerlmt

Coop....very nice work especially the exhaust modification......
LMT
Bike looks great....I never really warmed to the claret color.....

shanerides

Scooter
Final post for this episode.
Here is the new look, I know it wont please some of you, and if you dont like it then exercise your right to change the channel.
for those who do admire the change, keep an eye out for some more changes coming soon, Bye now. Coop
picture.php

Much improved! The exhaust mod is really sweet!

coopv2

Street Tracker
Thanks ShaneRides,
checked out your bike, like the D&D's too, Had that same look in mind when I started the pipe chop on mine. really love the new sound now. Guess it wont be long before I get busted for excessive noise. Ha.
coop

AceT100

Rocker
Nice...you gonna do something about those shiny side covers too?

I feel some pinstripes on that flat black....

ivar

TT Racer
I'd suggest a D9 bracket (or make your own) to center the speedo, would look good with those bars

Also, got pics of what you did to the silencer to get the sound you wanted?

coopv2

Street Tracker
nice work. If it ain't black take it back!

Let's see some pics of those bikes in the background.
hi there sweatmachine, thanks for the praise, your bike was one of the first mod posts I checked out. like what youve done. I can post pics or you can click on my name and go direct to my web site.
the background bike is only a damage repair I am doing for a customer.
but here is a few quick pics to wet your appetite.
Only the black ones just for you.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

AceT100

Rocker
hi there sweatmachine, thanks for the praise, your bike was one of the first mod posts I checked out. like what youve done. I can post pics or you can click on my name and go direct to my web site.
the background bike is only a damage repair I am doing for a customer.
but here is a few quick pics to wet your appetite.
Only the black ones just for you.

picture.php

Thats really nice work

Nice bikes. You must really like that Injun powerplus motor eh? I dig it. My fave you posted is the shovelhead though. Lots of nice bikes you have there!

Craigore

TT Racer
that Ironhead is the tits. I'm buying one off a friend for 2k this winter. Did you custom build the frame or is it an aftermarket?

Back to the thread, the Bonneville looks great! What are your feelings so far?

coopv2

Street Tracker
Nice...you gonna do something about those shiny side covers too?
I feel some pinstripes on that flat black....
Side covers will stay glossy for now but you read my mind about the stripes. think I have to lay down a big fat gloss black off center stripe.

I'd suggest a D9 bracket (or make your own) to center the speedo, would look good with those bars

Also, got pics of what you did to the silencer to get the sound you wanted?
Good plan, I have a whole new front end and custom wire wheels going on later, and was thinking ... mini guage, mini LED's. and a LED Tacho I have laying around, also have a 5.3/4 headlight to go with the minimization.
Here is some muffler pics for you...(usually I wrap the packing with Gaffa tape, hundred mile an hour tape, cloth tape. etc) but was out so masking tape is a good second.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Nice bikes. You must really like that Injun powerplus motor eh? I dig it. My fave you posted is the shovelhead though. Lots of nice bikes you have there!
Managed to pick up 5 of the Indians. 2 down 3 to go, and the 120" (2000cc) shovel is running 230psi cranking compression, baisley in the USA has just ported the heads for more power,

that Ironhead is the tits. I'm buying one off a friend for 2k this winter. Did you custom build the frame or is it an aftermarket?
Back to the thread, the Bonneville looks great! What are your feelings so far?
Frame is a stock 1985 sportster one, the bike was a one owner 11000 mile gem, I first made a simple jig to hold the rear axle in place, then I cut the back end off the bike, used the axle plates off a softail swingarm and made new tube work to suit. But you can get all sorts of weld on hardtail rears for most years of bike.
picture.php

rodburner

Rocker
Nice work on all those bikes.Glad to see you aren't shy about "wrecking" a good bike to make it something special. Your crossover pipe looks great. I have ZERO patience,so I just cut off the centerstand mounts and went straight across.
Keep it up.