Building up a Thruxton.

Motley

750cc
$100 isn't too bad really. While I like the look of the Scramblers, and I love that Jack Pine Scrambler, they seem like they might be a bit heavy for off-road. They'd make a good gravel back road explorer though...hmmm. Now you've got me thinkin' Scrambler.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
The specs say 410 lbs (dry) and my Kawasaki KLR is rated about the same. Scrambler is almost twenty more HP and only lacks suspension height to go the same terrian. My buddies have moved on to GS series BMW`s and freeway stints are a drag with a single after 100 miles. The Jack Pine would take me all the places I need to go at this age (no more single track for me) so that style would be perfect for what I do with them.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Hopefully this picture will show up. Found a guy about 50 miles away that bought a new Scrambler and right away took off the pipes /seat/bars and risers. Got a screaming deal on them and I am cheap.

Spooned on a new Dunlop 606 and mocked up the rest, looks like this will be a much better idea than the Speedmaster transplant.

arrgh, upload fail...

strokerlmt

The specs say 410 lbs (dry) and my Kawasaki KLR is rated about the same. Scrambler is almost twenty more HP and only lacks suspension height to go the same terrian. My buddies have moved on to GS series BMW`s and freeway stints are a drag with a single after 100 miles. The Jack Pine would take me all the places I need to go at this age (no more single track for me) so that style would be perfect for what I do with them.

The swingarm was a nice try......I have taken over 100lbs off my Bonne and really like the lean ride.
LMT

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
The swingarm was a nice try......I have taken over 100lbs off my Bonne and really like the lean ride.
LMT

100lbs! That thing must rip!

Got a lot more done today, hope to ride it next weekend if I can fab up the pipe to megaphone reducers.

The big swing arm/wheel would have added more weight to the bike, not a good thing. Oh well,the universe took care of that problem.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Spooned another big knobby on the front, looks like a Tonka truck and will probably turn like the Bismark but dam it looks cool.

Cut the bottom off the air/battery box to open up the area behind the motor. Ran out of places to hang electrics so cut the airbox side covers to match shortened battery box.

Still have to do some tuck and tie for harness.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
She is off the stand and on the ground. Got to mount gauges,tie up some wiring then can test ride. Part Thruxton,Trophy,Scrambler.

Will the dam thing work? :chin:

Attachments

• thruxler on the ground 12 30 2012 004.jpg
    thruxler on the ground 12 30 2012 004.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Thanks guys, appreciate the kudos especially from this group of talent. I really enjoy making weird stuff. Sometimes they even work!

Dammit. I want to run the thing but my neighbor has a two year old + a newborn. They suffer my moto noises and smells quietly so am very respectful of new baby time. Retirement will get me the hell out of city living and a place where open megaphones can run free.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Well got some time to mess with it and I did something wrong putting it back together :nose:

Spins with good compression but only backfires thru the carbs. A shot of starting fluid just makes a bigger bang :chin:

Cam timing out 180 deg? Gonna pull cam cover tomorrow for a look see.

rodburner

Rocker
put some slicks on it and it'll be a sweet Bonnie Motard.. Great job K.
[but the slider guards gotta go..]lol

Last edited:

Flaco

750cc
I'm going to diss this thread...
Just because it's better than my build... :worthy:
Fantastic!

Carry on mate!

Allin...

aka...
Boat anchor Bonnie...

BTW,
That's my girlfriend in the forground of your avatar...
How did you get that photo?
Oh! Now I know... You took it off my FaceBook page!

Last edited:

vitz

Scooter
Working a thruxton cafe build and maybe might want to pick up the speedmaster swing arm and axel from you.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Rode her around and it is real fun. Swapped pipes back as it sounded funky,too blatty is best way to describe it. Looking for some predators/staintunes/etc. to get some better sounds.

Attachments

• Thruxton first ride 2 2013 002.jpg
    Thruxton first ride 2 2013 002.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
it looks so good with those high pipes though!

Yeah, the Scramblers 270 crank sounded wayyy better with open pipes than the 360 does. If I can find something else to use the up pipes will go back on.

The stock Scrambler muffler weighs 17 pounds!