My New/used bonnie, 7 mods in 7 days

picture.php

Had an 84 XLX61 until some bat-eyed bint in a car took me and the bike out. Loved that bike and love the look of yours too (the chop, not the stocker).

Cheers,

Pikey.

ivar

TT Racer
Here is some muffler pics for you...(usually I wrap the packing with Gaffa tape, hundred mile an hour tape, cloth tape. etc) but was out so masking tape is a good second.
picture.php
thanks,

I had those same Emgo's on for one season, didn't care for their "blatty" sound either, even after repacking. Interesting with that endcap mod

coopv2

Street Tracker
thanks,

I had those same Emgo's on for one season, didn't care for their "blatty" sound either, even after repacking. Interesting with that endcap mod

looks a little tacky in that shot, could have sand blasted it but its covered in carbon now anyway, the tack welds hold a small locating sleeve to keep a snug fit between the core and end cap. its reversion trap ability's would be greater if it was 6" longer, but good enough for now.
Coop

coopv2

Street Tracker
Had an 84 XLX61 until some bat-eyed bint in a car took me and the bike out. Loved that bike and love the look of yours too (the chop, not the stocker).

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hey there Pikey,
hows the weather in Chang Mai?
Thanks for the comments, Here is a shot of some iron you might enjoy, it was in an American magazine, and came up for sale online, customer asked if I could make him something similar for half the bucks. and did my best to relieve him of his cash. its a cool bike, a credit to the builder. cheers mate.
Coop.
picture.php

picture.php

coopv2

Street Tracker
that Ironhead is the tits. I'm buying one off a friend for 2k this winter. Did you custom build the frame or is it an aftermarket?

Back to the thread, the Bonneville looks great! What are your feelings so far?

Hey Craigore,
What year iron head you buyin? please dont say 1974!!
my first HD was a brand new 1982 25th anniversary XLCH roadster.
had gloss black engine covers, maroon and silver paint, and the superglide gas tank, Man I loved that bike.
Back in 82, the Harley Dealer and Triumph dealer were directly opposite each other in Hay Street, Perth. W.A. I was looking in the window, at this all black bonnie with mag wheels, shaved fins on the alloy heads, and I think it had gold pin stripes, and I wanted to buy that bike, but I looked down and there was some drips of oil under the new bike, So I thought first off I would check out the sporty, salesman got me by the balls... talked me into the roadster. and here I am 27 years later, full circle, on a black Bonnie.
isn't life great.
I would say buy post AMF if you can, but good luck with your purchase.
Coop.

Hey there Pikey,
hows the weather in Chang Mai?
Thanks for the comments, Here is a shot of some iron you might enjoy, it was in an American magazine, and came up for sale online, customer asked if I could make him something similar for half the bucks. and did my best to relieve him of his cash. its a cool bike, a credit to the builder. cheers mate.
Coop.
picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for the pics - I really like the bobber look and if I could get hold of a wrecked Bonnie, would do one myself. I did what I called my "Fonzie" bike about 15 years ago using a stolen recovered T140. You'll have to excuse the pic but it's a scan of a poor quality original - pre-digital days!

FonzieBonnie.jpg

The weather in CM is great but don't like to talk about it much here when our North American cousins are freezing their knackers off! ;)

Cheers,

Pikey.

coopv2

Street Tracker
Cool shot, it was clear enough to get the idea.
have you thought about looking at our Australian insurance auctions for a donor bike, Manhein Fowles, or Pickles Auctions.
Seen a few good deals there. Bid myself a few times for hardly damaged bikes until the desperado's pushed the price too high.
just a Thought.
cheers.

Thanks for the complement. It was a POS when I bought it - bent frame, cracked paintjob of a Viking bird on a dragon with her tits out, ran rough as guts, e.t.c, e.t.c. A mate and me Motolinered the frame and rebuilt the top end, my brother-in-law did the paint and then it was just a bolt up job with the wideglides being made by another mate who worked on a CNC machine at an Aerospace company.

