If you touch my junk...

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
What I'm seeing a lot of here is "It doesn't happen to me so I don't care." Okay, just wait until you take a family vacation and it's your wife or 11-year-old daughter going through the see-through-the-clothes machine or getting the pat-down. See if you feel any differently. If you don't you're a moron.

That's not the point at all. I'm saying that the scaning is useless untill everyone at every airport has to do it. Why scan people at big airports and not at the little ones? Any loop holes into the system have to be closed if the scaning is going to be at all effective. Right now the scaning is a useless inconvienence that is not likely to catch anyone. I'm all for saftey, but at the moment the scaners are not helping anything IMHO.

koifarm

Hooligan
Considering the ease that these terrorists arrive and leave the US, it all seems like a wast of time.
From what I can see, if they really want to get here, just cross the border in Texas, Arizona and Calif, walk across with relative impunity. Why the hell bother with trying to get on an aircraft to enter? If they want to blow one up, get the explosives locally, get hired on as a ground person at the airport, slip a bomb in some baggage and boom.
Seems like a whole big waste of time and money to go to the lengths they are using now. Sure, you need some security at airports, I don't dispute that, but be reasonable about it, scan the baggage, inspect the passengers in the most expeditious manner and bag it with the "touchy feely" kind of intrusion going on of late. I'd draw the line at touching or patting down. The Xray scanners should be all they need. If you want to do the kind of searching they do now, scan the passengers, profile the ones you want to cut out and full search and go from there. No need to put absolutely everyone, especially kids, through the indignities of full body touching.
Just sayin'

ssjones

750cc
I conclude that anyone scanned is almost assuredly not going to have an explosive device on them, so that's one less fool to blow up a plane. They should move these machines around randomly. To be honest, I don't want to fly with someone who refused to be scanned - what are they potentially hiding?
Having said that, the TSA is definitely doing a poor job recruiting and than training folks. I encounter a lot of people I would term "numbskulls" in TSA roles. I also encounter a lot of decent TSA folks. They need to swing the needle the other way. With all the vast unemployement in our nation, they most definitely should not be having difficulty recruiting a higher caliber individual. Now the training and management of these folks, that's a whole different matter. They sure don't seem to hold people who make judgement errors accountable, but that is rampant in government work, not sure why that organization would be any different.

Gretsch

Rocker
To be honest, I don't want to fly with someone who refused to be scanned - what are they potentially hiding?

I guess you wouldn't want to fly with me then. Too bad, I bet we'd have a great time talking about bikes etc. The only thing I'm hiding is a titanium rod in my tibia. :w

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I think the terrorists are behind the entire TSA. They won by making many people's lives miserable and nobody has noticed it was them all along. Sneaky bastards.

I can't wait until I get pulled aside for a pat down. That is the exact moment I will let one rip and then tell them I get nervous during foreplay.

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
I think the terrorists are behind the entire TSA. They won by making many people's lives miserable and nobody has noticed it was them all along. Sneaky bastards.

Spot on. They have scored an important victory. They've managed to get your rights eroded a little piece at a time and even managed to get a sizeable minority agreeing with it or asking for even more.

DandyDoug

750cc
Watching this thread and having a conversation with my wife last night, we both wondered what would happen:

if you showed up at the airport, got in line for security ,and where you would normally only remove your shoes, and you just flat out stripped down to say a Speedo for the guys or a Bikini for the woman and then refused the body scanner.:)

Would you get the full pat down ?
Arrested for ???
Applauded by your fellow passengers ??

koifarm

Hooligan
Watching this thread and having a conversation with my wife last night, we both wondered what would happen:

if you showed up at the airport, got in line for security ,and where you would normally only remove your shoes, and you just flat out stripped down to say a Speedo for the guys or a Bikini for the woman and then refused the body scanner.:)

Arrested for ???

There is probably some obscure law against disrobing in an airport lobby...but your idea does have some merit.
My guess is, though, that they would insist on a pat down so really just full nudity would be the best bet, perhaps, for modesty's sake, the women could wear two band aids and a cork for minimal coverage and the men, maybe just an old gym sock would work.
Just sayin'

mark66

TT Racer

Arrested for ???

