Building up a Thruxton.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Hello forum,

Recently picked up a crashed Thruxton. Have another frame in the mail which will get either powder coat or nickle plated. Prefer the nickle plate but powder coat has come along way and looks dam good. Always on the hunt for parts, so will check out that section here.

We also do the BUB Speed Trials at Bonneville salt flats every year. Any other forum members headed out in August?

Jim

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Got my replacement frame, hope to start swapping parts over in the next couple weeks. Considered nickle plating the new frame but they are sadly pretty ugly with only bits showing anyway , so will go powdercoat instead.

Attachments

• thruxton 005.jpg
    thruxton 005.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0

Motley

750cc
Got my replacement frame, hope to start swapping parts over in the next couple weeks. Considered nickle plating the new frame but they are sadly pretty ugly with only bits showing anyway , so will go powdercoat instead.

Keep us up to date with lotsa pics there Jim. This has the potential to be an interesting thread.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Ok, just to make it a roller I stuck a front end off a Triumph Trophy 1200 that lost the motor so was parted out. Head set bearing size looks to be the same, hmmm... If I can flip the rear wheel and it fits the swing arm then she will run 17" sport rubber and have some real big brakes.

I prefer the look of shouldered alloy rims so this will be a challenge, but I have wasted more time and money on even stranger projects with less chance of success.:stupid2:

Attachments

• Trophy parts 010.jpg
    Trophy parts 010.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

looks dangerous already :c
I am just curious......why dangerous......everything gets bolted on.....make sure things line up.....take it for a casual spin.....vibs wobbles whatever comes up....I think it is a great project ....I would cut down the fender and lumpy front look though.
LMT

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Man, life gets in the way of motorcycles sometimes. Finally got the lump into the garage for teardown (little woman thrilled its not in the backyard anymore). The short story is it was ridden at speed into the side of a taxi,folding the frame into an origami shape.

I knew it had a cracked top motor mount and was not sure what would be found once it was out of the frame. If cases were junk it would be parted,if not then repair and ride.

Mount was broken off clean with no other case damage :cheers:
Will take it by a great welder thats local here to see if salvagable or if a new head is needed. Frame was so twisted I had to sawzall it to relieve pressure on the head to get the engine out!

Have lots of pics but they not upload for soem reason,working on it.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Not given up, got a kid in college and we did Bonneville Salt Flats racing for a week end of August,never enough time. Evidently my pics were too large or too many so will post slooowly.

Now it say my files failed to upload...such is life.

Attachments

• Thruxton build Sept 13 2012 010.jpg
    Thruxton build Sept 13 2012 010.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Yep, it goes to an excellent fabricator tomorrow who also holds a couple of land speed records. It broke off clean and should be a strong repair.

Now the washing machine just lost its tub seal and soaked the carpets...I swear it never ends.

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
Ok,it was a pinhole in pump drain hose and not the tub seal :rock:

Took motor by the shop,he says to do it right it has to be a bare head because it gets preheated to 500 deg. Sooo,while its apart might as well play clean up the ports/lumpy pistons and bump sticks.

I was hoping to get it back together fast and ride, but now we will save up for some of the stuff I see you guys are doing to yours.

A local to me Triumph dealer I was talking to at Bonneville says they have 130 hp kits, sounds like a grenade waiting to happen but is worth looking into.

Anyone here try a turbo on these motors?