Yeah, have given some thought to sourcing a bike in Oz and also investigated buying a DR650 there and bringing it in. The problem here is the import duty - just about doubles the cost of everything. Kind of ironic now that with the Bonnies being made here. If I bring it in in parts, then it's only 30% tax but you can't get it on the road legally without stumping up a large wad more. Maybe in a few years there will be some here on the secondhand market.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Craigore

TT Racer
Coop, the one my buddy has is a 73. 4 speed, kick start only, right side shift. It starts right up and kicked over after a few times even in the cold. 2k too much for this? sorry to jack the thread haha

coopv2

Street Tracker
round 2 with new mods

This session I am installing LED tacho/shift light, thats been put away for some time now, and as I have not hit the rev limiter yet, I thought I should make sure its not reving past the safe RPM limit.
Also fitting a basic tail light and plate mount, removing the AI, and fitting a modded air-box, pro com ignition, carb mods, etc.
first off is the mounting of the LED shift light.
dug up some small stainless steel tube, and some S/S flat bar.
Made a cardboard template for clearance and hole spacing.
cut out... drill... weld...check fit, sand blast, then paint and fit.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

coopv2

Street Tracker
Here is a final side shot of the LED shift light,
It can be activated to function as a tacho with shift or as a shift light only, can be made to scroll clockwise or anti,
flash or no flash, just start the programing with the bike warmed and idling,
wait for it to learn the idle zone, and use the supplied stick to push the micro button to learn the 3000 rpm point. I used a snap-on dial back timing light attached to the spark plug wire in tach mode.
hold at the 3000 rpm and push the micro button again...Done.
Then you can set the start, and finish points on the tach,
It will auto adjust the other LEDs between those 2 points and finally set the point you want the center LED to activate as your shift point.
picture.php

coopv2

Street Tracker
here is the new LED tail light with plate mount. just a cheap off the shelf item. and to keep the law off my back, I have fitted a couple of mini reflectors to the frame hole plugs,
when the seat is fitted they are just visible from a driver view point.
picture.php

A few years ago while tripping around the USA I picked up some dice while in Vegas, finally found a use for one..... on the choke knob.
just run the drill in and tap. used a same thread screw from the back of the choke plate out. and screwed on the new lucky dice.
picture.php

coopv2

Street Tracker
here is a shot of the AI unit before removal and the clean frame area after removal
picture.php

picture.php

and this is what you need to pull apart to get the Air box out.
Looks messy but really was the easiest thing to achieve.
picture.php

here is the inlet on the modded box I purchased, it has these 2 venturies, one on the other side where a new hole was cut. and this one that i removed.
then with a heat gun I softened up the inner oval and with leather gloves moulded the hole into a better shape. Yes more air.
picture.php

But I guess the next restriction will squash any major gains had here,

coopv2

Street Tracker
carbs

Here are shots of the jet changes and slide mods.
Screw driver shows the pilot jet hole, and to the right is the main jet.
went with the recommended 42 pilot. the air box I purchased came with only 125 mains. which was probably fine, with the 2 small vent pipes. now with the bigger opening I decided to drill out the stock 110 mains to 130 as a starting point.
And will hold on to the 138 & 140 mains I have till I get her on the dyno this week.
I went out and purchased some thruxton needles from the dealer, as he checked and said that the 2007 bonnie and thruxton (T12Y5013) had different part numbers, but when they turned up, they were stamped same as my stock ones (NBZT) so for now I fitted a shim under each,
looking at my manual I see the speed master has a bigger main at 120 stock and a different needle number.
I am sure with a little searching the info can be found. later.
picture.php

Drilled the vacuum supply hole out from 2.5mm to 3mm
and radiused the leading edge of the slide to improve flow...
Yes I know all this can be achieved with a dynojet kit, but this is a poor boys mod page.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

coopv2

Street Tracker
self hyjack

last but not least...
Nothing to do with a bike mod, but found this cool jacket online and at $1500 USD. it won't be ending up in my closet
picture.php

Cool mods Coop and will be great to see the finished project. Thanks again for taking the pics and posting. Love that shifter LED - really neat install.

That jacket is as camp as a row of tents and no mater how cool the Bonnie ends up, wearing that would undo any street cred in approx .001 of a second! Glad your conscience and wallet kept you away from it ;)

Cheers,

Pikey.