CNN/AP: Bin Laden Dead

whyme

TT Racer
Ditto. I was on the Turnpike yelling at my 7 month pregnant wife because she was going to make me miss my 9am meeting. We did make it as far us right under my building to watch plane 2 go into it....time to run.

We used to walk through WFC to WTC and I would go up and my wife would continue walking to Water St. She would have been right about underneath where the first plane hit.

I really would have like to see Bin Laden hanging from a crane at the WTC site. That's what they would have done.

drlapo

Hooligan
That's gotta be a strange feeling.
Were you in a cab on the way? Or still at home, how did you find out?
-K

things were very confusing that morning, my 10 am meeting had not confirmed and I was hesitating to go into the city for just the 9 am meeting
I postponed the 9am meeeitng and I was still at home trying to confirm the later meeting at 8:45

KingBear

Hooligan
For years there have been some who have said we need to put 9/11 behind us, stop dwelling on it, don't watch the footage or even talk about it. They seemed to think that somehow we would be better off if we would just forget it ever happened. It is the ultimate form of denial. I have always equated this to a person trying to hand me a towel and telling me I needed to dry off, while I was still in the shower with the water running. It's not time. I'm not ready for that yet.

I refuse to do so, not only because of what happened on that day but because it isn't the past at all. Every day since then we have been embroiled in the war on terror. It's effects have been with us at all times, at all places, in our news, our entertainment, our music, our travels. 9/11 is not in the past, it is the present, it is today.

Putting that pig out of our misery is a great step, but it brings us no closer to ending this war than we were week ago. And if you hear anything different from anyone, especially our illustrious government officials, ask them why we are still stripping and getting full-body scans at airports. See what they do before you believe what they say.

casper

Two Stroke
One phrase i came across, with the death of Bin laden, was ''the law of unintended consequences''. When Bin Laden started his evil scheme he set in motion a lot of things, that he and his partners in crime never considered. Some of those consequences have meant heartache for many people across the world.

Let us hope that Bin Laden's disciples or followers will not be able to follow in that awful man's footsteps.

He , as we say on this side of the pond, made his bed and he has to lie in it. I don't think anyone would have expected him to come back on the helicopter alive and well. After all a trial would have been horrendous and detrimental to the USA. He lived by the sword....he died by the sword.

I think from the posts, it must have made an enormous impact in the USA. It did here in the UK but we were less directly affected, although there were a fair few Brits killed in New York too. An awful horrific event.

I just hope that these terrorists will never hatch and deliver another awful plot. I respect your rescue fire and police services. Also there have been some amazing stories of great courage and bravery in the face of that evil; by ordinary people who did amazing things to rescue people and help others.

God bless you all over on that side of the pond!

Casper

KingBear

Hooligan
I just returned from a business trip to the Norfolk area where my boss and I visited with some of the navy personnel who support the teams. They gave us each a copy of the local newspaper from the day after the announcement was made, with the one-word headline telling the entire story...

Attachments

• DEAD.jpg
    DEAD.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0