Most likely all three!!!
1. TSA would say they have to pat you down anyway because its in their rules, doesn't say anything about clothing optional.
2. Arrested because your questioning their authority.
3. It's a great show, you have to applaud a great show.

strokerlmt

1)Arrested for some weird "taking your clothes off law".
2)Still insist on a pat down....they would expert a female implant boob bomb or a male double ball bomb.
3)Three minutes of applaus from the other passengers...then the TSA will call out Swat because they believe there will be a riot.
LMT

Dave

Street Tracker
Back when my kid used to fly into St. Louis, I would have to pick him up at the gate (unaccompanied minor) and I had to go through the security... they somehow always "randomly" selected me to get the full treatment. I wasn't even flying. I would go and have some sandals and shorts and a t-shirt, they would wave the metal detector over my bare legs. Like from the knees down, with shorts on. I always thought of them as fucking morons. A lack of common sense really gets to me. I usually ask them when I'm standing in line with no shoes on, "when is the last time this floor was mopped with bleach water?" Of course they have no idea. Fucking disgusting. I'll be flying in a couple weeks, I wonder how I'm gonna let it play out when I get there. Sometimes I like to make a scene.

DandyDoug

750cc
During my working days I flew all the time, got sick of it and try my best to avoid flying if at all possible.
I need to be in Germany next May for some family stuff and am already dreading the flying part of it.
I swear if there were a reasonable way to get there by boat I'd do it.

cynr1023

TT Racer
We get a body scan and a wand as we leave theater, our bags are dumped and rifled through, so what. The only reason it bothers me is because I then have to repack it. I don't see what the issue is. You don't like it, stop flying. Can't stop flying? Shut up, and deal with it. People are worried about their diginity? Have you seen the images those scanners show? I'd be more concerned about the TSA sap who has to watch that shit all day long, because the percentage of people built like Eva Longoria or Brad Pitt is few and far between.

Dave: Common sense....so rare it might as well be a superpower!

Gretsch

Rocker
We get a body scan and a wand as we leave theater, our bags are dumped and rifled through, so what. The only reason it bothers me is because I then have to repack it. I don't see what the issue is. You don't like it, stop flying. Can't stop flying? Shut up, and deal with it. People are worried about their diginity? Have you seen the images those scanners show? I'd be more concerned about the TSA sap who has to watch that shit all day long, because the percentage of people built like Eva Longoria or Brad Pitt is few and far between.

Dave: Common sense....so rare it might as well be a superpower!

Military personnel give up some of their privacy rights as well as rights to a civilian trial etc. so your military experience doesn't apply.

I can't stop flying unless I quit my job. I'm not going to quit my job and I'm not going to sit down and shut up about it either. What I will do is opt out of the scanners and MAKE them do the invasive search. I can then take advangage of this time to do two things:

1) Slow up the process for everyone else. (Like Dostoevsky's Underground Man, I delight in awakening the sleepers with my groans. )

2) Exercise my 1st amendment right to let the TSA agent know that what he's doing is wrong.

In addition to privacy, there are legitimate concerns about radiation.

KingBear

Hooligan
I believe the concerns over radiation have been found to be negligible, that that's irrelevant. As Gretsch rightly points out, air travel is not a luxury, it is as much a right as walking down the street. It is freedom of commerce. We have meekly submitted to reasonable and, to a certain degree, unreasonable monitoring and regulation all for the illusion of security. The government does not have the right to say how much is too much, that right rests with the people. Remember how furious some people were over the federal government monitoring international monetary transactions in an effort to intercept funding of terrorism? And that was all done quietly, not publicly. How was that wrong and yet this is okay? I vehemently disagree with the notion that somehow we need to just suck it up and take it or just not fly.

I also don't allow myself to be searched or required to present receipts when exiting a store. I didn't give up my right of protection against unwarranted search simply by patronizing a business. Yet people line up like sheep, patiently waiting for permission to leave the store with the goods they paid for just a few feet away. Really? Is that the kind of people we are?

And one last thing - I have as much a right to privacy as the hottest supermodel or the studliest man. The fact that I'm a fat, bald old man doesn't give me less of a right to privacy, if anything it should give me more. Whether the screeners find the images to be titillating or disgusting is not a factor. I won't shut up and I won't deal with it.

Last edited: