My New/used bonnie, 7 mods in 7 days

coopv2

Street Tracker
thanks for the pleasant reply's guys. cause you all have been so nice here is a wheel teaser, Still waiting for some special sprockets being made in the UK to arrive. could not find anyone in Oz with any 43 tooth blanks that I could machine to fit these wheels. so tick tock tick tock...WAITING
BEFORE
picture.php

AFTER
picture.php

And PIKEY, sorry I like weird things, Maybe if the jacket had black sleeves.???
Do you know any leather tailors in Chiang Mai you would trust to make this style but all black?

thanks for the pleasant reply's guys. cause you all have been so nice here is a wheel teaser, Still waiting for some special sprockets being made in the UK to arrive. could not find anyone in Oz with any 43 tooth blanks that I could machine to fit these wheels. so tick tock tick tock...WAITING
BEFORE
picture.php

AFTER
picture.php

And PIKEY, sorry I like weird things, Maybe if the jacket had black sleeves.???
Do you know any leather tailors in Chiang Mai you would trust to make this style but all black?

Don't need to apologise to me mate. Different stroke e.t.c ;)

Got your PM and PM'd you back and yep, maybe black or black & grey/titanium. Hell, it would be a lot cheaper than $1500 - you could get the jacket and a flight here for that!

BTW, IMO, you need to flat black those side panels too. Actually, I was thinking about some kind of ram-air louvred sidepanels for my bike. I reckon they'd maybe improve the top-end a bit?

The wheels are gonna look nice - what sizes?

Cheers,

Pikey.

Nice bike....I agree with Pikey...flat black the side covers.....
The wheels would be incredible black as well.....
LMT

Or just powdercoat the spokes and leave the hubs & rims as they are. A lot of work to unlace/relace them but it'd look pretty funky IMO.

Cheers,

Pikey.

cafenoir900

VENDOR
BTW, IMO, you need to flat black those side panels too. Actually, I was thinking about some kind of ram-air louvred sidepanels for my bike. I reckon they'd maybe improve the top-end a bit?

Cheers,

Pikey.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... might be able to make a set of those for you in carbon or glass... cool idea. Shall we chat?

coopv2

Street Tracker
I did think about flat black side covers, but I like to go against the grain, and multiple contrasts makes for a more interesting picture,
so for now the plan will be to locate some used engine covers, and get them Gloss Blacked to match the side covers,
I have new gloss black fork legs sitting in the corner to match the engine covers,
but for the wheels, I like the black spoke idea but they would be too much hassle to strip and coat black, got to keep the budget low. So staying chrome.
As always, thanks for your comments.
Its comforting to know that our motorcycles are a reflection of each individuals taste, no matter how weird and f**ked up that may be. :yawn2:
But thats what keeps us all coming back to this site. Right?

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hmmm... might be able to make a set of those for you in carbon or glass... cool idea. Shall we chat?

Thanks for the offer but it wouldn't be practical, what with me being in Thailand and you in the US. What I had in mind was 3 or 4 vertical louvres facing forward on each panel and a few holes in the R/H side of the airbox to get more air in at speed - currently I have just removed the snorkel and bunged in a K&N. I like the idea of keeping the airbox as I understand if you remove it completely, you gain top end at the expense of a bit of low down power. Maybe some louvres would give the best of both?

Being where I am with cheap labour, getting them laid up in glass or even formed in metal is fairly easy. If I pursue the idea I'll share it here for sure.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Bonniebret

Rocker
Nice work, Coop! You're bike looks great however I'm not sure about the wheels. Either way you're quite the craftsman and seem to having an amazing shop to work in. Keep the pics coming!

coopv2

Street Tracker
I REALLY, REALLY hate those wheels. :shrug:

I understand your dislike of the wheels. I am not too fond of 3 spoke jap style wheels, but they look good on your bike with the other mods you have done to complete the package. perfect for the cafe racer thruxton style. ( as I have said before, You have done a great job with your bike)
Really I just like a change from the normal, the wheels were cheap, and laying around the shop, maybe not a perfect choice, But the good news is nothing is permanent in this life. I may fit them up and say to myself 'I really hate those wheels' In which case I will fit another type of wheel.
............................................................................................
Both....

Its a Triumph, not a HD

Sorry ACE but its a custom bike now, no longer a stock Triumph, not trying to be a HD, Even if I fit a pile of HD parts to the bike, its never about trying to make it look like either, For most of us Custom is about being different,
I remember back in the late 80's I fitted a small bikini fairing to a cafe HD I made for a guy, and everyone said ' aarhh that looks like a jap bike' my answer was. 'NO' but in 1974 Harley was sanctioned to race with a full fairing,so what jap bike had a fairing in 1974? none.

But hey, I like it that the changes I do stirs up other peoples thoughts, and welcome all the opinions. at least I am giving you something to talk about, thanks guys .
Coop

strokerlmt

Coop......you will find that Sweatmachine has very very strong and fast opinions about everythinggggggg. He is a wealth of knowledge. I wish I could mentor him into teh real estate biz....he could make a lot of money ;)
Meanwhile keep moding away. Bike looks good. I'm looking for some cheap air scoopes for my side covers......
LMT

coopv2

Street Tracker
Coop......you will find that Sweatmachine has very very strong and fast opinions about everythinggggggg. He is a wealth of knowledge. I wish I could mentor him into teh real estate biz....he could make a lot of money ;)
Meanwhile keep moding away. Bike looks good. I'm looking for some cheap air scoopes for my side covers......
LMT

Thats Ok I like what sweatmachine has done with his bike and respect his opinion on what I am doing with mine, No problem there.
After 25+ years customizing motorcycles and cars I realize that I have to have a broad sense of taste to work with some of the strange shit people want done to their bikes,
usually i form a plan on where the design is heading, but with this bike Im not that worried if I try something and a week later I dont like it no more, I will change it.

What sort of scoop, louver in, louver out, semi recessed, metal rivet on, bonnet blower style, scribble me a pic and PM me, interested in the idea .

Pikey was talking about a few vertical louvers AKA old school bonnet style

Last edited:
I understand your dislike of the wheels. I am not too fond of 3 spoke jap style wheels, but they look good on your bike with the other mods you have done to complete the package. perfect for the cafe racer thruxton style. ( as I have said before, You have done a great job with your bike)
Really I just like a change from the normal, the wheels were cheap, and laying around the shop, maybe not a perfect choice, But the good news is nothing is permanent in this life. I may fit them up and say to myself 'I really hate those wheels' In which case I will fit another type of wheel.
............................................................................................

I'm with you on the 3 spoke wheels in most cases. I'm glad you like my bike, you have good taste (for the most part ;)) and I appreciate your compliments. Thanks again.

If the wheels are cheap, available, and easy enough to fit (and un-fit :D) then I say go for it! I'm glad you are open to the opinions of armchair quarterbacks like myself.